Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 96 TF Rodeo,any first hand experiance?

Re: 96 TF Rodeo,any first hand experiance?

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I have fully charged my battery which was way down, and tightened some connections. This has seemed to help considerably and I am getting good ignition - but it is the warmest part of the day at present........

I will next get on to eliminating the fuel. I did a cloud test and although my stored bio passes the test on the surface, the bottom stored fuel which I had used in the tank does not and this combined with the low battery has probably not helped.

It is possible the starter motor is dying, but I will eliminate the other variables first.

With regards to the Facet pump tony, this is still installed but this was to eliminate a leaking injector seal, which I had redone, so this (air leak) is no longer an issue.

I think if the issue remains as a cold bio problem i may look at a heat exhanger, but I will definitely improve my bio standard as well.

Will let you know

FB
    The heat exchanger will be of no help in starting the engine from cold. Try diesel as suggested. Keeping the vehicle under cover and off grass will help.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far

Hi Guys

My cold start problem has been linked to a dying starter motor. In cold weather, it apparently works much worse and this was when I was experiencing problems - like frequent free spinning from the start motor.

The quality of my bio may have complicated the issue, but the main problem is the starter motor.

So - anyone suggest a good cheap place for a recond to my starter motor,in WA or anything else?

THe start motor is the original and had done 320000km so I think it has had a good life.

Cheers

FB

It is "pot luck" with any service people these days, unless you have a personal recommendation.
    You could check the price of one from the wreckers too. It will probably be a lot cheaper. You can then have the original one rebuilt at your leisure, if you want a rebuilt one.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

there is a starter on ebay
    HOLDEN RODEO TF 2.8 TURBO DIESEL STARTER MOTOR - eBay Other, Ignition Systems, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Jul-10 10:20:43 AEST)

looks like lots of $$$

also looks very similar to a toyota starter motor which are easy to rebuild. The last one i did cost less than $100 for the bearings, brushes, and the solenoid rebulid kit

the plunger and contacts often give problems
    starter repair kit rebuild 94 95 96 97 Isuzu Rodeo 2.6L: eBay Motors (item 370164401273 end time Jun-18-10 14:00:16 PDT)

A good auto elec will have the parts in stock.

Slow starter motor problems are frequently caused by a worn front bush allows the armature to rub against the pole shoes of the field windings. This is commonly called "poling",
    Check for shiny spots on the armature and pole shoes.
    Replacing the front bush and brushes in your starter motor might solve the problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I ended up picking up a second hand starter motor from a wrecker for 100 bucks. It is an original 1997 2.8 turbo starter motor, Fingers crossed it is in better shape - has a 3 month warranty. Not sure of the km's it had done. WIll be putting in over the weekend.

In the meantime I will work on recond. the other starter motor. I am guessing i can get the parts from somewhere like coventrys or an auto electrician.
    It will be a relief to get back to instant ignition again!

CHeers
    FB

Hi every one its been a while,
    I still haven't been able to run Bio in my ute yet as my oil supplier stopped giving me oil all of the sudden (her main collector got the shits at her letting me take 20l a fortnight).
    Anyway I have a air leak problem since the cold weather has hit.I isolated the fuel filter and water trap and pressurised it (10 psi) and found an air leak in the primer pump shaft(sorry to remention this bit),so replaced with a CAV filter/water trap/primer pump assembly ($130 with proper fittings from Pirtek)
    Still had the air leak,tried removing fuel cap overnight,didn't work.
    I then tried pressurising ( 4 psi )the inlet of IP and plugged off fuel return line and sat overnight,it took about 3 hours for the pressure to drop to 0.

Question #1 Is pressurising the IP a good indicator of a leaking shaft seal or could air be leaking from else where ie high pressure side/injectors?
    I don't have an actual fuel leak any where I can put my finger on just air leak under vacuum over night,even the oil has no diesel in it.

Question #2 is those of you with any experiance with these plunger type pumps is it normal for them to leak fuel around the shaft?
    Mine pisses out than you screw the cap on and it seals on an o ring without air leak.

I'm running out of ideas and since no fuel is acutally leaking I'm about to resort to fitting on an electric fuel pump.

Cheers
    Pete

Answer #1.
    Inline injector pumps are generally lubricated by engine oil, not diesel fuel (as opposed to rotary IPs). As such, any leak from the shaft is engine oil not fuel.The fuel should not leak anywhere from an inline pump. The most common leakage area is from the pumping element O Rings and this is an easy fix, and is due to the old O Rings getting hard and not sealing anymore.

Answer #2.
    If you have fuel leaking from the primer pump then that is the cause of your air leak.
    Get a replacement black plunger type primer (does not need to be screwed in/out) and your problem will disappear.

Regards.
    Tony.
    Anywhere fuel leaks out, it can suck air in.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

I'm a bit confused Tony with your reply.
    Just to clarify I have a Zexel Bosch Injector pump on a 96 turbo diesel Rodeo.These IP's have no oil inlet/outlet pipes and I'm pretty sure are Diesel lubricated.This is what I am refering to for Qustion #1.
    As for an easy fix maybe but getting this IP of the ute to do the job is a real pain in the arse.

As for Answer #2 I did replace the original primer pump (diaphram type)with a brand new cav filter and since I parted with $130 for this (as opposed to Holden genuine which is $450) I thought being a universal Truck/tractor type filter setup it should work good.
    I did pressure test this new cav filter and it does seal with no leaks over night.It's just while pumping the primer I'd thought diesel shouldn't piss out the shaft as well????

Cheers
    Pete

I may have misunderstood that your IP was in inline one. I am not familiar with the different IP models. Is it a rotary one (pipes from the end) or inline one (pipes from the top)?

Is the fuel coming out of the IP drive shaft??
    If so, you will need to fit the IP with new seals.

Regards,
    Tony

Previous Vehicles: