Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Facts and Tips for Newbies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Sunshine Coast, QLD

    Lightbulb Facts and Tips for Newbies

    Facts and Tips

    NaOH/KOH and Methanol are EXTREMELY dangerous. They WILL cause burns, blindness and can cause death. They WILL enter your body through your nose, mouth and skin.

    Work with goggles, gloves, good ventilation and running water.

    NaOH/KOH and Methanol are water soluble and as such will absorb water from the atmosphere and can affect you conversion.

    Work quickly but safely with your ingredients. Close lids after use and work with as small as quantity as is needed so there is no wastage. NaOH/KOH generally are clear flakes or pellets. If they become clumped, or frosted looking they may have absorbed water.

    The reactions that take place between NaOH/KOH, Methanol and oil are chemical in nature. They require very accurate quantities to work properly.

    The extra care involved in measuring weights and liquids will be well worth the effort, particularly with Titration. Any errors in calculation will become exponentially worse.

    *** This thread is for information only. Please post any questions or discussions in a new thread.***
    Last edited by Robert; 20th November 2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Closed thread and made Sticky


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts