Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need WVO oil to pick up: Melbourne to Sunshine coast/Whitsundays

need WVO oil to pick up: Melbourne to Sunshine coast/Whitsundays

Merry Christmas everyone!

We were planning to drive up to the Whitsundays from Melbourne, but now considering going up to Sunshine Coast only depending on the flood situation in between.

I would love to hear from anyone being able to spare some filtered oil as I will not be taking any filtering equipment with myself on the way. Happy to pay for a good service :-)

Ideally, I would need someone in Sydney and Brisbane where I could stop both ways. I can take about 140l each way, which should last me to the next stop. If we make it to Whitsundays then, it would be nice to be able to source some oil in that area as well.

Planning to leave in the first few days of Jan and will come back around 3 weeks later to Melbourne.

Please drop me a PM if you can source some oil.

Thanks for everyone who answers!
    Regards,
    Surfie

Re: need WVO oil to pick up: Melbourne to Sunshine coast/Whitsundays

Which way are you heading through Victoria? Up the Hume, or around the coast?

Heading up the Hume as we want to get to Sydney quickly and will be taking it easy from there...

We have gone the coastal way last time.

Also, will be coming back on the Hume, if you can still help out.

Thanks.

Thanks for everyone who offered fuel!!

However, I still need some around Brisbane or further up. Any Queenslanders out there - or is everyone at the beach at this time or saving it for their boat :-) ? Seriously, I had someone ask me if they could convert their boat - the benefit is that you can also fry the fishes in it too, try that with diesel ;-).

Thanks,
    Surfie

Have you checked out This stickied thread? there may be someone who is no longer active on this forum who may be able to help. PM them and they should get an email (if their settings are the default ones) advising them of your PM.

Best wishes,

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks, Tony, I did just that. Hopefully I will get some responses.

I have also found the Google Map for it, it looks fantastic! Let's just hope it works.

Also, found the Cape York thread, Johnnojack is a great inspiration. The problem I have is that wife will throw me out if I start filtering in bags on the way

I was almost considering fitting a (3rd) spare tank inside one of those roof boxes. However, I do not think I could make it heavier than say 60kg. However, filling the main tank would be easy afterwards, gravity would do it all for me!!! Imagine stopping anywhere at the side of the road and fill up by yourself in a few mins . Has anyone tried this?

Surfie

Surfie,
    60Kg (including the weight of the tank could give you up to 60L of fuel.
    It would also affect the vehicle's handling and fuel consumption.
    Think carefully about this befire acting on it.
    3, 20 litre chem drums in the back are relatively small and can have items stacked on top to minimise loss of space.

Happy New Year,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Tony,

he is driving a two tonne surf - so as long as his roof rack/basket is upto it then he should be fine from a safety point of view.

I have done this a number of times in my surf - however it takes a long while for the oil to run under gravity into the tank (using a 1/2 inch graden hose, and the cap loosened on the plastic oil drum) - i personally would not recommend it - instead retrofit a tyre filling valve to the lid of the drum and use air pressure to force it out - either from an onboard compressor or at the servo on the way up

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

A surf is not a particularly low or a wide track vehicle so I too would not recommend putting an extra 60kg up top.

3 years ago I did a 3200km trip to Kings Canyon and back. Had 400 l of oil in the trailer to do the whole trip. Filled up by air pressurising a 200l plastic drum which forced oil up a 3/4" hose. Could fill up in 2 minutes with no effort.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by surfie View Post
    Also, found the Cape York thread, Johnnojack is a great inspiration. The problem I have is that wife will throw me out if I start filtering in bags on the way
    Surfie
    I didn't use filter bags, yes they would be messy on the road for sure.
    I did manage to carry 190 litres in cubies and 20 l drums inside the vehicle along with all our camping gear. Yes it was crammed at times but after 200 ks one of the tins would find itself waiting empty in a parking bay next to a bin. = more room.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 180000km on WVO,(2018) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids heated filter, fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: no fuel mods except bigger fuel line from tank, running blend of 90% oil 10% petrol 5000km to date. Motor purrs but car has electrical gremlins