Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Fuels Distribution in Sydney

Hey, that's good info - thanks. It's great that the fuel was a golden colour - obviously a bio blend, but it is really becoming quite clear to us all that they urgently need to clean up their act with being able to inform their consumers. Let's hope they work something out soon.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Hi All,

I did a fill at Forrestville a week ago and so far, apart from the constant
      craving for chips ... all is good.

I tried to start up a conversation with the attendant,
      English was not his first language so a lengthy chat was
      difficult but he did say;
      "everyone using very happy,
      you know it is Australian Standard
      it's better and cheaper"

I asked if he was going to put up a big biodiesel sign and he
      replied "will sell out too quickly, not enough"

I don't have any experience with biodiesel and blending but I would
      guess from the colour and the exhaust aroma that the blend would
      be at least 50% or possibly higher.

If the aroma is stronger for B100 then I may have a problem with
      my waistline

ttfn
      Matthew

Comment

OK I might be able to add some more to this.

The VP in Ingleburn has signs up on the bowsers to inform customers that they are using a blended biodiesel fuel and it was up to standard.

I drive as a courier so since Jan this year I have been using the same VP to fuel up at and have over the time been talking to the 4 different operaters there.

They get their Biodiesel from Future Fuels but they have told me that some times they can not get fuel from future fuels when they require it. Because of the location being in an industrial area they are getting a Diesel delivery every day most weeks of a full tanker load. They can go a week or several with getting 100% of their fuel from Future Fuels but then they can go a month or more with one day from future fuels and the next from whoever they can get diesel from. In 5 months they have only run out of diesel once which was of course when I wanted some

They have said that the owners would love to supply B50 100% of the time but the supply issues seem to be the biggest problem.

At this point I have asked if they could get me something from Future Fuels but they seem to be having the same problem.

From early conversations I had with one of the guys there he said that it was Palm Oil biodiesel but as to if that is true and correct I have no idea.

When I am next in there I will pump him for more info Being a courier we are currently going through between our 2 diesel's about 250L per week of fuel I would love to be able to buy it wholesale or even cook it myself but that is yet to come.
        Dave

Comment

Mobil Biodiesel??

I went to Volumne Plus in Forestville and found that the pump was 'Out of Order' so I drove further up the Hill at Warringah Road and stopped at Metro Petroleum.

Diesel was 139.9 c/L and smelled of BD and looked like BD but there was no signage on the bowser indicating that it is a blend.

I asked the attendent who cheerfully advised that it is a B20 Blend and is supplied by Mobil.

He said he had been selling it for approximatly 1 year now and most people were happy with it.

There is no mention of this on Mobils Web site and judging by the prices they charge at their Brand station it is unlikly that they sell BD blends there.

The mystery tour continous.

Comment

Late Update on the post above.

I rang Metro Petroleum this afternoon after visiting their web site

http://www.dibgroup.com.au/metro.htm

They told me that they sell B20 at most sites, source it from ABG.

So there.

Comment

This is good news. I've contacted them directly and I'll see if they can give us any definative answer (which outlets, which blends, are they constant etc). Hopefully we can get some better info than we've got so far from FF and I can post up a new thread.
              Mobil have been mixing biodiesel from Rutherford for quite some time and are quite interested/supportive of biodiesel. I will have to try and get hold of them too.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Isn't it a bit dodgy to sell it unlabelled? Aren't they risking a media expose with subsequent bad press not just for their brand but also for biodiesel in general? Would have thought they'd be using it as a selling point, not sneaking around with it.

Comment

There are labeling requirements and standards, but I was told that they have not yet been made law. Not sure how true this is. Nonetheless, they are still risking some bad media - I agree. It's always seemed absurd to me that they are not shouting this from the treetops and instead seem to be doing by subterfuge.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

On the topic of Volume Plus and their B50, when I am also happy about the chance of pumping biodiesel from the station around the corner, my enthusiasm is hampered by the other half of the equation. Is there a remote chance to know what sort of diesel is used for the blend? The answer is simple: No.
                    Most "no brand" petrol station when asked say they sell only Caltex fuel. However such is in fact not Caltex Australia at Kurnell but Caltex Singapore, imported and with a very very low standard and a lot of contaminants.
                    I suppose that it boils down to another very simple question. Do you usually buy the cheapest fuel you can find at any no brand petrol station? if the answer is yes than you wouldn't have a problem buying VP biodiesel blend. If you are like me, and you avoid dodgy take away just like dodgy fuel supplies, because you appreciate your health and want to keep your car roadworthy for a reasonable long time, then such mixture of unknown components is a risk not worth taking in my view.

Comment

Go back to an earlier post - Volume plus use Canola and operate a plant at Moama. They claim they only supply less than a 50% blend ie no more than 49%. Quality checks are made as per Aust standards to get the government rebate. Last weekend I called at Holbrook and they were out of diesel waiting for a tanker load blamed on production problems at Moama. My 1984 Rocky loves the stuff and I have not had filter problems.
                      I like to always fill at the same places however commuting between Melbourne to Canberra this is not possible. The reality is that no fuel station attendants are able to give accurate details of the composition of their diesel fuel.

Comment

OK 50% biodiesel, say it is the best ever. What is the other half made of? Cheap unknown source diesel you would never buy on its own.

Comment

I agree Marc, there are more likely to be problems with dodgy D2 than good bio, but they will blame the bio if your car has problems...
                          Shell & BP are both now guaranteed low sulphur, and I think that Caltex Sydney have caught up - but if its imported you wouldn't know (and there is a lot of imported diesel in oz)....

..Neil
                          ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Re:volume plus sth strathfield

Hi everyone,
                            I filled up @ strathfield last friday(first time in the datto)and it took close to half an hour to put 70L in . The label on the bowser read biodiesel.
                            I nearly slipped over twice ,so have to be careful next time.I asked at the counter for a brochure, blend etc and the young guy had no idea

Originally posted by Robert
                            Hmm, sinister. This obviously warrants more investigation. I'll try to get to another one of these stations and see if I get the same thing there.
                            Thanks for your efforts geewizztoo. If anyone else goes past a volume plus servo, could you please do the same?
                            </IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Comment

Just a further piece of info, I fuelled up at the VP Guildford store (listed in the white pages as Granville!) yesterday. It was bright yellow and no hint of petrodiesel smell (to my untrained nose--second ever tank of diesel, and first of bio). I did not bother asking the console operator anything as she looked like she probably wouldn't know . The standard sign others have mentioned was stuck inside the bowser display.

Comment

Hi Guys, Re this issue of percentage of blends.
                                I have it from Andy fischer of SAFF, all blends of BD and fossil diesel must meet an Australian standard, otherwise the fuel supplier is liable for penalties.
                                The blend percentage of BD and fossil diesel is relevant to a table that takes into account --
                                The latitude of the area where the fuel will be sold.
                                The time of year within a quarter anum when the fuel is likely to be consumed.
                                ie, diesel blends sold in winter in Melbourne, are a different blend to diesel blends sold in Darwin at equinox.
                                If a consumer in Sydney buys a diesel blend in Summer, then doesn't consume it 'till mid winter on a drive to the snowy mountains, they should be sure to top up in the mountains before shutting down the engine , otherwise the fuel may reach a gel point.
                                Furthermore according to Andy fischer, there is simply not enough feedstock or biodiesel manufacture to attain the blends we could be selling in the more northern states.

Comment

Working...
                                X