Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omar Valve Failure

Re: Omar Valve Failure

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    I am gonna use a 20 amp relay with mine.
    Larry why would you do that? Would you use a relay to feed power to an interior light or a radio? A solenoid has a coil of very fine copper wire in it and creates a magnetic field in an iron core. Likewise a relay has a coil of fine copper wire in it and creates a magnetic field in an iron core. Both are minimal power users.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Larry why would you do that? Would you use a relay to feed power to an interior light or a radio? A solenoid has a coil of very fine copper wire in it and creates a magnetic field in an iron core. Likewise a relay has a coil of fine copper wire in it and creates a magnetic field in an iron core. Both are minimal power users.
    I tought Mr Omar was saying you need to use a relay.
    Ok, I guess I won't if you don't need it
    I guess that's what I get for tinking without aking.

Long term testing of these solenoid valves has shown that they suffer from overheating of the coil, leaving them fail in the de-energised state.
    To overcome this, I have used a 21W indicator lamp soldered in series with the power to the solenoid coil.
    This reduces the current thru the solenoid coil but still has adequate power to operate normally.
    This works well and the solenoid only gets slightly warm by comparison with previously where it would not be possible to hold the coil of the valve after 10 minutes or operation.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts