X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydrogen injection into petrol & diesel

Originally posted by Terry Syd
    Marc, I read your long post. I'm not sure if you are engaging in obfuscation or that you just don't understand what I am saying.

I'm saying that this gimmick does not produce a fuel for the engine.

Terry from Sydney...Obfuscation...hehe not for a minute, I think my post is very clear and when conceded it surpasses the number of words some may read in a week, it has the purpose of giving the reader an idea as to why a self generating Hydrogen dual fuel sytem cannot give any savings in fuel ECONOMY. However it may give some power increase at a cost, ( may be )

You say (twice) that this thing does no produce "a fuel for the engine". What do you mean? You do not beleive it produces Hydrogen or you do not beleive Hydrogn can be used as fuel?

To make Hydrogen is not rocket science and in fact I use to make Hydrogen in primary school with a 9 volt battery.

I have no doubt that this thing can actualy make Hydrogen unless it is a complete scam and when you pay you get a black box filled with plaster, but let's give it the benefit of the doubd and assume that the gadget actualy delivers H2 to your intake manifold.

My point and I thought it was rather simple, is that making H2 by splitting water by electrolisis when magnifically simple is energy negative, that is, it uses up more electric energy then the energy contained in the H2 produced.

If you add the inefficiency of the electricity generator and battery, in the order of 80%, the thermal efficiency of a diesel engine 30%, you can quickly see how producing say on million BTU in H2 will cost something like over 4 millions of BTU in diesel, and that disregarding the lossess of water electrolisis that I do not remember.

However.....The same can be said for a lot of the gimmics we buy every day for performance enhancement. 3" exaust pipe, Spoiler, low profile tyres, all cost a lot more than the alleged performance they deliver and you will never recover your money from fuel savings not if you drive like a grandmother on the way to church for the next 10 years.

I think that the idea of generating H2 on board to enhance combustion in a dual fuel set up has some merit, however to claim fuel savings is to engage in deception unless ..... (drum roll)..... the generation of H2 is made in a way that is energy neutral or at no energy cost at all, like for example if the electricity generted for the lisis comes from a generator activated by a turbo in the exhaust or, by a pair of pedals set up in the back seat actioned by your mother in law.....providing you don't have ot pay her food bill that is.

If you want to experiment with H2 generation, get yourself a pot of water, a battery with two wires one + one - and place two test tube over each electrode and you will achieve O2 in one tube and H2 in the other. Be carefull since H2 is explosive.

If you want to know a bit more about H2 production there is something going on low current electrolsis that seems to be much more efficient than the higher voltage
    lisis http://guns.connect.fi/innoplaza/energy/story/Kanarev/
    electrolysis/index.html

Comment

Re: Hydrogen injection into petrol & diesel

Marc, I read your long post. I'm not sure if you are engaging in obfuscation or that you just don't understand what I am saying.

Terry from Sydney...Obfuscation...hehe not for a minute, I think my post is very clear and when conceded it surpasses the number of words some may read in a week, it has the purpose of giving the reader an idea as to why a self generating Hydrogen dual fuel system cannot give any savings in fuel ECONOMY. However it may give some power increase at a cost, ( may be )

You say (twice) that this thing does no produce "a fuel for the engine". What do you mean? You do not belive it produces Hydrogen or you do not belive Hydrogen can be used as fuel?

To make Hydrogen is not rocket science and in fact I use to make Hydrogen in primary school with a 9 volt battery.

I have no doubt that this thing can actually make Hydrogen unless it is a complete scam and when you pay you get a black box filled with plaster, but let's give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that the gadget actually delivers H2 to your intake manifold.

My point and I thought it was rather simple, is that making H2 by splitting water by electrolysis when magnificently simple is energy negative, that is, it uses up more electric energy then the energy contained in the H2 produced.

