Thread: Warming/heating biodiesel

Warming/heating biodiesel

Hello all!

I was wondering if there's any benefit to warming/heating biodiesel prior to it getting to the injector pump? I read a post that said heating petroleum diesel would strip it of its' lubricity, but I wondered if this would be the case with biodiesel? I also read another post that said heating diesel/biodiesel before it got to the pump can give you an increase (albeit slight) in performance. Any credence to this?

Re: Warming/heating biodiesel

You are right, mineral diesel looses lubricity as it gets hotter, biodiesel retains a lot more of this property as it heats, therefore its a better lubricating fuel. Make it well and enjoy. Watch out for material incompatibilities.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Hi Matt,

So is there any benefit in heating it before it reaches the pump?

Thomas,
    The main reason for heating biodiesel is related to the melting point of the biodiesel. If biodiesel is made from oil with a high proportion of high melting point oils, the biodiesel may have cold weather flow issues. In this case, heating the biodiesel would normally be done before the fuel filter.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

I fully understand the qualities of biodiesel and CFPP etc, but what I was curious about was if there is any benefit in heating/warming the biodiesel before it hits the injection pump. I'm thinking better atomisation, that kind of thing.

My good friend Wayne often gives me some of his very well made biodiesel for my start up tank.

His bio does not gel during winter - I notice my mercedes performs far better on heated bio than on heated diesel.

my 2 cents
    Fitian
    <><

Hi Fitian,

Most interesting - are you running a heat exchanger or the like?

I've heard of another gent running a diesel/biodiesel heat exchanger type setup on his Mercedes-Benz. He claims to get quite a marked improvement in performance, so it's excellent to hear someone else sharing a similar success.

Looks like I'll be going ahead and fitting a heat exchanger to my auto-voiture!

I reckon a single coil heat exchanger installed before the filter is going to be plenty.
    Fitian
    <><