Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Landcruiser engine??

Best Landcruiser engine??

Hi guys, just want to pick your brains. What is the best Landcruiser engine for converting to WVO. I would like to buy the latest one that I can, but I am not exactly sure when the engines changed.

Would a 1990 to 1994 model be OK?? Or do I need to go earlier than this??

I know the utes have a different engines to the wagons. But I am after a wagon. So which would you recommend??

Thanks.

Re: Best Landcruiser engine??

Sorry to not be terribly helpful, but IMHO there is no 'best'.

From '90 onwards they have had Bosch VE pumps which are complex beasts and require ample purging to keep them in good order. There are some mighty fine galleries inside them that can clog if you're not careful with purging. They cannot have much more than ??5psi pressure at the inlet of the IP, so you have to work out ways of getting ample supply to the IP without pumps pushing too much pressure to the IP. There are many engines of this era running 100% in a two tank system, so it's not a huge issue.

Models in the '90's came with DI and IDI, Turbo and non turbo. As a general rule, factory turbo's were DI, non factory turbo, IDI. See the first sticky about choosing between the two, and the warnings about DI up in the stickies too.

Earlier than '90 they had the inline Bosch pumps and an external lift or primer pump, which are regarded as stronger for cold oil if that is something you want to do. Again, there were some DI such at the 12HT in the HJ61 series, but most had IDI 2H engines in them. The 2H has no return line from the IP, so takes longer to purge.

The 60 series are good old trucks. If that's what you want, get one. If you want a more refined vehicle, get an 80 series and choose your engine from your research above.

You could probably even get a 100 series with an IDI engine running just fine. In fact I think I've seen some vids by Fitian of such a conversion. See the sticky on what has been successfully converted.

Some of the Nissans, such as the 2.8l in the '90's models - sorry I don't know their model names - have good potential too being IDI with the bonus that their sub tank is 30 litres which is a good size for start up fuel.

I'd steer clear of the electronically controlled engines personally unless I was running BioD, but would need a lot of convincing before I put a vege conversion on it.

So there is not just the base engine to consider. ID or IDI, comfort of vehicle. Size of existing fuel tanks. The Nissan for example has a switch already built in that triggers at ??60C, perfect for electronic control of a vege system.

No simple answers.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

I agree with Tim, I've got an 89 HJ60 with 2H engine and have had it for 2 years running VO and its a great vehicle. The engine has done more than 500000, about 100000 on VO and except for the initial set up problems, I've only had to change throw away filters on it. When I had to change filters on the road, I used to prime it with the separate lift pump, but now just change the filter, start the engine and open the bleed valve intermittently and off she goes. Even if I won lotto I would keep it, all it lacks is constant 4x4 operation and I don't miss that.

I know a bloke here in Tas who had a 93 GXL and he used VO in it, but had lots of trouble. The service cost of these vehicles is massive, so he swapped it for an 88 GXL after market turbo 2H and loves it. Like Tim I 'd stick to engines which have no computerisation, they are an expensive hassle. I can't wait to save up and rebuild my motor and turbo it to get the power and economy he does.

I think basically as you go newer, you get less options. I think you can still buy a 1HZ, which is indirect injection, probably non computer controlled, but these will be on a base model.
    In the 80 series you can get the same motor in a base model (non turbo) in a GXL either that motor or the turbo (a similar motor, rotary pump also, but direct injection) Sahara's (with all the extras to go expensively wrong)come only in turbo engines.
    The pumps in these engines do have the edearing quality of spitting the dummy (in the form of a o ring which leaks oil out at a huge rate) if they get air in their veggie oil also.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Thanks guys. All excellent information. It seems it is a little more complex than I first thought. Who would have known that there were so many engine variants in these things. I was hoping for a simple "yeah from 1992 on the engines went to DI" Seems this is not the case.

I am hoping for an 80 series, with an IDI motor. Is this at all possible?? What engine prefix or 'code' should I be looking for??

Thanks again.

Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle) NSW

Quote Originally Posted by edelbrock1 View Post
    Thanks guys. All excellent information. It seems it is a little more complex than I first thought. Who would have known that there were so many engine variants in these things. I was hoping for a simple "yeah from 1992 on the engines went to DI" Seems this is not the case.

I am hoping for an 80 series, with an IDI motor. Is this at all possible?? What engine prefix or 'code' should I be looking for??

Thanks again.
    1HZ is the 4.2 litre IDI toyota - standard in the non-turbo 80 series.
    I had a 1998 troopy with this motor, did 45,000 km on WVO before I swapped it for a GQ patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by edelbrock1 View Post
    Hi guys, just want to pick your brains. What is the best Landcruiser engine for converting to WVO. I would like to buy the latest one that I can, but I am not exactly sure when the engines changed.

Would a 1990 to 1994 model be OK?? Or do I need to go earlier than this??

I know the utes have a different engines to the wagons. But I am after a wagon. So which would you recommend??

Thanks.
    A 1990 to 1994 model would be OK.
    If you want to go as late as possible, the 1HZ was used in the non-turbo 100 series so about 2003 I guess, not sure when they stopped making non-turbos.

I too am interested in a vehicle roughly like we're talking about here, and was wondering whether there were any turbos that people would recommend, or if they should be avoided at all costs.

It's just that I've driven non-turbo diesels before and, well, they're a little underwhelming to say the least.

Am trying to decide between a cruiser, Surf, or Prado. I don't think there's any Prados on the list of what people have converted - is there a reason for this?
    Moved from bio to Electrons - Nissan Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by reverb View Post
    I too am interested in a vehicle roughly like we're talking about here, and was wondering whether there were any turbos that people would recommend, or if they should be avoided at all costs.

It's just that I've driven non-turbo diesels before and, well, they're a little underwhelming to say the least.

Am trying to decide between a cruiser, Surf, or Prado. I don't think there's any Prados on the list of what people have converted - is there a reason for this?
    Go for the cruiser.
    I found the 1HZ adequate and they do respond well to aftermarket turbo.
    Landcruiser factory turbos are DI and thus not as suited to veg although Tim, Brian and Chris are doing well with theirs.