Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advise needed on BD quality

advise needed on BD quality

I have been making BD for about a year and the troopy has done about 30000kms on BD. Have been having problems when I get on the freeway, after driving about 500kms, when I get blockage in the filter with light coloured flake crap. There is no water in the water seperator and I cant imagine that the crap would be residual catalyst, as it is washed four times as follows....
    I wash the BD four times over two/ three days, and when the BD is crystal clear and the wash water is nearly clear and the same pH as out of the tap, I pump it to a tank to settle for about a week before I use it.

There seems to be a link between the blockages and the 4-5 hours continous drive at 110km/hr, because it has never happened with general about town drive.

ANY ANSWERS??

Re: advise needed on BD quality

I doubt that your bio is "crystal clear" after washing it with water. However you say you decant the fuel and let it settle in a drum for a week or so. Is this with the lid off and out in the sun and wind? Or is it settling in closed containers? If so, then the residual water will still be in the fuel, or at least in the bottom of the container. If it is settled inside a shed etc., then you need a heat source and a wind source passing over the open drums to allow drying. Water in fuel will cause a breakdown of bio and resultant clogging of filters with rusty looking stuff.

Thanks Yorta,
    I will try the aerator and fan in my storage tank. However, I just drained., 1 litre from tank of 800 litres BD and left it all day in a clear container and it clear as a bell, with no sediment or water in the bottom at all. So there is no water in the 800 litres and I have drained my fuel tanks and there is no water in there at all and none in the water separator.
    I reckon there is a link with, the temperature after driving 500km at 110km/hr, and the white clugg clogging the filter????

Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock View Post
    white clugg clogging the filter????
    Sounds to me like high melting point bio.
    What is your feed stock?
    Does this white crud melt away to bio with a little heat application?

As for being residual catylist, no way as it would all come out in the first and or second washes.

Yes, it does now appear to me to be as Qwarla says - high melting point bio. I wasn't at first sure of what you meant by "ight coloured flake crap", but now see that it isn't rusty looking stuff, but (as you say) "white clugg".

While I would normally agree with this diagnosis, the fact that it only is evident during long runs would tend to indicate that HMP (High Melting Point) biodiesel is not the source of this blockage.
    There seems to be a link between the blockages and the 4-5 hours continuous drive at 110km/hr, because it has never happened with general about town drive.
    After a 1 hour run, the temperature of the fuel in the tank of a normal, return line fuel system, would have increased significantly .
    Can you provide more information on the oil used to make the biodiesel? Is there a significant amount of solidified oil in it when cold?
    Please chill a sample of your biodiesel in the fridge and advise us if there is white stuff in your sample when the biodiesel is cold.

Please let us know about your "long trips" - were they taken during cooler weather or at a cool time of day? Cooler weather and HMP biodiesel may cause this issue.

The answers to these questions may assist in correctly diagnosing this problem.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

David,
    Were you able to determine what the flakes were?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I have done the experiments:
    1. Sealed BD in fridge for 6hrs. When removed, BD temp is 5 degreesC, and has significant amount of white flakes, about 3mm diameter.

2. Heated the BD and white flakes dissappeared. Crystal clear again.

Note: the white flakes in filter after long run are probably 10 times as big, as the 3mm flakes in fridge sample.

Thanks all,
    Gerry.

Its prob the dodgy oil supply some bloke handed over to you....
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Question Re: advise needed on BD quality

Haha Nick,
    your just jealous your not living in sydney anymore. Wish I could get out of here!
    No, I think my oil is ok. it is mostly pretty clear and no solids. Still no idea what the solution is here......

Cheers,
    Gerry.