Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advise needed on BD quality

Re: advise needed on BD quality

Gerry,
    Can you collect samples of your filter blocking "white flakes" and perform sopme tests on it?
    I would like to see whether it melts when heated & at what temperature this happens.
    I would also like to see if it burns when placed on a piece of paper and the paper is ignited. If it burns, does it splatter, does flame change colour?

Perhaps we can identify the substance.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Gday Tony,
    I have tested the white substance.
    I placed some on tissue paper and lit the paper. The flame burned around the substance and the substance melted, with no splatter. Eventually the lot burned. The substance appears to behave like a wax.
    I put some on the stove and it melted at around 40 deg. C. And when cooled, the substance did not re- solidify. So, the heat did change it's chemistry.

I have added 'fuel doctor' to 200 litres of my BD, and there has not been any blockage on two long runs,(2x 600km). The 'fuel doctor',(fueldoctors.com.au), label says, "formulated to dissolve, disperse and prevent the accumulation of gum, wax, varnish, condensation and fuel bugs....".
    Even though there has been no blockage, when I removed the filter, it was caked with the wax, on the top and bottom of the filter, and had not clogged the filter paper, like before I had used 'fuel doctor'.

If we cant solve this problem I might contact fuel doctor and try to work out where this 'wax' comes from. In the mean time I will continue using the fuel doctor. I wonder what the 'fuel doctor' actually is??? I came across it at a truck supplies in Sydney. Others such as repco havent heard of it.

Thanks again, for your help.

Happy new year all. Its been a bloody year and still have the blocked filters.
    OK, so its WAX.
    Does anyone recommend a heater before the filter to dissolve the wax???

Hi Jedrock,

Just a quick question, when you checked your BD for flake formation in the fridge etc, did you use BD from your vehicle tank or from your storage containers?

The reason I ask is that one of them may have a contaminant in them.

Is it worth making a new batch of fuel and storing it in a completly different drum/s? to elimante all variables though you would need to flush your fuel system prior to using the newly stored fuel.

probably a massive stuff around, but I thought it worth comment.

Jedrock hi

hows your fuel problem ? I used to have a similar problem in a metal storage tank after a cold snap. I use oil with alot of animal fats in it (chicken i think) what would happen was i would get white gung sticking to the metal container and with clear bio in the middle. From how you decribe is sound almost the same. This possibly it happening in your fuel tank and after a long trip the fuel gets hot enough to melt and then goes into your filter and when it cools turns into white gung again. I got around this problem by fitting a light bulb in the water trap as a heater and changing the way i process my bio. I now use a 2 stage process and never have a problem with fats in the oil.

Gday all,
    Firstly Captaincademan, I got sample from storage container, which are the 1000 litre pallet tanks. I wash out the tank with every so often with new BD, when empty.
    Secondly, Smithw, I am sure I have wax problem, and am not sure if it same as yours. The wax build up happens same in summer and winter. The only variation I have had, is when I add 50mls of 'fuel doctor', it slows wax build up down, but still the filters end up blocked. Also, when I add 'fuel doctor', the wax seems to collect more at the metal top of the cartridge filter instead of around the paper filter. So it looks like the 'fuel doctor' does, (as promised), dissolve fuel wax, but not enough to go through filter. I have also added 100mls per 75 litre tank with similar results.
    So, I think I need some heat or I might try another product called, 'star tron' which also promises to get BD through filters.

CHEEERS

jed

long time no hear...
    I strongly recommend a helton fuel heater i've been using one for ages and never have to worry about filter clogs since.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle) NSW

Quote Originally Posted by RODEONICK View Post
    jed

long time no hear...
    I strongly recommend a helton fuel heater i've been using one for ages and never have to worry about filter clogs since.
    I was just going to say the same as Nick. A heat exchanger should melt your wax.

Gday all,
    I have had a helton heat exchanger fitted for about a year. Has reduced the wax build up, however, to completely solve the problem, I think another heat source needs to be in the filter itself.