Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.8l TD rodeo problem - help needed

Re: 2.8l TD rodeo problem - help needed

hi guys
    have an update on the rodeo. checked the glowplugs all ok. Took out the injectors and got them done and then put them back.

Problem is unfortunately still there so, not sure what the problem might be. Any suggestions from this point?

Have some more info on the trouble I am having
    - cold start will miss and shake and blow lots of bluish grey smoke and struggles to get over 300rpms. Will get up to 1000 rpms eventually but still blow smoke and miss but not so bad
    - If i take it for a run the car drives pretty good and will not blow the much smoke at all when warm. However it does miss slightly on idle and i have noticed that revving at idle around the 1500 rpm mark produces puffs of grey bluish smoke even when warm and also it misses slightly and shakes a little at this rpm. Over 1500 rpms and up she is absolutely fine.
    - If I turn the rodeo off and leave for a short while (goes cool) - the cold start problems return - seems much worse

any thoughts? I am thinking the fuel pump or is it something else?
    Some helpful suggestions from people thanks- could it possibly be air coming in from somewhere? Would this fit the above symptoms.

trying to work out the next step.....

Cheers
    FB

Air leaking into fuel system is the most likely cause.

This has been suggested before but you didn't seem to act on this advice.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Check that you have power to the Cold Start Device ( when engine is cold , it's controlled by a temp. sensor ). This is the gadget sticking out from rear of injector pump above injector fuel pipes , has a green rubber boot where wiring enters. It electromagnetically controls injection timing/advance for "richer" fuelling at cold.
    The injection advance / retard mechanism inside the pump must freely move according to engine revs. It can get stuck or glued up with fats and glycerine from poorly reacted/washed/wet biodiesel . Particularly in cold ambient temps. Engine can appear to be suffering fuel starving even when warm if the advance/retard mechanism is stuck , and sometimes permanent 12 volts hotwired to cold start device can "cure" it .

When the injection timing mechanism is stuck , engine is very sluggish/gutless/smokey when cold starting - maybe improves as everything warms up.

Try a heavy dose of fuel condtioner/algaecide such as Dieselpower, drive hard for a while . Use this stuff at normal dose rate ( 1ml/L ) regularly.
    If this fails , and you dont find any other simple fix , you'll need the pump dismantled and probably rebuilt - $800 !!!

Good luck
    Last edited by timorcoco; 1st August 2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo

Try unhooking the fuel line off the water seperator that comes from the tank and take the fuel line off the fuel filter that comes from the fuel seperator and put the fuel line from the tank onto the fuel filter[in other words eliminate the water seperator/primer]as the primer can have a small hole in it and you not being able to see it and test drive,

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy View Post
    hi guys
    have an update on the rodeo. checked the glowplugs all ok. Took out the injectors and got them done and then put them back.

Problem is unfortunately still there so, not sure what the problem might be. Any suggestions from this point?

Have some more info on the trouble I am having
    - cold start will miss and shake and blow lots of bluish grey smoke and struggles to get over 300rpms. Will get up to 1000 rpms eventually but still blow smoke and miss but not so bad
    - If i take it for a run the car drives pretty good and will not blow the much smoke at all when warm. However it does miss slightly on idle and i have noticed that revving at idle around the 1500 rpm mark produces puffs of grey bluish smoke even when warm and also it misses slightly and shakes a little at this rpm. Over 1500 rpms and up she is absolutely fine.
    - If I turn the rodeo off and leave for a short while (goes cool) - the cold start problems return - seems much worse

any thoughts? I am thinking the fuel pump or is it something else?
    Some helpful suggestions from people thanks- could it possibly be air coming in from somewhere? Would this fit the above symptoms.

trying to work out the next step.....

Cheers
    FB
    From this information, rough idle when warm, smooths out when revving up, it indicates a leaking valve or 2. Same symptoms indicate same problem with petrol or diesel engines.
    Start it from cold and keep it going for a minute at say 1000rpm, then stop it and check which injectors are hot. Cold ones will indicate the cylinder with a crook valve. Do a compression test to confirm.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far

Hi Guys

THanks for all your suggestions.

