Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fitch Catalyst - Genuine Improvement or Fake Hype?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Fitch Catalyst - Genuine Improvement or Fake Hype?

I second the idea of doing a dyno with dual fuel lines into the engine.
    Last edited by Guest; 15 July 2006, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The internet is awash with products that using magnets claim everything from 30% fuel savings, to killing algae and bacteria in fuel, "aligning" the molecules for better burning, catalyst for combustion and other magic.
      When the effects of magnetic fields on culture growth is little understood and a bit old fashion, and magnetic fields do have some form of influence on organic matter, the claims of most products is usually wild. Particularly in the department of fuel savings, a simple equation with energy of fuel on one side and energy produced + claim on the other side will show a creation of energy, something that is not plausible. 2L in 100K, considering an average consumption of 10L x 100K is a 20% saving on fuel. A very big claim.

If a device can improve combustion by 20% that means that we are all spitting out our tile pipe 20% unburned fuel. When there are a lot of internet writers who will assure you we are all pumping 30% of our fuel through the exhaust, such is absolute nonsense and any high school student can prove that to be wrong. Not to mention we should tell the tunnel opertaors since there is bound to be an explosion any time.

The best that a combustion additive can do without modifications to the engine and if it is really good is 2-3%.

You know that you can buy magnets to clean your sump oil from metallic residue? They stick to the outside of the oil pan of your motor, auto transmission or oil filter ... and do absolutely nothing.
      However there will be always people like myself who will pay $60 for a magnet to stick to your oil filter.
      I agree that it looks cool and invariably the mechanic will ask what it is for and you can always say it is to track the car from a satellite in case it is stolen, or that it aligns the oil molecules so that they lay neatly next to each other when pumped between the crank shaft and the bushes and make the shaft float, and in this way there is zero friction and the engine gives 20% more power. To prove it all I need to do is show my burned rubber from when I did a wheelie after fitting the magnet.

I enjoied reading this :http://www.fuelsaving.info/catalysts.htm

And this even more, the FItch Catalist is down the page.
      http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:M...&ct=clnk&cd=10
      Last edited by Guest; 15 July 2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I am not certain if the drop-in fitch pellets are ferromagnetic. Perhaps the cannister ones are - any response from the distributors on this detail?

However, I suspect the fitch pellets are paramagnetic. Anyone know of a way to test for this?

Also on the subject of magnets - I have tested a few of these in the past 5 years. One of them has yielded interesting results, but long term tests are still underway on a Merc E-class kompressor. Will know in about one month's time when ten or so tanksful are used up.

Comment

THIS STUFF WORKS. [/QUOTE]

Well, okay here's my version of how I got interested in the Fitch, and regardless of how many brickbats I get for this post, it's the truth so help me.

I got hold of a F4T - 4 pellets in a plastic cage. My dad's got an old lawnmower (roversport 3.5 hp or something) that runs very rough and won't run on full throttle properly without stalling. I started her up with a tank of stale 98 shell and true enough she ran as badly as ever even after warming up properly. This thing has never run well, even with fresh fuel - it badly needs a decoke.

Then I stopped the machine, dropped the pellets in and left them to sit there for about 15 minutes or so, then swirled it around a bit. I started her up and the old mower ran roughly for a couple minutes, then became suddenly smoother. I tried throttling her from low to full throttle and it revved really cleanly. It also sounded better - throatier. I then proceeded to cut the entire lawn to about 1/2 inch high. She stalled a couple times, but started right up again and again. Never been able cut the grass this short before. I repeated the whole cycle two more times - each time draining the fuel and replenishing with untreated fuel only to have the same rough running with the untreated fuel. Each time the pellets went in the tank and sat there awhile, the machine started to run well again after the untreated fuel was cleared of the carb.

This was almost two months ago. I took the pellets out of the tank right after that test, and the lawnmower's been sitting with the same fuel since that time. I started her up again yesterday and she is running as badly as ever, proof if anything that fuel does deteriorate with time. So maybe I'll try the fitch test with the stale fuel again - if I can find the time.

A lot of people have asked why lawnmowers seem to be the favourite test
          machine for these things. Well why not? They're cheap, carburetted and if they blow up it's not much of a loss is it.

Likewise the Fitch seems to have a following amongst motorcyclists - largely I suspect because it's easy to drop into the fuel tank. Whereas it's a lot more difficult to fit in a car - even the drop in version won't just slip in through the fuel filler nozzle - they need to be inserted through the fuel pump opening - which is pretty hazardous. I have had four of these things sitting in my x-trail's tank for over 2 weeks now. So if the engine blows up, you guys will be among the first to know it doesn't work.
          Last edited by Guest; 15 July 2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Re: Performafuel Catalyst

[QUOTE=Robert]Here is another fuel catalyst:

Performafuel

The Performafuel appears to be similar to the Broquet catalyst - in that it lies on its side. I have done some investigations into the Broquet and here are my personal findings, which are highly subjective and may not bear scrutiny in the scientific and engineering community. But here goes anyway:

Broquet's pellets are in direct surface contact with one another. They are also encased in a fine metal mesh, which suggests that the pellets may need to work with another metal in order for some sort of catalysis to take place.

Over time, Broquet appears to break down. My uncle ran a broquet in his mazda 929 tank for a couple decades until he finally scrapped the car. He found no problems running unleaded, despite the fact that the 929 was designed for leaded fuel. Out of curiousity, we retrieved the pellets from the fuel tank and found they had been reduced to a fraction their original size.

I spoke to an engineer recently on this, and he cited the possibility that the compound in Broquet may have dissolved in the fuel and ended up being deposited on the cylinder walls and top piston ring, in this way perhaps lubricating the cylinders and reducing cylinder temperatures. His concern was how much of this ended up in the air and in our lungs...

This led me to think that the Fitch worked in a similar way. So I took a F4T and pried apart the plastic cage. The pellets are not in any direct contact with each other as they are separated by a rim of plastic. I think I also read somewhere that Fitch is re-cycleable and that the used pellets could be returned to the manufacturer (?!).

Also, the Fitch cannister style system appears to install upright, with fuel flowing from bottom to top and thereafter into the fuel line leading to the injectors.

If the Fitch is working along a similar principle as the Broquet (or Performafuel?), I'd certainly like to know why it's designed differently.

Or does it work in a different way altogether.

Comment

This whole thing about fuel catalysts is a load of bumkum as far as im am concerned. At the end of the day, why spend more money to save money?(fairdimkum absurd) i have herd of all sorts a rubbish ideas about these things from inserting a rag to draw fuel out of a cannister mounted under the bonnet instead of pumping more fuel into system than what is required(as current sytems do...the unused fuel is diverted back to tank) to this fitch system. Realistically, the only way to improve engine performance and enconomy is to improve engine design (ie reduce friction, reduce energy losss through heat radiation, improve volumetric efficiency like turbocharging for instance, or using extractors etc etc). Unburned fuel blowing out of an exhaust pipe relates directly to poor design and maintenance. People who go looking for magic cures in additives are doing nothing more than supporting con artists. Dont waste your money.
              Oh and one other thing, a leaded vehicle will quit happily run on unleaded petrol without additives. the reason we use additives in such situations is for upper cylinder lubcrication and valve protection. As for you uncle running unleaded fuel in a leaded vehicle for years, did he have a catylictic converter fitted to the exhaust to prevent dangerous emssions??? He was doing far more damage to the environment and those unlucky travellers behind him in other vewhicles than good. I read an article on the dangers of using unleaded fuel under these circumstances in popular mechanics magazine a few years ago. According to this article, the emissions that stuff produces in automotive engines is nothing short of deadly (far more so than the lead in leaded fuels) when not controlled properly by the cars emission systems.
              Anyway that is a different topic of discussion so ill leave it at that.
              Cheers
              adamjedgar
              Last edited by adamjedgar; 16 July 2006, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leongster
                I am not certain if the drop-in fitch pellets are ferromagnetic. Perhaps the cannister ones are - any response from the distributors on this detail?

However, I suspect the fitch pellets are paramagnetic. Anyone know of a way to test for this?

Also on the subject of magnets - I have tested a few of these in the past 5 years. One of them has yielded interesting results, but long term tests are still underway on a Merc E-class kompressor. Will know in about one month's time when ten or so tanksful are used up.
                Hi There
                Paramagnetism is an interesting subject It is a science of materials that has been bought to the forefront by Prof Callahan a renown expert in the field It is a very much used in organic farming particularly in relation to the soil and it's constituents The prof has published a number of books on the subject and I do own one of his devices to measure paramagnetism which we used to determine the state of inputs in our organic farm
                I will be more than happy to test some of these pellets for you if you where to organise some
                In the meantime here is a link discussing paramagnetism as well as some other scientific issues in relation to it Let me tell you that the subject is well respected amongst organic as well as biodynamic farmers besides in the rather obscure art of subatomic reactions taking place within atoms Hairy stuff indeed I am quite at a loss though that you are suggesting that these tablets are paramagnetic If they are made of metalic matter they are more than likely be ferromagnetic or diamagnetic which means that they will act as a normal magnet does Ie N and S poles, attraction repulsion Paramagnetic materials gather their energy from Cosmic forces or outer space which is what the professor advocates Any way here is the link And good luck
                http://www.biodynamics.com/discussio...1/000000a0.htm
                Cheers
                Chris
                Cheers
                Chris
                Never give up :)

Comment

This Stuff is absolute Garbage

Hello leongster

I do find it interesting that you claim to be from Singapore, you join an Australian biodiesel discussion forum and you Immediatly launch into glowing stories of what a wonderous product the Fitch Money Catalyser is.
                  In your very first posting to this forum you state: "For the record, I am not in any way associated with Fitch..."
                  Which, in my experience, is exactly what the people who are involved in the various internet scams start out by saying.

All of your posts to date have been glowing endorsments of the Fitch Money Scamming Catalyst, but interestingly you have provided not one shred of hard proof, just glowing stories.
                  I nearly fell off my chair laughing when you said you had "Never been able cut the grass this short before" using the Filch Catalyser.

Do you really take us for a bunch of idiots?
                  Just because we discuss biodiesel does not mean we are weak minded.
                  If you can provide a URL to some REAL tests results that are from reputable testing orginizations that would be fantastic.
                  Otherwise give us a break and spare us from your Fairy Tales.

Tilly
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 16 July 2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I thought this site was about biofuels, not accesories, fuel additives, its about biofuels.

The catalyst argument should not be here, its about biofuels.

Comment

This is apparently how the Fitch Money Magnet works

Tilly

Comment

Quote: "Do you really take us for a bunch of idiots?"

Hi Tilly,

No I certainly do not take you for a bunch of ninnys. Your reaction is the exact same one I got when I opened a thread on the Broquet fuel catalyst on a Nissan forum some weeks ago, looking for information. So I do not really blame you for thinking I'm a propagandist. (Frankly I was hoping that the biodiesel forum had more educated and informed members - and so far I believe it has, given some of the responses here.)

I am simply relating my personal experience on this. If it'll make everyone happy, I'll simply not refer to any brand names from now on. But I will say this again: I arranged for this "thingy" to be used in a 28 tonne firetruck. In a nutshell, with the treated fuel 3.2 seconds was shaved off the 0-80 kph acceleration time (average of 3 and 4 runs). Before treatment, the 0-80 took 36.6 seconds. After treatment - 33.4 seconds. This was witnessed by a dozen people. Hoax? I am still scratching my head, but stopwatches do not lie.

Someone here asked for a sample of the pellets to test for paramagnetism- (Perhaps Bowser Buster as the distributor in your region can do this? Let me know if you can send the pellets. If not, I'd be happy to oblige, Chris.)

We'll never know for sure what works and what doesn't, unless folks are willing to come forward with first-hand accounts on successes and failures.

But the naysayers should at least try to refrain from slinging stones and arrows before the fat lady sings.

For instance, I understand Biodiesel tends to go bad in storage. If someone can give me more information on this, I may be able to do a simple test to see if this thing preserves normal diesel the way it claims to. If it does, then maybe it works on Biodiesel too.

BTW, I love the magnet picture. All the same, here's some bedtime reading . The question is, if all of these things are fake, then how did these guys get so big?

http://www.mundi.com

http://www.magnetizer.com:)
                        Last edited by Guest; 17 July 2006, 04:47 AM.

Comment

This Stuff is absolute Garbage!

Why does a perosn living in Singapore join an Australian biodiesel discussion forum to post fairy tales supporting a product that is a recognised SCAM?

The Fat lady sang a long time ago about fuel magnets. The words are Dont be so stupid as to waste your money on this garbage.

I know for sure that drizzling my fuel over a magnet does not improve how my car runs. Or is this a faith based thing?

Why does my Crap-o-meter start beeping madly every time I read something you write?

Tilly
                          tillyfromparadise
                          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17 July 2006, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Why does my Crap-o-meter start beeping madly every time I read something you write?

Tilly[/QUOTE]

Here's why. Probably because somewhere in the deepest recesses of your mind there's a little voice that's saying that maybe there is more to this "crap" than you're willing to admit to.

Anyhow, the magnets were a temporary distraction. We are talking about the fuel catalyst here.

This thread on this forum was initiated to obtain responses from real-life experiences using this. And that is why "someone from Singapore" decided to write in. Why would anyone in his or her right mind engage in this forum only to be subject to the sort of ridicule that has been seen here. As for my interest in Biodiesel - I have been interested in this for awhile now and that's how I happened across this forum.

As I said in an earlier post: the only way we'll learn to separate fact from fiction and scams from humdingers is for people to come forward with their successes or failures.

This is exactly what I am doing. And having acquired some useful results from actual tests (of which more will be revealed, given the opportunity), I'll continue to post what I know until I am either removed from this forum or it shuts down. I am certain there are people apart from yourself whose interest has been piqued. Just look at the eyeballs since this thread was started.

What is really of interest is the fact that this product seems to have been dismissed in a handful websites only. And mostly because it's been grouped together in one article with a bunch of "tin"-based catalysts that have been proven not to work. I can't seem to find any evidence of the Fitch being "tin-based".

Give this debate a chance.
                            Last edited by Guest; 17 July 2006, 01:06 PM.

Comment

To clarify - what I am saying relates to the Fitch fuel catalyst - lest there be any confusion.
                              Last edited by Guest; 17 July 2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Filch Catalyser- Absolute Garbage!

Hello leongster,
                                You said: "Probably because somewhere in the deepest recesses of your mind there's a little voice that's saying that maybe there is more to this "crap" than you're willing to admit to."
                                No leongster, deep down I am thinking "The Filch catalyser is the biggest load of crapola imaginable."

Interesting that you seem to have now decided it is not a maginet. I was reading a website last night where a fellow reported that he had opened one of the catalysers and found a filter and magnet inside.
                                $400- $500 seems a lot to spend on a fuel filter and magnet.

Tilly

Comment

Working...
                                X