Peak oil - 4 Corners ABC TV Monday 10/7/06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peak oil - 4 Corners ABC TV Monday 10/7/06

Tony, Bezdek went straight to the most important point - liquid fuel for transport. It is the lynchpin for the drive-by eutopia that Western Society has become. Ironically, that may provide most of your protection.

Take a look at the local Mall where people sit in their little tin boxes driving around trying to find a parking spot that is close to the entrance. Most of them wouldn't dream of walking any significant distance, and to them a kilometer is a significant distance. So, how many people would be willing to walk 20 kilometers out of town (and then have to walk back to their residence)?

I disagree with you on the coal reserves. The latest figures show Peak Coal in about 15 years. The mining has been done on the easy stuff, to get at the more difficult reserves it will take, you guessed it, energy.

When the fuel crisis begins to hit hard, the Government only has one plan - rationing. I looked and nobody on this forum is on the Government's list to get fuel [trust me, I used to be a lawyer ]. You want fuel, then be prepared to make your own.

As Bezdek emphasized, the transport sector is vulnerable. We depend on road transport for just about everything. If the transport sector goes down (and it will eventually), then the whole system collapses. This is not doom and gloom, this is reality.

Perhaps after all the Government (I still hate capitalising that despictable word) inquiries into Peak Oil and Bezdek's recent address, those useless eaters in Canberra might be amenable to having a re-look at the objectives of the BEER campaign. After all, it they think that homemade biodiesel from used cooking oil is a joke, then maybe they could be gracious enough to get the hell out of our way. If they can't do anything constructive, then they could at least not impede those that can do something.

Comment

David, I will not respond to your question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Peak oil or peak water

As glaciers supplying China, India and South America with water recede it may be that water will be a much bigger issue than fuel given the large populations at risk.

Peak oil is probably happening and will result in economic hardship for the first world while lack of water in the third world will have much larger ramifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd View Post
          The latest figures show Peak Coal in about 15 years.
          Which figures exactly? I don't think many people would agree with you there unless you can show us your sources to back this statement up.
          Sean

Comment

Peak coal: sooner than you think - On Line Opinion - 21/5/2007

This article gives a synopsis of the recent studies.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey2 View Post
              Peak oil or peak water

As glaciers supplying China, India and South America with water recede it may be that water will be a much bigger issue than fuel given the large populations at risk.

Peak oil is probably happening and will result in economic hardship for the first world while lack of water in the third world will have much larger ramifications.
              What will happen, is exactly what the WA government has done, build desalination plants, and run them on coal or oil fired generation plants.
              This serves to compound the problem, increasing the GHG and accelerating climate change.

Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

When Brendon Nelson commented about securing Iraqi oil he should have let Australians know the full story. Here is a recent report from the ABC

Aust reliant on Middle East oil: experts - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

["So if you take account of all that, about a third of our liquid fuels come from the Middle East now."

Mr Bethune says Australia receives more oil from the Middle East than the US does, to make up for declining local output.]

I also note at the bottom of the story that ABC states that comments for this article are no longer available, they supposedly delete them after 3 months - but hey, this article is came out TODAY!
                Terry Syd
                Last edited by Terry Syd; 10 July 2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

"Now that it has been established that peak oil Down Under has almost certainly come and gone, and that near term production increases may be disappointing, it is appropriate to ask what Australia is doing about it. Prime Minister John Howard's government is doing next to nothing, according to Bruce Robinson and Phil Hart of ASPO-Australia. The graph (left, click to enlarge) adds a projected oil demand line from Geoscience Australia to their P50 estimate. As consumption increases and production decreases steadily after the 2010 secondary peak, Australia must close the gap by importing more and more oil."

Peak Oil Down Under | EnergyBulletin.net | Peak Oil News Clearinghouse

Comment

"Now that it has been established that peak oil Down Under has almost certainly come and gone, and that near term production increases may be disappointing, it is appropriate to ask what Australia is doing about it. Prime Minister John Howard's government is doing next to nothing, according to Bruce Robinson and Phil Hart of ASPO-Australia. The graph (left, click to enlarge) adds a projected oil demand line from Geoscience Australia to their P50 estimate. As consumption increases and production decreases steadily after the 2010 secondary peak, Australia must close the gap by importing more and more oil."

Peak Oil Down Under | EnergyBulletin.net | Peak Oil News Clearinghouse
                    Robert Mugabe (Mad Bob) should be consulted. His fiscal answer to Zimbabwe's economic woes since the 70's has been to keep printing more and more money, and bugger inflation. I'm sure he would have the answer to Peak Oil, given that he holds seven academic degrees including a degree in violence and all....

PS. The seven degrees including the degree in violence are his own claims
                    Cheers
                    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
                    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
                    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

At least Mugabe makes no pretensions about NOT being a psychopath (unlike many Oz pollies).

Comment

Early in this thread I mentioned going to a DMO meeting (military boffins) and whereas they had lots of things that used energy, they had nothing that made energy. Then I had another post where I linked to an article about the Japanese admitting that their activities in WWII came to a halt because they ran out of oil.

Well, its taken some time, but the light has come on. Someone in the Australian Army has recognised that without fuel the Australian Army is stuffed - and maybe it is time that we recognise that fact and start doing something about it.

http://www.defence.gov.au/ARMY/lwsc/...r07_leckie.pdf

Comment

Well, its taken some time, but the light has come on. Someone in the Australian Army has recognised that without fuel the Australian Army is stuffed - and maybe it is time that we recognise that fact and start doing something about it.
                          I thought part of looking for "weapons of mass destruction" and "freeing east timor" was part of that solution,as these vital things seem to happen where there's crude oil. Mind you perhaps its to convince the population they hadnt thought of the peak oil and defending ourselves before now....

Also distrubingly this would seem to advantage countries with large numbers of soliders, (who seem less reliant of fossil fuel than say, a tank) rather than countries who may be standing beside their high tech armoured weaponry, who could remove lots of soliders, so long as the invading force drops by the barracks because the weaponry does not have any fuel to move it.

Perhaps I now understand the "a child for each parent and one for the country" comment made by a pollie.

Mind you with comments like "As an example, hydrogen, which is an energy carrier, not an energy source, will always require more energy to create it than is released when it is used as a fuel" they are ahead of a lot of the population, so I hope they have thought it through.
                          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I remember flying scouts in 'Nam. I was burning heaps of fuel tracking people, looking for signs, the gun bird overhead was likewise burning up heaps of JP-4. If there was an air assault, the combination of all the lift ships, ARA, guns, artillery, support, etc. probably would have burned up enough energy to keep Sydney in fuel for a day. Everything was energy intensive, without fuel the whole thing would have ground to a halt. I also remember during the monsoon season in '68 the North Vietnamese were using ELEPHANTS to move supplies down the muddy Ho Chi Minh trail. Maybe we could take a page out of their book and move from Air Cavalry back to a newer version of the Light Horse Brigade.

Then there was that Japanese invasion (I think it was Singapore) where instead of trucks, they gave each soldier a bicycle and pointed South.

In regards to the civilian population, the only thing the government has done in regards to Peak Oil is to review the Liquid Fuels Emergency Act 1984 - that's rationing for those not aware.

This just in, the Australian Association for the Study of Peak Oil has called for - wait for it...... rationing.

Record oil price sparks call for petrol rationing | theage.com.au

That is political suicide at this stage, so we will have to wait until the SHTF and people are screaming for the government to do something, then....

Comment

That show was a real eye opener. Sure shows you how little big oil cares about the consumer and how greed drives the world. Should be encouraging for all us biodiesel people....

Comment

San Diego? Did they recently run the ABC show in SoCal?

Comment

Working...
                                X