I have replaced my inj pump (got a cheap 2nd hand one for just 150 bucks), replaced hoses and checked valve clearances. And checked for air. The water separator is rock hard so air before this point is unlikely.

The car definitely starts better in the cold now. It will fire on the first crank. It does still miss and smokes a little but the fuel kicks in much faster and gets to 1000rpm so much quicker with less hassle.

At this startup point though, there is much smoke at idle and particularly around the 1500 rpm mark there is a wobble and smoke. Past thus ie 2000 rpms I it is fine. Once I go for a drive and get her warm she runs like an absolute dream. The wobble and smoke are then practically gone.

I think it must be a stuck or leaky valve. Should have done that test johnnojack so will do. Are there any simple solutions to fixing a crook valve (oil additive??).

The car is certainly running much better and I cant see too much cause for concern, just would like the smoke and lack of power to go away!!

Cheers and much appreciated to all.
    FB

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy View Post
    Hi Guys

THanks for all your suggestions.

I have replaced my inj pump (got a cheap 2nd hand one for just 150 bucks), replaced hoses and checked valve clearances. And checked for air. The water separator is rock hard so air before this point is unlikely.

The car definitely starts better in the cold now. It will fire on the first crank. It does still miss and smokes a little but the fuel kicks in much faster and gets to 1000rpm so much quicker with less hassle.

At this startup point though, there is much smoke at idle and particularly around the 1500 rpm mark there is a wobble and smoke. Past thus ie 2000 rpms I it is fine. Once I go for a drive and get her warm she runs like an absolute dream. The wobble and smoke are then practically gone.

I think it must be a stuck or leaky valve. Should have done that test johnnojack so will do. Are there any simple solutions to fixing a crook valve (oil additive??).

The car is certainly running much better and I cant see too much cause for concern, just would like the smoke and lack of power to go away!!

Cheers and much appreciated to all.
    FB
    Whether you can fix a crook/leaking valve without removing the head depends on how long it has been like it and how much damage has consequently been done to it. Your engine probably has adjustable tappets, so get the tappet cover off and check them to see if they all have clearance. If you have a tight one or two then readjust all to factory specs. You may get away with it, if not no harm will be done and you have a head start to getting the head off and fixing the valves.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far

hi guys

sorry for the delay in replying. good news have fixed the problem.

it seems that I have something wrong with the glow plug circuit via the thermo sensor on the coolant. With the thermo sensor connected, the glowplugs do not receive current and I guess also there is something affecting the fuel injection as well when it is connected. It obviously thinks the coolant is warm and disengages the glow plugs and the fuel injection.

When we disconnect the thermo switch (on the coolant) the glow plugs receive power and the fuel injections seems fine. It starts and runs like an absolute dream!! yippee. Did get my injectors done (450 bucks) but I had done over 100k anyway.

Anyone think leaving this thermo switch disconnected would do any harm? It does leave the glow plugs on until such time as the engine starts (then glow plugs turn off). THats the only noticeable thing but this is manageable.

Just for my curiosity - what do u think might be the issue with the thermo sensor connected.

Cheers for everyones help!!

FB

Hi FarmBoy,

I don't see any problem with bypassing the temp overrride, all it will mean is that when you restart the engine after it being warm, the glowies will still run for their designated time of 10 seconds or whatever each time our turn the key adding to premature wear on the plugs - but that is negligible. I did tell you dad to check that the glow plugs where receiving power ok on cold start though?! .

Bj
    Check out my projects here

"It's all in the twin tub!"

howdy bj. thanks for the tip

yeh my old man and i did test the glow plugs and he said they were receiving current - bit maybe he got it wrong!. Although we have since added a few bits and pieces since then (we replaced the relay and glow plug timer) - so possibly this has something to do with it.........

Ill make sure to make it a quick startup when the engine is warm so not to burn out the glow plugs.

All working good now so i will beat the old man to your excess oil next!

FB