Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glycerine Spray Cart

Re: Glycerine Spray Cart

Gday Nick,Phosphoric acid is about $2.50 a litre.Geewizztoo got it for me,so contact him for the name of the company he purchased from. regards Westwinds

Re: Glycerihine Spray Cart

Hi
    I have also tried this after reading what you are doing. I am using the same tank as Westwinds but gravity feeding it into a 40mm poly pipe acrooss the back of my box trailer.
    The poly pipe has 8mm holes in it about 100mm apart and is 2.5m long.
    I am mixing the glycerine (with methanol)at 10% with water and spreading 1000 litres of mix on approx. 1ha.
    This has not burnt the grass except for where I started and had to turn the tap on and then get in the car and start driving(only a slight yellowing).
    Can not see any pos. or neg. benefits but at least I can easily get rid of my glycerine. Also teaching the kids to drive.
    Will get a photo next time I have it setup. Thanks for the good idea.
    regards
    bj4408

Quote Originally Posted by Westwinds View Post
    Gday,I see by the posts that you are wondering if i demeth the glycerine.According to my learned friend Geewizztoo the time,energy required and equipment required that the methanol you get is hardly worth it.By adding phosphoric acid i end up with potassium phosphate which is a fertilizer and i believe the balance of the glycerine is consumed by the micro-organisms in the soil. The water that was sprayed was used as a medium to spread the glycerine and evaporated within half an hour.Where i sprayed last week i cannot see any glycerine on the ground other than my wheel tracks. Regards Westwinds
    Giday Westwinds,
    I have been following your thread with interest as I to am on the land.
    How did your trial go did you see an improvement in grass growth and vigour ?
    I have 2000lts of Glycerine to dispose of and have been looking for spray rates and mix ratios to trial.
    I know the agg dept in wa have trialed it by spraying it into seed furrows with the seed at seeding time to inprove germination rates and yield with some sucess.

Another thought for Glycerine is as a fire retardent for grass fires. (foam ) but im thinking getting the mix to foam would require an air injection system pre-nozel and it all seems to hard.
    Not even sure if foam would work on grass fires anyhow.

Im going to build a no dig veggie garden out of an 1000ltr Ibc using straw, manure and glycerine to aid in the composting process and see how it effects veggie growth.

Cheers
    Sandman.

I am on 120ac and have been waiting for results on how this works

thanks for the info so far

gunna do it just to get rid of 1000lt of BDG

will talk to my chemical bloke tomorrow re the acid

cheers Murf

Gday,Thanks guys for your interest in spraying out glycerine.There has been no results as there has been no rain and it is getting a bit depressing seeing what dry feed you have disappearing at a fast rate.I am starting tomorrow hand feeding barley to the sheep.regards westwinds

Quote Originally Posted by Westwinds View Post
    Gday,Thanks guys for your interest in spraying out glycerine.There has been no results as there has been no rain and it is getting a bit depressing seeing what dry feed you have disappearing at a fast rate.I am starting tomorrow hand feeding barley to the sheep.regards westwinds
    I am hearing you, here at Coffs Harbour we have had flood drought flood drought , we have a huge yearly rainfall this year but not really usable, just mowed the personal orchard for the first time since early May that is unheard of around here

have you thought/researched of adding BDG or WVO to your stock feed? one of the guys here pours WVO onto sugar cane tops for his cows

cheers Murf

Hi Westwinds,
    I tried pouring neat Glycerine on some hay last year and trialed it in our sheep feed lot. They ignorded it completely in favor for the oats that was in the feeders. It was probably to strong.
    It might be an idea to trial a 20% ratio in water and pour on some hay or dry grass to see if they go for it. I understand from some research going on in the US that the glycerine helps in recovering nutrients by aiding the bacteria that lives in the rumen of bovine animals. Aparently there is a higher uptake of protiens and less is passed through the animal.
    (Dry feed is harder to digest and therefore a lot of protien is passed through and not absorbed properly.)
    There should be something on the US agg dept web sites if you are interested.
    Cheers
    Sandman.

Does anyone know what you end up with if you use boric acid to neutralise the KOH in the glycerine? That's what's used at the nicad battery shop at my work to neutralise the KOH electrolyte, but I'm no chemist, so have no idea what the end product would be...

Thanks,

Justin

Potassium Borate salt?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi
    I have put my fourth lot of glycerine and water(1:10) out today over six months. There is no sign of any good or bad effects at this stage. I am happy to keep doing it as it is an easy way of utilising the glycerine.
    I have left a contol area untreated to see any long term changes.
    Here is a couple of photos of my simple setup.
    regards
    bj4408