If you add the inefficiency of the electricity generator and battery, in the order of 80%, the thermal efficiency of a diesel engine 30%, you can quickly see how producing say on million BTU in H2 will cost something like over 4 millions of BTU in diesel, and that disregarding the losses of water electrolysis that I do not remember.

However.....The same can be said for a lot of the gimmicks we buy every day for performance enhancement. 3" exhaust pipe, Spoiler, low profile tyres, all cost a lot more than the alleged performance they deliver and you will never recover your money from fuel savings not if you drive like a grandmother on the way to church for the next 10 years.

I think that the idea of generating H2 on board to enhance combustion in a dual fuel set up has some merit, however to claim fuel savings is to engage in deception unless ..... (drum roll)..... the generation of H2 is made in a way that is energy neutral or at no energy cost at all, like for example if the electricity generated for the lysis comes from a generator activated by a turbo in the exhaust or, by a pair of pedals set up in the back seat activated by your mother in law.....providing you don't have to pay her food bill that is.

If you want to experiment with H2 generation, get yourself a pot of water, a battery with two wires one + one - and place two test tube over each electrode and you will achieve O2 in one tube and H2 in the other. Be careful since H2 is explosive.

If you want to know a bit more about H2 production there is something going on low current electrolysis that seems to be much more efficient than the higher voltage
      http://guns.connect.fi/innoplaza/energy/story/Kanarev/
      electrolysis/index.html

</IMG>

Comment

Re: Hydrogen injection into petrol &amp; diesel

Déjà Vu?

Tilly

Comment

Tilly, yep, as Yogi Berra said ............, all over again.

Marc, I think I have figured out the problem. I had assumed that you had read my earlier posts. Here is one you may have missed.

"First off, it just plugs into the existing intake manifold or air cleaner. That means there is no throttle control on the device.

A diesel engine takes in a full breath of air for each intake stroke. It is the amount of fuel that is metered into the cylinder that determines the engine speed. If this thing actually produced hydrogen for the cylinder the idle speed would be increased. Since the idle speed doesn't increase, that means the bloody thing doesn't do anything. No extra fuel = no extra engine speed - and that is at an IDLE. If this thing was adding any fuel at all it would be most noticeable at idle where just a smiddgen of fuel would increase the engine speed."

You see from the above quote, I am aware that LPG systems are metered, that they have pressure regulators that work on demand. This system does not have such a system. It doesn't even have a simple on/off valve that you might find on a nitrous oxide system that operates at full throttle. Note also that I refer to producing hydrogen, that is the fuel that this gimmick is supposed to provide.

I totally agree with your assessment using the mathematics of hydrogen production - the EROEI (energy return on energy invested) is negative. However, you don't need to waffle on about mathematics and what you did in primary school. As you can see from the way the thing is constructed it doesn't work.

Here is a simple test. Go out to your diesel vehicle and start it, let it idle. Now, take some of your LPG (or butane, gasoline, diesel, hair-spray, hydrogen, etc.) and put some into the air intake. The engine speed will immediately increase.

The engine speed increases because that cylinder of air now has more fuel to burn. The engine is producing more energy and it spins faster.

Since you have experience with multi-fuel engines, I'm sure you have never seen an LPG system that simply had a hose from the pressurised cylinder fed straight into the intake manifold or air cleaner, that is, without any regulation what so ever. That is the way this gimmick is designed.

If you took your vehicle and started to vent some LPG into the manifold at idle you would expect the idle to increase. You should have the same expectation if you started to vent hydrogen into the clyinder at idle.

At idle, a diesel engine is using the least amount of fuel (diesel). Even a very small addition of fuel (diesel, hydrogen) would be a much larger percentage increase in fuel than say at full throttle. Since there is no change in the idle speed with the device hooked up, there is not going to be any change at any other RPM. If it has ZERO effect at idle where it would be most noticeable, then it surely is not going to get you 10%, 20%, 30% or whatever increase in power at any operating engine speed.

You say, "but let's give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that the gadget actually delivers H2 to your intake manifold."

I won't give it such a benefit of the doubt. It's very construction tells me without any doubt that it is worthless. You are welcome to purchase one and get back to us with your conclusions, but if Tilly's post is any indication there appers to have been a substantial increase in the number of fools born every minute. You may have to take a number and wait your turn.

Comment

I see.
            So you basically think that the gadget in question does not produce H2.
            And you base this on the fact (?) that idle speed does not increase.
            Well, at risk of getting more veiled aggression, I must ask how do you know? Is it possible that the electricity that splits the water varies its intensity according to the trottel position? Very easy to do. May be there is a switch to power it off during idle time or when engine is off? Basic safety principle.

I base my position that
            a) it wouldn't give fuel consumption gains unless modified.
            b) it can work it is simple and has some merit.
            based on some basic physics principles, that when irritating to you are irrefutable.

I am not defending the sale of this H2 injection system because I don't think it is any good as it is. As much as it is unethical to sell as is, I still think the idea merits developing.

As for the idea that LPG systems are elaborate, have a look at this one. It is virtually a bottle with a hose straight into the manifold. The existence of a regulator is not to achieve a variation in flow but to get the LPG from high pressure to low pressure. The solenoid is to stop the gas when you take the food off the accelerator. Can't be simpler that that.
            http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm

Comment

Now I am a bit concerned.

Over on the Over Unity Power Research Forum one of the fellows bought one of these devices and he made the following observation"
              HEY EVERYONE,
              AFTER 9 WEEKS I FINALLY RECIEVED MY HYDRO-GEN BOOST SYSTEM.
              WHAT A @%&**($( JOKE. IT IS CONSTRUCTED OF PCV PIPE , FITTINGS AND STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS , WASHERS AND SOME NUTS. OH YEA , IT DOES HAVE A 1 WAY CHECK VALVE. WOO HOO. I WILL SEND THIS PIECE OF CRAP BACK FOR A REFUND. I CAN NOT BELIEVE ANYONE COULD GET AWAY WITH THIS.
              THERE IS NO WAY THIS COULD PRODUCE ENOUGH GAS FOR ANY NEGLIGABLE GAIN IN FUEL SAVINGS.
              I AM STILL WORKING ON THE SERIES CELL AND JOE CELL DESIGNS. HAVE NOT HAD MUCH FREE TIME TO PLAY WITH THESE YET.
              I HIRED A LOCAL MACHINIST FOR ALL OF MY CUTS AND MILLING TASKS.
              I SURE WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL OF THE FRAUD GOING ON.
              ANYONE EVER HEAR OF NANO DETONATORS? IF SO WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS IDEA.

LOYD.

Of course one needs to keep in mind that these fellows are routinely producing devices that achieving 200% and more over unity.

Tilly

Comment

Nano detonators! Damn, now that sounds like a hot item.

I wonder if they are anything like the 'Zeus Boost'.

That is a ceramic like cylinder (not unlike the ceramic interior of a NUCULAR reactor) with two wires coming out of it. It's used to SUPERCHARGE your sparkplugs and give them the power of ZEUS. You remember him, the God of LIGHTENING! All the top racers are using them (you know who they are, wink, wink).

As you know, the modern engine is terribly inefficient. So much fuel is simply sent out the tailpipe that the GOVERNMENT has to pass laws to prevent this pollution, but there is a much BETTER WAY - the ZEUS BOOST!

These devices give you the power of Zeus' lightening to break down the unburnt molecules of fuel and RELEASE THAT ENERGY to form a BOLT OF LIGHTENING in your engine.

There have been reports of 20% to 30% increase in power and economy. In one case, there was a reported 55% INCREASE IN POWER!

Installation is very easy, just hook up the device in parallel with ANY existing wire on your vehicle. You don't even have to have it hooked up to the ignition system! That's right! This device is GUARANTEED to perform equally as well if you hook it up to the brake system, the air conditioning or the trailer lights!

Be the first on your block to own the ZEUS BOOST! Your neighbors will envy you, young women will notice you!

Supplies are limited and going fast. Only $295.00 per unit. Sorry, but only one unit may be sold to a customer as stocks are rapidly running out.
                Terry Syd
                Last edited by Terry Syd; 23 July 2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Now you are talking my language ... haha ... I actually own TWO Zeus boost(R) ! Yes when the gains with only one are amazing, I experimented with two in series and found that I had such power surge that I had to take of in second gear, no way to use first. My last calculation give me 60% power gain and 40% fuel savings.

Of course the most astonishing part is that I hooked the device to a diesel engine. I think that the gains come from the magnetic field that potentiates the fuel and gets the hydrocarbon molecule all exited and burn so much happier. I am planing to have a third Zeus Boost(R) next to the exhaust pipe to help get rid of the gases quicker. I envisage some 30% extra gain. In fact I don't think I will ever need fuel again!

GO the Zeus Boost(R) !!!!
                  PS
                  If you want to invest in the most revolutionary invention ever, the Zeus Boost, send the money to the following account number in switzerland 5127 662255 221354 Zeus Bust Fund P/L

Comment

Read this website: http://www.chechfi.ca/tehisyst.htm

The Hydrogen Injection SystemHow Hydrogen Works (PDF) The technology of using hydrogen as a combustion enhancement in internal combustion engines has been researched and proven for many years. The benefits are factual and well documented. Our own utilization of this technology. i.e. the CHEC HFI hydrogen injection system, has also been tested and proven both by institutions and in hundreds of practical applications in road vehicles.
                    Here is a synopsis of a sampling of the research that has been done:
                    In 1974 John Houseman and D.J/Cerini of the Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology produced a report for the Society of Automotive Engineers entitled "On-Board Hydrogen Generator for a Partial Hydrogen Injection Internal Combustion Engine".
                    In 1974 F.W. Hoehn and M.W. Dowy of the Jet Propulsion Lab, prepared a report for the 9th Inter society Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, entitled "Feasibility Demonstration of a Road Vehicle Fueled with Hydrogen Enriched Gasoline."
                    In the early eighties George Vosper P. Eng., ex-professor of Dynamics and Canadian inventor, designed and patented a device to transform internal combustion engines to run on hydrogen. He later affirms: "A small amount of hydrogen added to the air intake of a gasoline engine would enhance the flame velocity and thus permit the engine to operate with leaner air to gasoline mixture than otherwise possible. The result, far less pollution with more power and better mileage." In 1995, Wagner, Jamal and Wyszynski, at the Birmingham, of University Engineering, Mechanical and Manufacturing>, demonstrated the advantages of "Fractional addition of hydrogen to internal combustion engines by exhaust gas fuel reforming." The process yielded benefits in improved combustion stability and reduced nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon emissions.

Roy MacAlister, PE of the American Hydrogen Association states the "Use of mixtures of hydrogen in small quantities and conventional fuels offers significant reductions in exhaust emissions" and that "Using hydrogen as a combustion stimulant it is possible for other fuels to meet future requirements for lower exhaust emissions in California and an increasing number of additional states. Relatively small amounts of hydrogen can dramatically increase horsepower and reduce exhaust emissions."
                    At the HYPOTHESIS Conference, University of Cassino, Italy, June 26-29, 1995, a group of scientists from the University of Birmingham, UK, presented a study about hydrogen as a fraction of the fuel. In the abstract of that study it stated: "Hydrogen, when used as a fractional additive at extreme lean engine operation, yields benefits in improved combustion stability and reduced nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon emissions."

