Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: immersion heating elements

immersion heating elements

need some help re: immersion heater density.

its common knowledge that oil requires a low density heating element otherwise the oil will burn and the element will burn out.

my question is:
    what density (Kw/m2) should the element be for optimal use? (and would this change if the power outlet was wired by a sparky to be 15-20amp output, instead of 10amp standard).

having a bit of trouble finding reliable information.

cheers
    BB Ronnie

Re: immersion heating elements

Ronnie,
    you could get a 3KW 3 phase element (440V) phase - phase voltage, and operate it on 240V (phase - neutral) to reduce the power density of the heating element. The element would deliver something like 1KW at the lower voltage.

Using a 15 A or 20 A outlet only impacts on the maximum power you can draw from the power point, not the power density of the element.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

A figure I heard a long time ago was 10 watts per square cm. I use an old fashioned hot water cylinder element - the 1500 or 2000 watt ceramic and nichrome wire ones that fit in a cylinder about 40 mm in diameter that they used in the old low pressure systems. If and when they burn out you can just slide a new one into the tube.

Has anyone used ordinary immersion heaters in vege? You can buy them as coffee cup heaters in some camping shops. Can also get bigger ones, some on EBay.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far

Ive have used and old fashioned jug element on a stick for 5 years and it never burnt out, good for about 100 l batches. I found a bigger version at the dump (also on a stick) and currently use that, I think it might of been off a deep fryer. I also used an element of a front loader washing machine, but it blew after very little use.

i've heard that standard water elements can be used if the oil is pumped or agitated while it is heating to avoid element burnout.

Has anyone else heard this?

I have used a standard water heating element fitted into a vertical steel tube directly above my circulation pump for years without problem. Have a look here for suitable elements :- HOT WATER ELEMENT 1800W 320mm KZ25M000 (eBay item 390122536487 end time 19-Nov-10 10:22:37 AEDST) : Home Appliances
    You can see it in my avatar between the two insulated tanks on the right; it's fitted into a 1" Tee on the top of about 400mm. of insulated pipe.
    Last edited by 250downunder; 14th November 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Gday.This post is to BB ronnie.Grimwood Heating at Villawood NSW told me ordinary hot water elements are OK provided you keep the oil agitated.I am speaking from experience as i burnt out a element because i did'nt keep the oil agitated. regards westwinds

Why do we post - I sometimes wonder. You are using ordinary heating elements from high pressure water cylinders because you think its easy. Well the old fashioned ceramic and nichrome ones are in fact a lot easier. They supply heat at pretty close to the 10 watts/square centimetre I mentioned and the tube they slide into (I use stainless steel ) can go right through your processing or whatever tank and be welded at both ends. No agitation required, a bit of insulation in one end, your connecting box on the other and when they burn out (spiders are the big problem, a smallish one taking up residence around the element can make a nice carbon track when you turn it on and that's all she wrote) you just slide it out, put in a new one and continue your process. No seals, no draining your tank. Just be sure your wiring is properly grounded.

Why do we post?

Because our preferences are just one option in the variety available.
    Where we have a wide choice, it could lead to confusion, but may lead to the best option for a reader's circumstances.
    Without a choice, we have less chance of meeting our particular needs.

Keep posting, the more relevant information, the more informed choice becomes.

Best wishes,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts