Be Careful !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Careful !!

In fact we actually never forget anything at all. It is all stored in there...somewhere.
    The problem is finding it.
    Now where did I leave my pencil?

Comment

Well even if some other people here don't appreciate this kind of advice, I do.

After reading this I put all my oily rags in a bucket of diluted glycerin. So you could have helped prevent my house burning down, particularly as I'll be away at Christmas. Thanks!

There are plenty of people here who haven't been doing this for long, and may not be aware of all the risks. For those who have, nobody's forcing you to read this post or in fact anything in these forums. But you already knew that because you know everything, don't you?
      Sean

Comment

I also think this is useful and I'm grateful to David for posting it. However, rather than everyone making this a really long thread to get lost in, you should simply rate it and/or offer David some reputation.

To rate the thread, look at the link at the top of the thread the stars you give will show others what everyone thinks of useful threads.

To give David reputation, look for the scales above his posts and give him some points and a comment so he knows what you think. If everyone did this, then people would be able to tell who gives good info.

If you all used the thread ratings and the reputation, maybe this forum would become easier to navigate?
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by David
          It's unfortunate the people that don't ever forget anything will find these warnings boring but if it saves one person from grief or injury, then maybe there are other people like me that think the few seconds of "Boredom" every so often are worth it?
          Here here...

After reading this thread I went and checked on my oily rags and this is what I found. Thanks again Chris for saving my shed.
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

I discovered an unforseen danger with these oily rags today when I washed them and left them in the machine..... The Mrs. Reaction!

Not that we will ever understand the rational of the gentler species, but I am at a loss as to why it was perfectly acceptable the load the machine to the gunwales with **** encrusted cloth nappies when the kids were younger, but somehow there is something wrong with washing some towels that had nothing more sinister on them than what the fish and chips that we happily quaffed down for lunch were cooked in!
            Where is the logic?

Anyway, if you wash your rags in the washing machine ( and dosent a bit of Nappi San and glycerin bring them up nice and bright and fluffy?), Make sure you get them out on the line ( or fence if she a particularly "Vocal" type) before she gets back home from doing the shopping or taking the car for a grease and Oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              but I am at a loss as to why it was perfectly acceptable the load the machine to the gunwales with **** encrusted cloth nappies when the kids were younger.
              This is piss funny. Thanks for the belly laugh.
              Joe Morgan
              Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
              http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
              SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hi all,
                I have the same problem as David.
                The Boss "Your clothes and MY shed (Only half the shed is her's) smell like a fish and chip shop, Yuck."
                Well I guess we all have the same problems - that's life.

Regards
                John H

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
                  An oily rag will bring the whole operation to a firey holt.

Joe
                  Fiery Holt?? Didn't he drown?

Comment

I had never really thought of this, just thought they were oily rags. Today i went to collect some palm oil. It comes in square tins, that used to have a small plastic bung in the lid, but the bloke chops those off to let the oil go back in easier when he empties his vats. Knowing that there is a tendancie to slop about in the back in the troopie, I took an old rag with me and chucked it on top of the drums to stop too much slop.

Left the car and cloth and oil in my sun washed car in Darwin for the day and then drove home. I noted as I got in the car it smelt like really hot overcooked oil. I had not noted this before.

I read this post and slowly the light bulb came on, so I went and had a look in the car. Its dark here, and cooled down (to 32) The cloth although laid flat and open on top of the 4 drums is hot. And stiff, but still slightly moist feeling. i wont be doing that again. I wonder if it did not combust because I had left all the windows fully closed, usually they are down a little letting the breeze blow in... I would hate to lose my car like that (and the 80 l of oil...)

It could have been completely different next week or any other time..I could have scrunched that rag up or opened the windows a touch.... or left the rag in the car in a ball for next weeks run...

Chris

Comment

Yep that happened to me also and as soon as I found this mess I stopped having rags in my LC, I now use disposable paper towels..

YouTube - KiwiPeteACT's Channel - Rag Ingnites
                      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                      Canberra

Comment

lol lol can has moar lol plz
                        1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                        1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X