In the Spring of 1997, at an international conference held by the University of Calgary, a team of scientists representing the Department of Energy Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, presented a mathematical model for the process of formation and restraint of toxic emissions in hydrogen-gasoline mixture fueled engines. Using the theory of chemical dynamics of combustion, the group elaborated an explanation of the mechanism of forming toxic emissions in spark ignition engines. The results of their experimental investigation conclude that because of the characteristics of hydrogen, the mixture can rapidly burn in hydrogen-gasoline mixture fueled engines, thus toxic emissions are restrained. These studies and other research on hydrogen as a fuel supplement generated big efforts in trying to develop practical systems to enhance internal combustion engine performance. A few of them materialized in patented devices that didn't’t reach the level of performance, safety or feasibility that would allow them to reach marketing stages.
                    California Environmental Engineering (CEE) has tested this technology and found reduction on all exhaust emissions. They subsequently stated: "CEE feels that the result of this test verifies that this technology is a viable source for reducing emissions and fuel consumption on large diesel engines."

The American Hydrogen Association Test Lab tested this technology and proved that: "Emissions test results indicate that a decrease of toxic emissions was realized." Again, zero emissions were observed on CO. Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. Vehicle subjected to dynamometer loading in controlled conditions showed drastic reduction of emissions and improved horsepower.
                    Corrections Canada tested several systems and concluded, "The hydrogen system is a valuable tool in helping Corrections Canada meet the overall Green Plan by: reducing vehicle emissions down to an acceptable level and meeting the stringent emissions standard set out by California and British Columbia; reducing the amount of fuel consumed by increased mileage."
                    Additionally, their analysis pointed out that this solution is the most cost effective. For their research they granted the C.S.C. Environmental Award.
                    We also conducted extensive testing in our facility in order to prove reliability (MTBF, life expectancy, etc.) and determine safety and performance of the components and the entire system. As a result of these tests, we achieved important breakthroughs as far as the designs of the components were concerned. We have since increased the hydrogen/oxygen production significantly. This has resulted in increased effectiveness on engine performance.
                    The results of these tests were able to confirm the claims made about this technology: the emissions will be reduced, the horsepower will increase and the fuel consumption will be reduced.

Comment

Did it get quiet on this board or what?

Comment

Hello Dan

One SCAM too many.

Tilly

Comment

Yeah Dan, I went straight to the testimonials. This thing is supposed to be an AID to the combustion process. So how come I can read testimonials of a 40% increase in economy and a saving of crankcase oil consumption of 50%?

What, this thing not only produces a substantial increase in the contents of the fuel tank, but also produces motor oil for the engine?

Comment

I always say,

If you can't provide science at least provide unbelieveable testimonials.
                            Then you know that whoever orders from you is a complete moron and will not be able to figure out how bad they have been ripped off.

Tilly

Comment

Tilly
                              Try these mob for Nano Detonators.
                              http://www.pnl.gov/nano/revolution/index.html

I am invoved in nano reactors and micro reactors.Thanks for sharing the Zuess Boost.They work all right I heard.

Cheers
                              Sauman

Comment

Yeah Dan, I went straight to the testimonials. This thing is supposed to be an AID to the combustion process. So how come I can read testimonials of a 40% increase in economy and a saving of crankcase oil consumption of 50%?

What, this thing not only produces a substantial increase in the contents of the fuel tank, but also produces motor oil for the engine?
                                Most fuel economizers claim that internal combustion engines burn some 70% of fuel and waste the rest, and that their additive/gadget/dual fuel system works by completing the combustion.

When there is SOME true in that claim it is nowhere near 30%, more like 3 to 5%. May be if you take a 1960 F100 set the timing badly and fit too big fuel jets and a dirty air cleaner you may even spit 20% fuel out your tailpipe.

A modern engine in decent maintenance condition will benefit from some of the gadget for sale to a tune of under 5% fuel usage improvement, good but not 30%.

The hydrogen injection system has merit just like LPG fumigation has, however the system must be built to high standards and controlled via a computer to go past the shed experiment stage. To sell something in that stage is not only unethical but plain dangerous and only a fool would buy it.

Comment

Working...
                                X