Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my Land cruiser 1HZ conversion

Pictures of my Land cruiser 1HZ conversion

Heres some pictures of my set up , my filter system, and transfering to my car. rider-x55 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    i can provide more if anyones interested
    Cheers
    Pat

Re: Pictures of my Land cruiser 1HZ conversion

Hi rider-x.

What have you done here mate? I'm refering to the T-fitting on your HE. Is that a temperature gauge or something.

Good stuff too!! Looks great.

(Edited later: Don't worry. I kept looking at your photos - It is a temp send.)
    Last edited by Socrates; 4th November 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Yes it is, i measure the water temp on the outlet of my second HE. its a mechanical temp gauge just adapted into the tee. I found it to be very accurate . I change at 50c.
    It is a bit bulky for my liking but works well.

Hi rider-x,

In order for your coolant to work (assuming you have tapped into the heating circuit) do you need to have your internal heater on, even slightly, in your vehicle for it to work?

In my Hilux I have bypassed the heater line. Though I am not up to the full testing stage yet I am uncertain as to whether coolant will flow through the HE unless I have my heater on. I can't see how it can work otherwise.

Can anyone else comment on this?

Thanks.
    Soc

you need to run it in parallel with your heater not in series. i teed the heater line where it comes out the block, i put the straight through to the 1st heat exchanger (path of least resistance ) and the other continues to the heater. i ran the return line from my second HE around the back of the engine and teed it back into the heater return to the engine. so tee the feed before any heater valve .they both share the same return to the engine, and you still select your heater on or off. i did read a post some where here that had a good diagram showing this, but info can be hard to find, i think it was 83patrol who posted it, this is the name of the post that talks about this. The conversion has started ! and stalled !

Quote Originally Posted by rider-x View Post
    you need to run it in parallel with your heater not in series. i teed the heater line where it comes out the block, i put the straight through to the 1st heat exchanger (path of least resistance ) and the other continues to the heater. i ran the return line from my second HE around the back of the engine and teed it back into the heater return to the engine. so tee the feed before any heater valve .they both share the same return to the engine, and you still select your heater on or off. i did read a post some where here that had a good diagram showing this, but info can be hard to find, i think it was 83patrol who posted it, this is the name of the post that talks about this. The conversion has started ! and stalled !
    Oh!!

I've done it wrong!!

I've currently got my heater bypassed completely.
    (Not hard seeing as how there's so engine in at the moment, but anyway...)

What I would like to know is: Is it going to be ok to connect my HE in series?

I understand why you would go parallel when running your heater core, but given that I don't have anything to parallel with, will it be Ok to run my entire heater hose flow through the HE?

Any comments from Patrol MQ (SD33) owners would be especially welcome

Gilligan,
    The point is that the heat exchanger should not go in series with the heater, although this is acceptable in some vehicles (which have constant coolant flow thru the heater and regulate heat by allowing air to flow, or not flow, over the heater), but even in these vehicles, a parallel connection with the heater is not a problem.

If you have no heater (you will get bloody cold in Tassie), the heat exchanger is used by connecting to the coolant pipes which should go to the heater.

You will also find that having a working heater is a requirement of licensing the vehicle and it can fail a road worthy certification if the heater does not work.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Ok - as I thought then.

Re the heater and rego - I would be surprised if it was required (or at the least, enforced) here

I agree, there should be little need for it in NT, but you have plans of driving it to Tassie and I am sure that it would be required there, at least for the demister function.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5th November 2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts