Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy biodiesel in Sydney?

Re: Where to buy biodiesel in Sydney?

Hi Lucas,

Firstly, a friendly word of caution about leaving youre private email in a public forum: There are spiders that crawl websites all day everyday collecting any emails that they see and building lists for spammers. Once you get on one, you can't get off. This site keeps your email hidden from any unregistered users, which keeps the spam spiders away. You can choose to display your email to other members from your control panel. Usually, it's best to request users private message you in the forum, rather than email direct. Once you're in a private message, you can swap emails to your hearts content.

Right, now on to more important things:

I've noticed we have another new member here from Hazelbrook (Fat Man), you may want to private message him too he may be interested in joining you.

As for your questions:

Cost - last time it cost us about $1.45/L, but this time we are hoping to fnd a way to buy it cheaper - see the post called "rutherford run". The idea is this time that we buy it much cheaper, but add a little on per litre to cover the transport costs. We should still (I hope) come in front compared to dirty dino diesel. This is not a profit making excercise for anyone in here.

Drums -yes you will need your own, but perhaps a generous soul might offer you a free empty.

Pump - yes you will need a pump too if you want to get the biodiesel out of your drum. You certainly won't be able to move it any other way out of the back of Gunner's trailer, unless you have a forklift or a crane. I use a rotary hand pump, which cost me about $120 but fits snuggly in the bung on the drum and pumps quite fast. Others in our group have used cheaper hand pumps, or 12V compressor pumps. I have a spare drum (cheers Gunner) and I pump from the full drum on the vehicle to the empty on the ground. This way you can move as many drums as you want as long as you always have an empty.

Containers - I also have a bunch of 25L containers, which I intend to use more of in the future. Unfortunately, when we get the fuel, 25L containers are a no-no as they would fill too quickly and be too impractical. I am working out a deal for us with a dude who sells these containers 2nd hand (they used to have pineapple concentrate in them and they are certified to carry "dangerous goods). I'll post something up on this once it's ready.

OK, sorry to get off topic, as this thread was originally for announcing places to buy. Can we all please use a more appropriate thread (just start a new one if you can't find one that applies).

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Thanks for that Robert, yes, I realised about the email after reading a few of the other posts so I edited it out (this is a very civilised forum!). I'll check out drums, pumps etc and will drop a line to see how you and Gunner are going with the next pick up.
    Lucas.

I've just moved the last bunch of posts in here to their own new thread "Green Station" Marrickville. I did this to keep this thread clean for other new announcements in the future. Seeing as this is now another purchasing option, I thought it deserved its own thread. Please go there to discuss it.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

hi there,i'm just new to this forum,I recently filled my 1981 landcruiser with its first tank of bio deisel up at the Peats Ridge Festival just north of Sydney which occurred on the 9th to 11th December.The whole festival was running on Biodeisel and i managed to swap a tank for some products from my stall there.
    It ran really well and I'm keen to get some more,even in large quantitys which i can store at the warehouse where i work out in Turrella.I have yet to check out the situation at Five dock.
    I live with a bunch of artists under the umbrella 'Mekanarky', (www.mekanarcky.com) we do enviromnental gigs and shows and recycled scupture.We have also experimented with Vege oil systems for old diesel vehicles and have been involved with promoting sustainable energy (www.earthdream.net) We have discussed the idea of having the bio deisel available at our space,either collectively purchased or made,any info on this would be appreciated, cheers Peter Strong
    Last edited by Robert; 9th January 2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Fixed link to show properly

We were looking for a place to store a 1000L cube (1mx1mx1m). They can be got for around $200 (maybe less) and can be transported in a van or ute or trailer, as long as you have a forklift to get it out at the other end. You may have a service station selling it just up the road from you in Marrickville very soon, but until then, you can buy some from Waterway Fuels in Rozelle, or from Rutherford. If you need to buy some with us when we make our next purchase, just keep an eye on this forum as we'll post up a note when we do.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Not really on the topic, but driving back from my hols last week, I was travelling through Kempsey and I noticed the 'Oasis' servo advertising Biodiesel. I didn't have time to stop as Sydney was still 6 hours away. I think the price was 1.28/L. I regret not stopping, I would have liked to chat with the proprietor to find out their source of supply. I was pleased to notice lots more diesel vehicles in the country areas - I hope at least some of them are running BD.

Actually, you are on topic here. I've also posted up the details of the Kempsy Servo (though I did not know it was called "Oasis") in this sticky thread here just a week or two back. They get their supply from Rutherford and I'm told that they have been doing it for a few months now. Best of luck to them. If you are passing, do stop in and support them
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

GREAT NEWS !

I am not sure if it has been publicised yet, but the "VALUE PLUS" service statrions retail biodiesel.

Here is a link to show there locations;

http://www.volumeplus.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=427

I am not sure of the ORIGIN, or Grade of their Biodiesel, yet.

I hope to go fill up there in a few dys to find out.

I'm increasingly getting annoyed about this Volume Plus distribution

I'm really happy that there seems to be biodiesel available, but the fact that they are being so secretive about it really annoys me. What have they got to hide? I've just got off the phone to them again after another failed attempt at getting information from them. I've just learned that I have to speak at the Alt motor show tomorrow and I've STILL got no real info to tell people about this other than "buyer beware".

The listing of servos is great, but not all of them stock it and most of the ones that people have reported do, can offer little info to the consumer about it. This really concerns me and I'd hate to see another ethanol debacle happen because of it.

If you can get biodiesel there, then great, but personally, I'm waiting until they can be a bit more honest and transparent with their consumers before I fill up. If it is this hard to get info from them at this point, can you imagine the hassle you may have going back to them if you had any problems with your fuel? I hate to talk like this as I'm all in for promoting biodiesel, but I really think that it needs to be better done than this. See the Future Fuels thread in the industry section for more info on this.
    Last edited by Robert; 19th May 2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Robert,

sorry if you wanted me to reply to this issue elsewhere but i wish to make comment on a couple of things.

It looks as though 'Volume plus' are selling a 'blend', that's about all anyone is willing to say, this doesn't mean much to the average punter (they probably think the diesel has a little bit of biodiesel in it), anyway my guess is that whoever the distributor is, they are hesitant to speak out because (due to oil prices etc) they are getting their fuel at a lower price and selling it at the same retail price as normal diesel, therefore probably making a decent profit??

Darren