Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: land wanted to lease for new crop

Re: land wanted to lease for new crop

The Jatropha Saga
    Well i did fix the last post on the list of plants that can be grown for oil to eat or biodiesel production
    I have highlighted some of them with different colours as to me they are a good choice
    The most interesting thing that I have seen is the fact that our own Macadamia tree yields far more than this magic Jatropha, as well as the Macadamia the Avocado and the Jojoba does better as well
    None of them are restricted besides one can certainly know how they will perform in various regions
    One can get all the help they need from other farmers for a particular crop or tree as well as that the various departments will be more than helpful on the matter right here in this country
    I am not so sure if I got this Jatropha thing all wrong
    I dont see it others may see it
    So can any one out there please set me straight, please do it, if I am not seeing the forest for the trees
    No do not tell me that is drought proof it is not
    The Indian continent where some species of it grows as a native gets a hell lot more rain than we ever see here in this country
    And even though it does grow wild in the NT as well as WA and it is a declared weed as there as nothing out there will eat it, and when it rains it spreads via its seed that lay dormant until they get a good drink first
    I have yet to see or be shown some evidence that it grows in the dessert with out water or very little water
    So please all you guys out there on the Jatropha trip open my eyes
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have highlighted some of them with different colours as to me they are a good choice
    Thanks for that info Chris.

Rapeseed oil is the SVO of choice in Germany. Available at many bowsers there for $1.25/litre. SVO is excise-free in Germany.

Sunflower oil is popular in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Mostly bought at supermarkets for $0.80 to $1.15 per litre.

The current price of diesel in these countries is about $1.65/litre. (Petrol is about $2.10/litre. Road tax for a 1500kg petrol car in NL: $1100/year. Road tax for a 1500kg diesel car in NL: $2040/year.)

About the other oils you have highlighted: Do you have any info on their suitability as SVO, e.g. melting point and other properties?

Hi All
    Jake
    There is no reason that any of these oils could not be used as "straight" in an engine.
    Vegetable as well as animal fats share the same "in general" chemical structure they are Carboxylic acids
    It is accepted that there are saturated as well as unsaturated oil's in all of the naturally occurring "vegetable" "fats" or "lipids" in various proportions
    Given that the oil is extracted under normal manufacturing conditions I cannot see any reason the use of these oils, SVO for an engine would not be suitable
    There is a bit of an issue in so far as degumming or not for some oils
    The Europeans extract the oil from rapeseed or canola and use it as it comes out of the expeller without degumming it but filtering it first
    There are a lot of people who say that this oil has to be degummed before it is used as SVO or even turning it into biodiesel
    I personally do not have a position on that I am still scratching around for solid information
    Suffice to say that what is called "soapstock" the material which is removed when any vegetable oil is degummed or refined has been successfully used to make standard biodiesel
    Those "gums" are certainly in the oil May be Tony can throw some light on it as he has been an SVO user for a long time
    Cheers
    Chris

Chris,

OK, maybe I have been caught up on the Jatropha trip.

I'm told that macadamias do grow very well up here, and I'm much more comfortable with its impact on the environment, it being a native.

As I raise poultry, I would see a solid use for the presscake (top notch chookfeed, eh!), and of course there would be the selling value of the nut itself.

Anyone got any good info on growing/harvesting macadamias?

I'm told they take a long time from planting to produce.

Hi there
    The QLD department of agriculture will provide you with all the info you require
    As well as them the nurseries that graft these trees also provide cultural notes
    There a few varieties of the trees as well as two main "families" with some varieties bearing fruit quite early through selective breeding
    You are quite right the meal is an excellent feed for poultry the do well on it
    Since you grow poultry you may want to find the guy that grows Cape Barren geese somewhere in SA
    I come across him a few years back He was growing "Hemp" for seed production not the "Wacky Baccy" variety
    He reported a terrific conversion of feed to live weight far better than anything else he fed them
    As well as that he said there was a reduction of sickness and disease in his flock with a far better chick raising success
    Why I am telling you all this? Hemp oil is also a good oil producer makes great Biodiesel
    There are a few post's here on Hemp as well
    Food for thought! Well may be the geese, as well as the chooks and the diesel engine
    Cheers
    Chris