Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 96 TF Rodeo,any first hand experiance?

96 TF Rodeo,any first hand experiance?

Hi everyone,
    tried searching this forum but couldn't find any specific info to the 96 Rodeo 2.8 Turbo.
    I have a dual cab with 300000kms on the clock but engine is not the original one,history unknown but runs very well and blows virtually no smoke exept for hard accelaration.
    Did find a couple of rodeo owners of later models ,ie2000 plus but not the 96 who have had a few problems.
    After asking a couple of mechanic mates about Bio,they both warned me that I would have nothing but trouble from seals in injector pumps going to burnt injector nozzles from too clean a burn on Bio.I relise about the filter blockages first up but what else and how long would I expect it to happen?
    So what I'm asking is has anyone had first hand experiance on the 96 Rodeo on 100% bio?
    If so what sort of seals are in the injector pump if any one knows?
    How long before seals,plunger diaphfam and injectors start stuffing up if at all?
    I would really like to get started as I have a good supplier of tallow and I am trying to jag another shop for their Rice Oil.
    I have made some bio out of tallow sucessfully (10L) and have got all the pieces for production.But with the negative advice I've been given I am looking for some positive.
    Can any one help?

Cheers
    Pete

Re: 96 TF Rodeo,any first hand experiance?

Hi Pete,

I own a 97 2.8L rodeo, and have run biodiesel (100%) in it for over three years or so.

It is interesting you post because at present I have just removed the injector pump to have a leaking seal replaced!

However, this is not related to bio in anyway. My injector pump is the original and the seal has just gone after 320000 kms. The pump is fine, but I am told that with these pumps, the seals become hard and brittle after 250000km, so it must be expected.

So - depending on whether u have a original injector pump or have had it replaced will help. Either way, in my experience the rodeo has run better on veg oil derived biodiesel as it can struggle a bit on cold starts hence fatty bio wont help that. I have tended to avoid animal fats all together, only because of the difficult in starting in cold. U might not have that problem where you are because of the higher temps.

Anyway - beside the seal issue, the rodeo has run beautifully with no other issues. just chuck a second fuel filter in to help and u will experience no problems. the only reason u will get filter blockages will probably because your glycerine content is too high. read through the posts on how to reduce this

FB

Hey FarmBoy,
    It,s a relief hearing from your experiances.My rodeo had another motor put in about a year ago (before I owned it) and the injector pump isn't the original but don't know what type of seals are on it.
    Have you had any issues with injectors burning up near the tips?
    This is what a couple of mates told me that could happen along with other issues.
    Do you mean a cheap petrol inline filter before the water seporator or another diesel filter similar to the original?
    Is yours 97 a turbo?
    I have tried a couple of test batches with tallow and the bio comes out an amber/red colour (Titration of 7ml -8ml and washed 3 times in water) but after about a week there is a thin layer of white stuff in my bottles.I've checked to see how it goes in the cold in the shed and seems to have the same viscosity at about 8-10C as 20C -30C but should put some in the fridge to find out for sure.Tallow is what everyone up here seems to use,cheap suppose.It's not too bad as I have used a turk burner to heat 20L on sump oil.
    Thanks for your responese FB.How much stuffing around was getting the injector pump out?

Cheers
    Pete

farm boy did you have a go at replacing the seals yourself? I replaced the front seal an o rings on a nissan ld 20 and didn't even have to take the pump off the engine. I took the parts to a bearing supplier and they got me a new seal and o rings for $ 15.

good point SmithW,
    Is it just the front shaft seal that seems to have the catastrophic failures from bio or are there other seals in the pump that are eaten by bio aswell and cause damage to engine by leakage????

ocsum, if you have no knowledge of the history of the engine it would be wise to immediatly replace the camshaft belt if it has one.

Thanks Tilly,that was the first question i asked a close mate about before I bought the rodeo.It has angle cut timing gears.Cam is in the block not over head.

Cheers
    Pete

On most jap pumps there is 2 o rings one on each side of the pump near the bottom. there is a plate with 2 bolts and the o ring is under that. on the other side of the pump there will be a similar plate or it may have an adjustment screw or a device that pushes a pin in the center of the plate the orings are both the same size and they go hard and crack or can melt depending on age or what they are made from.
    have a look here at pics 39-43 and 99-100
    Bosch diesel injection pump rebuild
    Last edited by smithw; 3rd May 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: mental illness

So in crude summary if internals of pump are ok and within tolerances it comes down to two o rings and a shaft seal?
    If thats the case It might be worth my while to source a spare injector pump and rebuild it myself.Bit of russian roulette in finding a good one though!
    Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    On most jap pumps there is 2 o rings one on each side of the pump near the bottom. there is a plate with 2 bolts and the o ring is under that. on the other side of the pump there will be a similar plate or it may have an adjustment screw or a device that pushes a pin in the center of the plate the orings are both the same size and they go hard and crack or can melt depending on age or what they are made from.
    have a look here at pics 39-43 and 99-100
    Bosch diesel injection pump rebuild
    That link has been around for a while but is excellent now that someone has numbered the pages.

The O rings mentioned above are best left alone unless they are leaking. (pages 39 and 41) You need to take the IP off to get at the one on the back anyway.
    The most common one to go is the shaft seal (pg 99)
    The regulating valve seals can be replaced easily and should be the first to be checked if performance goes (pg 95)
    When the pump is on the bench, there is the fuel shutoff (pg97) throttle shaft (pg 93) distributor head O ring (58, 59)
    Finally the governor adjusting screw O ring (pg 80) and the top cover seal which is definitely a factory item.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far