Thread: Things that go bang in my neighbourhood

Things that go bang in my neighbourhood

Home-brew fuel explodes - Northern Territory News

If you cant look at this link look at todays (saturday 4/10) NT News. Article is entitled Home brew Explodes

Be careful out there hey.

Actually I make mine in Darwin

Re: Things that go bang in my neighbourhood

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I wish we had more details, like why the drum exploded!

justin

The leason to be learnt here is 'NEVER LEAVE THE PROCESS UNATTENDED'.

I can see the way this is going. Before much longer new legislation will be introduced to make this practice illeagel.
    How long before someone is actually killed. That will be the last straw.

There is some excellent reporting there "distilling vegetable oil for fuel".
    Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

The reporter obviously did a lot of background research for the article.

There is no indication of what caused the fire but it appears it was the "distilling" ?

The media has a lot to answer for in many different ways.
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Qwarla View Post
    The leason to be learnt here is 'NEVER LEAVE THE PROCESS UNATTENDED'.
    Unless of course its about to explode, in which case unattend it!

I dont make biodiesel but would these be possible?
    Would a timer switch so it can only turn on for a set time be useful? (like the ones in public toilets where you push it in and it goes for a set period of time) perhaps a light also so you know its gone off. would enable you to go to the toilet, perhaps ithout making the 6:00 news?
    A temperature cutout so it turn off the heater if a temperature gets over 50 deg?
    Sorry if these are not suitable.

I think the journalist has proved you dont need to understand anything to make a good story. I wish it had lowered my oppinion of journalists, but i dont think its possible.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Don't put a heater in the processor is the safest way, I use a 4 ring gas burner to heat the oil prior to putting it in the processor..

How knows exactly what this bloke was doing?
    He may well have been firing up a still to do methanol recovery.

We don't have enough information to make and conclusions for sure.

One thing I can not accept is, 'Accidents will happen". There is always a chain of events leading up to any 'accident'. If any one thing in this chain of events is stopped/removed the accident doesn't happen.

One such event in this case is the time. He started heating up oil at 4:30 AM, then fell asleep. What else would you expect to happen at that time of morning.
    He either just arrived home form night work or awoke early, loaded the reactor and while it was heating sat down and nodded off.

At that time of morning I'm sure most of us would as well.

As far as I can tell he had placed a 20l drum of solid oil with one of those steel lids with the band on it on his gas ring to melt down. Unfortunately with no way to let the steam release the whole thing sort of turned into a pressure heater type affair and well the rest is history. When it got to the pressure where the lid popped off it also was sort of hot, and the oil caught, as did a number of other objects in the shed.

Some one did say, this sort of thing will just make it easier for someone to legislate that I wont be able to do this in my yard anymore.

I hope not. I enjoy making and if I didnt, I would be even more broke than I already am.

Be good out there

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Echidna View Post
    Would a timer switch so it can only turn on for a set time be useful? .................
    A temperature cutout so it turn off the heater if a temperature gets over 50 deg?
    I use both of those in my reactor. While they won't completely eliminate the risk they will certainly help.

But you can't compensate for a lack of common sense. If you don't have any (like this bloke clearly didn't), then don't do it!
    Sean