Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Re: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    20+ seconds! I'd call that almost a failure to start, anything over 2-3 seconds needs improvement. 20 second starts will drastically reduce the life of the battery as well as the starter motor. Not worth it to save a few dollars on glow plugs.

JJ,
    20 seconds at 4A is S.F.A. compared to engine cranking currents.
    Our Mercedes C250Ds usually glow for 20 - 30 seconds from cold, before the glow light goes off. My old 300CD glows for ~10 seconds, but they are operating on full 12V, whereas TBIRD's 2 GPs on a 4 cyl engine are on half battery voltage and it still starts reliably.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

JJ, I think T bird is talking about glow time, not crank time. I agree 20 seconds of crank would almost kill your starter in time. 20 seconds of glow though wouldn't be an issue.

To be clear, I'm referring to the glow time. Cranking time was a couple of seconds or so, possibly 3 -4 compressions.
    Agreed, 20 seconds of cranking time would be a fail.!!
    What is encouraging is how little current and glow time is required! Also what surprises is how long I can leave a hot engine sit cooling off and still restart with zero glow. Today it was over 3 hours parked in temperatures of about 12C. When I turned the key to on position, the engine temperature gauge only just moved. The engine fired perfect with no glow whatsoever.

Nothing to do with wvo you are using, high FFA and its affecting the metals? My direct injection toyota has no preheat at all, removed it years back, starts perfectly on whatever you use. Then again its not as cold as some parts here.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Oo
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird650 View Post
    To be clear, I'm referring to the glow time. Cranking time was a couple of seconds or so, possibly 3 -4 compressions.
    Agreed, 20 seconds of cranking time would be a fail.!!
    What is encouraging is how little current and glow time is required! Also what surprises is how long I can leave a hot engine sit cooling off and still restart .....whatsoever.
    Ok glad you cleared that up. Is your engine a direct injection? Mine is indirect and needs glow plug heat to start when cold. Yet my Toyota Dyna which has a direct injection starts instantly without glow plugs?? Think it has 14B engine
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Is your engine a direct injection?
    1998 IDI 3.0L, (engine model 5L) as fitted to the van in my avatar pic.

Hi Matt,

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    My direct injection toyota has no preheat at all, removed it years back, starts perfectly on whatever you use. Then again its not as cold as some parts here.
    Apparently, most direct injection diesels do not actually require glow plug assist for starting until the ambient temperature is around 0deg C.
    Above that temperature glow plugs are used to help reduce emissions during warm-up.

I have read several posts on different forums with direct injection diesels that have expensive/ difficult glowplugs to replace, it is common practice to wire a resistor into the glowplug wiring loom to "trick" the ECU into thinking the glow plug is functioning.

I simply removed mine by wire and preheater extraction from engine bay. A bit tidier and less to be concerned about.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Well the reamers arrived and I pulled the glow plugs out of the Peugeot and checked them all, they were all good. I run the reamer down the hole and nothing happened, they were all clean as a whistle which is a bit disappointing. The cars done close to 400k 150 of that is on Bio I was expecting a bit of carbon build up. So Ill have to look somewhere else for the cold start issue it has.
    If it stop raining Ill check out my hilux glow holes, and report back.

I removed the glow plugs from the hilux, and right away I could tell they were carboned up. They were difficult to remove as the carbon was hanging on to the end of the glow plugs. The bad news is the kit that I bought didn't have the right reamer to go in the hole, but there is a long reamer in the kit that is the right diameter so i shoved that in the holes and cleaned them out. I got quite a bit of crap out of each hole, and when i put the glow plugs back in they could be wound in with my fingers, so much better. The glow plug were checked and are all working, but starting to glow in the middle so need to be replaced. The lux now starts better, and doesn't have to be glowed for so long, it also less smokey and doesn't misfire when first started up so a good result.
    So if your thinking about it, if you can't drop the glow plugs in and do them up with your fingers then its time to ream the holes.