Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methanol supplies

Re: Methanol supplies

Hey Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this forum,!!

A few years on and I'm in the same boat as the original poster? I'm looking to make my first test batch for my first Diesel ever Ford Ranger.

I am in need of Methanol and Potassium Hydroxide. For some crazy reason No one in Australia puts Ingredients on their products. Someone told me Caustic Salt = Potassium Hydroxide(I bought some form Bunnings - https://www.bunnings.com.au/glitz-50...-soda_p4470481), but I'm worried... :0

Can anyone please direct me where I can buy Potassium Hydroxide and maybe 20-25liters of Methanol?

I will contact the suppers above but I just wanted to pre-emptively ask this since those responses are a few years old... lol

Cheers
    Tonto...and the Loan Ranger

What you have there from Bunnings is Sodium Hydroxide. NaOH. Potassium Hydroxide is KOH. It will do the job, but remember the quantities need to be varied. If you want KOH look for chemical suppliers in the yellow pages.
    To find Methanol search the yellow pages for 'Fuel merchants', then do a ring around.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwarla View Post
    What you have there from Bunnings is Sodium Hydroxide. NaOH. Potassium Hydroxide is KOH. It will do the job, but remember the quantities need to be varied. If you want KOH look for chemical suppliers in the yellow pages.
    To find Methanol search the yellow pages for 'Fuel merchants', then do a ring around.

Thanks so much for Clarifying. I am new to this . Yes, I checked yesterday after my reply realised it's Caustic Soda.

If anyone is looking for Methanol in small quantities from 1 liter up to 5 liter, I found some at Hobbytech Toys - https://hobbytechtoys.com.au/collections/methanol. They will post it out to your location.

I am so exited to make my first batch. Probably just going for a 10-20 liters to test.!!!

Thanks again for clarifying. I'll be doing the Dr Pepper way