Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omar Valve Failure

Omar Valve Failure

Hello to all,

Well it seems that I do have a faulty Omar valve, it intermittently switches, which is better that the other way. It has been sitting in the car for about 2 months with diesel running through it, but no oil since I didn't have the tank ready. It worked for about a day and then failed.

I have contacted Omar to see if he will replace it, but as yet he has not replied, hopefully he is just on holidays.

I'm hopeful that this is just a one off failure, and not indicative of Omar valves.

Regards
    Muzza

Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle) NSW

Re: Omar Valve Failure

Quote Originally Posted by mdraicch View Post
    Well, after many setbacks its finally done and it works. I don't think that I have ever had so much trouble with anything as this conversion, the final hurdle was when one of the Omar valves didn't switch, I initially thought it was due to a stuffed valve but found it to be a loose connection.
    Hello to all,

Well it seems that I do have a faulty Omar valve, it intermittently switches, which is better that the other way. It has been sitting in the car for about 2 months with diesel running through it, but no oil since I didn't have the tank ready. It worked for about a day and then failed.

I have contacted Omar to see if he will replace it, but as yet he has not replied, hopefully he is just on holidays.

I'm hopeful that this is just a one off failure, and not indicative of Omar valves.

Regards
    Muzza
    So is it a faulty valve or a loose connection??

Hello to all,

Regards
    Muzza
    Any help from Mr. Omar yet ? I ordered one of his valves a week or two ago just haven't gotten it yet. Maybe they are on back order?
    Also is anyone else using the Omar valves and how are you getting along with them? '
    Larry

I have had two of these solenoid valves installed for the last 6 months or so and have not had any trouble. In saying that however, I have probably only done 500km. But it's all been trouble free. Occassionally I notice the little LED lights in my cabin switches turn off for a couple of minutes at a time, but I have no way of knowing if the fuel has defaulted back to diesel in this time. Perhaps that would be something to check next time it happens.

Thus far, I am happy with my Omar valves

Hi all,

Yes Omar has just emailed me and has asked me to double check a few things, which I will do on the weekend. If I find that he valve is still sticking then he will replace it. I'm going to try and pin point the problem, I'm sure the power is OK because I tested this and the multi said 12v when I switched. I then connected the valve directly to the battery and it did not switch.
    This is what Omar said:
    "Sounds like you are not getting a good electrical connection to the 12v coil. You have to make sure the middle screw in tight and the plastic cap gasket is seated properly. Look at the photo's I sent you on how the electrical connections work. Just because the red light comes on does not mean you have a good electrical connection to the 12v coil.
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_CIMG0115.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_CIMG0122.jpg

Make sure the plastic cap gasket is not holding the electrical connection up from the coil spade connectors (see photo)

Test the electrical current to the valve coil make sure it is 12v. If you do not have 12v. consistently the coil will not work properly. Are you using a 30 amp relay to power your valves?

Also make sure the nut on the valve stem is tight if it is loose the valve will not switch properly.

you may want to use some blue lock tight on the nut on the valve stem and the middle screw on the plastic cap. to keep the nut and screw tight.

do you have the right ports hooked up?
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...fuelinport.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ueldiagram.jpg

check all this and if the valve still not working for you send them back to me and I will replace them
    "
    I believe that the valve is sticking and the coil is OK, there maybe something that I did wrong in the installation, Omar's comments got me thinking. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Regards
    Muzza

Hi to all,

I couldn't wait till the weekend and decided to test the valve again and I could not get it to switch. I will send it back to Omar for a replacement and maybe he can see a reason for it not switching. The coil does have resistance so I still suspect the valve.

If Omar can determine why it faulted I will let you all know.

Regards
    Muzza

Lake Macquarie (just south of Newcastle) NSW

These are supposed to be more reliable than Pollak.
    Now we start to hear of possible failure.
    Are we supposed to use a 30 amp relay to power these?
    Pollak doesn't need a relay at all.
    More expense!
    I am thinking I might regret buying Omar valves. Bought 3 but haven't fitted any yet.
    Maybe I should stick to the pollak.
    I have a manual ball valve on the GU and it needs to be reliable as I would run out of fuel in no time if it was on diesel when I thought it was on WVO as the return goes to the WVO tank full time and the diesel tank is only 30 litres.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuddy View Post
    These are supposed to be more reliable than Pollak.
    Now we start to hear of possible failure.
    Are we supposed to use a 30 amp relay to power these?
    Pollak doesn't need a relay at all.
    More expense!
    I am thinking I might regret buying Omar valves. Bought 3 but haven't fitted any yet.
    Maybe I should stick to the pollak.
    I have a manual ball valve on the GU and it needs to be reliable as I would run out of fuel in no time if it was on diesel when I thought it was on WVO as the return goes to the WVO tank full time and the diesel tank is only 30 litres.
    Hi Nuddy,

Its still too early to come to a final conclusion about these valves, it could be that some rubbish found its way into the valve, say, from installing the hose barbs, I am hoping that Omar can tell me. I would have looked myself but I was concerned that I might damage the valve and blow my guarantee.

I have removed the black electrical connectors and the LED because they are flimsy and I did not want any weak electrical connections, I connected directly to the terminal ( which is somewhat soft). The LED only tells you if the power to the valve is active, this does not mean that the valve has switched.

I'm not a fan of pollak valves but the motor driven valve is a great idea, it switches and turns itself off, no more power drain, or possibility of losing power.

As for the 30 amp relay, this is the first I have heard of it.

Regards
    Muzza

The Omar valves are much better for this tye of application. Pollock valves will stick after time. I'm sure he will find something simple to be the problem and if not Mr. Omar said he'd take care of it.
    What's wrong with that?

Hi again to all,

Just thought I'd update you on the valve situation. I went to the post office to mail the valve back to Omar, now I live in ECHUCA and the valve has to go back to America. It will cost me $30 standard air mail or $55 express, but the valve only costs $49 and if it really has failed and I didn't do it I just paid $30 for a new valve.

I told Omar this and offered to go 50/50 in a new valve and he replied with "send it flat rate envelope" I have no idea what this is, so I'll talk to the post office whenever I can, I'll be going away to Mildura for work next week so I'm not sure when I can do it, I might be able to do something from Mildura.

This makes me think about keeping spares, it really doesn't matter what part is being used, if the part was purchased from over seas the turn around with getting a replacement, by the time you sort out the crap with the vendor, will be a few weeks and somehow I have never been content with paying money to claim on a guarantee.

I'm also seriously considering cutting my losses and finding something in Australia and even better, in Victoria.

Regards
    Mario