Thread: New User - gilligan (Darwin)

New User - gilligan (Darwin)

Greetings all.

Just a quick note to introduce myself.
    I have an 83 MQ (MK?) Patrol which I've been meaning to convert to UCO/UVO/WVO for about three years.
    (It's been sitting in my carport with no engine for at least two of those!)

I'm fairly well up to speed on the basics, having read a lot on the subject a while back, before deciding on which 4WD to buy.

What I'm interested in is:

-Hearing from other SD33(T) owners about their experiences.
    -Discussions on various oil feedstocks and the importance of iodine numbers etc
    -The looped return versus non-looped return issue
    -The usual stuff about the pre-filtering, storage, heating and in-car filtration of oil
    -Mods/adjustment to IPs and/or injectors

My planned setup will involve:

-Two tanks
    -Heat exchanger (Looking at the Telepoint units at the moment)
    -Some kind of in-car filter like a Racor/Vormax perhaps
    -Sacrificial OEM (Ryco etc) filter, not sure if I would try and heat this or not.
    -6 port Pollak - unsure about whether to use an additional purge solenoid
    -Etc etc

I don't want to create a new thread on all of the above; I'll be trying to post questions in the relevant areas to keep stuff on topic, but I just wanted to introduce myself for starters.

If anyone has any comments on the above, please feel free to PM me or point me to the relevant thread(s). (I'm trying to read them all, but it'll take a while)

I'm not at the installation stage yet; I still have a lot of welding and other body repairs to go, plus the fitment of a new (used) engine. But I'm well on my way as far as collecting and filtration, plus design and acquisition of bits for the system.

Oh yeah, I'm in Darwin but hoping to drive to Tassie soon, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone in those areas. The plan is to try and drive to Tas on oil, from some time late in December.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: New User - gilligan (Darwin)

Hi Gilligan,

Some of the issues you are wondering about are covered in the FAQ at the top of the forum, some are not.

Whatever you do at the start will not be how it is in a years time.

Running WVO in Darwin you will need to worry much less about fats that the rest of us, but you will need to be very careful about bringing oil that has been filtered in Darwin to the south without removing the fats as you head into the colder climes, or heat your lines and tank pickup now and be done with it.

Enjoy your learning curve.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Gilligan, and all.

funny you should come along. i have just inherited that nick name aswell.
    because of a change in jobs, i now find myself looking after 3 marinas in the syd harbour area, along with being able to pop upto Port Stephens every now and then. yeah i know, it's a tuff job, but someone has to do it

anyways, welcome to the greasy way of life. you will enjoy your new found hobby even tho it will test you along the way.
    (now imagine a YODA voice)

answers you seek, FAQ's you must travel, not only this site but others from distant worlds, research is knowledge, knowledge is POWER!!!!

right now back to reallity, sorry.....

if the answers are not there, then with the collective grey matter from this site and others from distant worlds, we should be able to answer some of your Q's. i for one am NO expert, but i have learnt by my mistakes and have used the force, sorry, to reap the benefits that come from wco.

the only good advise i can give is, cold filter to the best you can. given your climate, it will be tuff, but the further south you come, the more niggly problems you may find, especially with the fat issues, oh and keep a few spare throw away filters on board. i buy em for 4 bucks, so i am not about to whine about that when i have to change one, even if its only after 1500 kays. the savings i make in fuel is well worth it.

Cheers. H1K
    if it's FERAL, it's in PERIL.

i too belong to P.E.T.A.
    people eating tasty animals.

Here's something I knocked up today from

-A syringe / medical waste trolley
    -An eyebath basin

A couple of cuts and welds and voila.

I have an oil source who is happy to give me all his cottonseed, but he wanted something to make it easy to pour it directly (hot) into the drums.

I had all sorts of stupid ideas like tacking a frame together and then rolling a funnel cone from some sheet, then riveting, welding etc.

Ten bucks worth of crap from the tipshop was much easier in the end.

Pic attached - not sure how this will turn out.

Hi Gilligan,

Can you post this in a new thread please. It makes it easier for newbies and people searching for ideas.

BTW, looks smart. I wonder if it will fit under the fryers, I know it wouldn't in my suppliers shop. they've got a filter/pump but seem to enjoy giving me half a bucket of chips instead of filtering it out before they put it into my open top drums.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.