Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

I recently (5 months ago) brought a set of bosch gpf 119 plugs. They are now toast (pic) They were a little carboned up so i cleaned 3 of the 4 to take a photo. Looks as if they have melted through the outer casing.

Any ideas why???

Would starting to run WVO be part of the problem? I prob run a 90 wvo 10 dino mix. I have only been running it for a few months probably only about 1500km.

cheers
    Brad.

Re: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Hi marsden.

It looks horrible!!

I'm only fairly new to the forum but I'm being bold and having a guess that before any of the WVO legends in here begin to answer your question you will need to tell them what your setup is and how you are cleaning your oil.

From my lowly level of experience I would dare to guess that WVO would harm a few other components before it would glow plugs, especially in that short period of time.

BUT!! I could easily be wrong. I'm still learning.

Good luck!!

My set up is a twin tank, pollak valve, inline heater, fuel filter heater, injector line heater, all run off coolant. engine is a mitsi 4m40 turbo. I purge about 3km.

cheers

I take it you drive a Mitsubishi Delica ,Triton or Pajero.

How long does the GPs relay stay on for?

Regards
    Last edited by Fitian; 21st September 2008 at 09:25 PM.
    Fitian
    <><

I find this very interesting as I have a Triton 4M40 non turbo.

2 winters ago I discovered starting was getting difficult. Removed all the glow plugs and tested. 1 was still working.
    New from Mitsubishi they wanted $73 per plug.
    Off ebay I bought some new ones, for about $45delivered for 4.
    They didn't last very long before looking exactly like the ones in your picture.
    Some testing told me the have a very long after glow. They stay on until the coolant temp gauge is up to, or past the 'C' mark. At least 5 - 10 minutes when it is cold. <10oC.
    I then added a swith to the control circuit so I can heat the plugs, turn em off then start the engine.

This goes in line with what I am thinking. They stay on for longer than what they can handle.

WVO got nothing to do with it in my opinion.
    Fitian
    <><

Yes is a Mitsi Delica 4m40 turbo.

I just recieved this from Bosch.

Bradley, the Diesel guys have examined the pictures and are of the opinion that the erosion is a result of over fuelling. We recommend you have the fuel pump settings checked.

Robert (Bob) Tait
    Robert Bosch (Australia) Pty Ltd
    Supervisor
    Service Engineering Group
    Automotive Technology
    Aftermarket Service

I have heard the relay (staying on for a long time) is hard on plugs but does it erode them on one side?

How are your plugs coping with the new switch set up Qwarla, the extended relay time is probably unecessary in warm climates like ours?

Fitian I read that you did a conversion on a delica any problems??

cheers

Both my brother in law & father in law drive Triton 2.8 turbo diesels. Both run only dino diesel & the glow plugs only last about 20-30,000K maybe a wee bit longer. They've tried more expensive better quality plugs but still have a short life - must be a Mitsubishi thing - I doubt the WVO alone is the cause.
    MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Hi Marsden,

I have a Triton with the 4M40 motor and have just replaced the glowplugs.....again.
    I bought some cheap chinese crap off Evilbabe and this is the result after only 3 months

They were CSK or CST brand with the part number CP-05.
    The tips had totally disintegrated and had mushroomed out so badly I had to pull them with vice grips to get them out of their hole.

I think it down to the quality of manufacture rather than WVO.

I've just replaced them with Bosch GPF 119's. Now it seems like I'm only going to get another 5 months. I would have thought Bosch should be pretty good quality (made in Japan).

Classic I have just ordered the same el cheapo plugs you had previously... only $10 each about 1/3 the price of Bosch... Am thinking of puting some sort of switch relay to the bussbar to control the glow time if the over heating is the problem?