Biodiesel Magazine online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel Magazine online

Jeff Anderson just sent me a link to Biodiesel Magazine. You can subscribe to get the updates on a regular basis. It is an industry oriented magazine from the U.S.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/issue.jsp

The article on glycerin is interesting. The price of refined glycerin has dropped to the point of being used as boiler fuel and chicken feed. Some smaller plants are apparently having to pay people to take the glycerin away.

I wish there was a lot more research on glycerin being used in foodstuffs. The moral argument against taking vegetable oil for food in a hungry world and converting it to motor fuel could be ameliorated if the glycerin was incorporated into the food chain.
    Terry Syd
    Last edited by Terry Syd; 19 September 2006, 10:30 AM.

Re: Biodiesel Magazine online

Thanks for the tip Terry - I am going to check it out.

Cheers,
    cameron

Comment

Re: Biodiesel Magazine online

Cameron, it is a very good source of energy. Unlike sugar (sucrose, dextrose, glucose) the glycerin does not have a glycemic effect. What that means is it doesn't upset your blood sugar level. None of the 'high', then crash scenario.

I've heard of it being used in energy food bars for just that reason.

I've always considered the Macadamia nut tree to be one of the best potential sources of oil for biodiesel. It has very high yields and the tree is perennial so there is less energy input for the crop (EROEI). If the top grade nuts were sorted and then sold onto the market, then the seconds can be crushed for oil. The meal from the nuts is high in protein.

Now, if we can combine the high protein nut meal with the high energy (and low glycemic) glycerin, throw in some chopped dried fruit, and we could have a very nutritious energy food bar.

We would also have the fuel to deliver the bars to market!

Comment

Working...
      X