No announcement yet.

Australian Biodiesel Tax Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody met the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 and got the cleaner fuels grant?

Originally posted by Steve-Kal
    Dear All,

I'm doing a Feasibility Study into starting a home plant (appleseed) and doing it honestly i.e. obtaining an excise license and paying the excise (38.14c/litre). The figures work out, as here in Kal (WA) we are paying $1.50 for dino diesel and the prices only get higher.

However, the goal would be to claim the cleaner fuels grant to recoup the excise costs. To do this I would need to verify the product met the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000.

Q1 - Has anyone managed to get their home processed biodiesel to meet this standard?
    Not to my knowledge, but at least one comercial producer is claiming the cleaner fuel grant, without any of the testing having been done.

Q2 - Is there a lab in WA that can test samples of my home biodiesel to verify conformance (or not) with the quality requirements of the act?
    Contact Jonathon Thwaites (Search UWA website (WWW.UWA.EDU.AU) for him. he is trying to establish a testing facility for biofuels testing. Not running yet, but perhaps soon?

Q3 - Are there any home brewers out there that are paying excise and claiming the cleaner fuels grant?

I hope someone out there can help.

Regards,

Steve
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 14 June 2006, 01:30 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: Cetane Engineso

SGS Darwin has imported and installed a Cetane engine for Biodiesel . It is expected to be fully commissioned by late September early
      October 2006

Comment

Re: Anybody met the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 and got the cleaner fuels grant?

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
        Not to my knowledge, but at least one comercial producer is claiming the cleaner fuel grant, without any of the testing having been done.

Tony, would you care to elaborate on how this producer managed to avoid the test? I’m working through a feasibility study for a small continuous reactor and testing is an area I’m yet to tackle.
        Everything is possible. It's just a matter of engineering, probability and time.

Comment

Originally posted by EcoPower
          Tony, would you care to elaborate on how this producer managed to avoid the test? I’m working through a feasibility study for a small continuous reactor and testing is an area I’m yet to tackle.
          Hi there
          Do you think that it is possible at this stage to elaborate on the conitinious reactor you are working on?
          We have done a lot of work in this area in a number of different designs
          I would be interested in exchanging some views on the subject if you care
          If you wish to keep it out of the forum you may PM me
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

Hello Eco Power,

Would that be 'Northern Mallee' as in Mildura?

I'm part of a BD user group in Mildura. I'm also researching the feasibility of setting up a community based commercial BD facility in the area. If you reckon we can help each other, please get in touch.

Fatboy.

Comment

Re: Australian Biodiesel Tax Info

A users group in Mildura? That is great news. I've not heard anything about this before, so please make sure you tell us about this in here (as a new thread please - maybe in the Melbourne section).
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Robert
                I am on to them they are in Victoria
                Cheers
                Chris
                Never give up :)

Comment

At the time I spoke with him last, he had only just been asked by ATO to provide test results confirming AS compliance.
                  He didn't have any test results at that stage and was looking fro someone to test his biodiesel.
                  I had heard from several of his customers that his fuel solidified at temperatures above 5°C. Whils thia was not specified in the AS, having a winter fuel in Perth with a MP of 5°C is not good for customer relations.

I have not heard from him in the last month. I presume he is trying to have tests performed. I hope that, for his family's sake, that the ATO do not require test results from the starting date of his production, otherwise he will need to repay the grant and may have a hefty penalty also.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Tony or Morris, maybe you can answer this. Morris mentioned at the picnic a group that got put out of business by the ATO demanding a heap of back taxes.

The full details of that tale might be of some interest and education to others, perhaps keep someone else from falling foul of the Government. Anybody know the particulars of what happened?

Comment

Terry,
                      I have not heard of anything along those lines (yet).
                      Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Possibly he was talking about the farmers co-op in Orange? I had heard that they were bankrupted by the taxman. I have no more information than this though - I've only heard rumours. If anyone can get any better info on this, please post it.

(I did some googling on this, but all I found was the story on my own website )
                        Robert
                        Administrator
                        Last edited by Robert; 28 September 2006, 10:02 AM.
                        Robert.
                        Site Admin.

Comment

The Federal Government is extremely generous to Australian Taxpayers. We often hear how generously they give Family Tax Benefits to working families, we hear how they are funding childcare places, Medicare is paying for hospital and medical services, first homeowners' grants, the GST is wholly returned to the states, and the BAS is not difficult for small business, etc. What we don't pay attention to is the difficulty in obtaining the Family Tax Benefit and the risk of oweing the ATO back payments, or how NSW gets a shortfall of $1Billion of GST revenue, or how the GST on a home is more than the Homeowners' Grant, or how many businesses spend unpaid hours of their time collecting and calculating taxes for the Government. The Government annouces reduced personal Tax rates to much acclaim, but uses a Ministerial Order to supress a FOI request for the statistics on how much extra tax it is raking in due to "Bracket Creep"!
                          So when the Government announces in a "Green Initiative" that Biodiesel producers will be exempt from paying the Fuel Excise because of a grant available to offset it, don't believe it until you see the cheque. Because of the difficulties of jumping through the hoops to claim the grant, BD producers are at a disadvantage, and the existance of "Excise Free" BD is a furphy.

When one of the larger producers of BD in Aust cannot claim the rebate, there's something suss about the Govt's good faith in their rebate scheme.
                          Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Working...
                          X