• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Sydney Users

can you beat $1.25 per litre

Comment

Hi Hidatid,

Can you please tell me what volume of methanol you need to buy in order to get it for $1.00/lt, and from where? $1 sounds great, especially compared with the $1.40 I pay!

Thanks,

Justin

Comment

The price from Austorc for a 205 lt drum is $230.00 gst inc and no drum deposit is required.As being registed for gst I claim $23.00 +a $3.00 return on the drum at a drum recycler Doing the sums has it at 99.5 cpl. Also I can fax an order to them and they will drop a drum at my door for $25.00 I save about 2hrs and don't have to handle heavy drums on or off vehicle
        Last edited by Hidatid; 5 July 2007, 06:03 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Methonal 205 Litre drum

I can't find Austorc in the NSW White pages. Can you supply their contact phone and address?
          George

Comment

Austorc are in Punchbowl NSW 98211128

Comment

Hi, I've been watching the forum for a while, and with the movement in petrodiesel pricing "its time to move on" (sounds like an election statement... but enough of those !!).
              So here again is the pereneal question... I live in the north west of Sydney not far from Auscol and am looking for a supply of vegie oil. According to aged posts Auscol won't help (but I may be wrong) but any other source will do. I'm arranging for 220 litre storage drums to be delivered soon and will be able to collect locally without a problem.
              Any advice???
              cheers
              Roger

Comment

I see so much oil around in so many places, I myself am at a loss to imagine how anyone in the suburbs can't get all they need.

The stuff won't fall in your lap. You have to get out, drive around, go see people and develop a nose for where the oil will be. For the investment of your time you will be repaid 100 times over with cheap and environmentally friendly fuel, whichever is more important to you.

Small clubs like bowling clubs are a good source as many don't seem to have enough oil to attract the attention of the collectors but can easy do 40-100L per week. In my experience with these places, they will thank you for taking the oil off their hands.

A lot of people seem to think that because they see collectors drums somewhere, the place is off limits. If your fair dinkum about getting a supply you will see these drums as opportunity markers and you will go see the shop owners and see if they will give you some of their oil.
                Now before the veg oil morals police jump in, technically it is theft to remove oil from their drums even if you have the shop owners permission. If you are troubled by such things, you can always put your own drum there and ask the shop owner to fill it for you first.

Be aware however the oil collectors have nothing like the lofty morals often preached to us veg oilers and will take the oil from your drum or take the drum all together. You can of course work out when they do their collection and get in before them. If your making Bio and want to get rid of your glyc or want somewhere to dump your slops, Putting them back in your own drum just before the collector comes is a very convinent way of getting rid of them. They will happily take whatever they find and if they are stupid enough to steal your waste, then they are entirely and completely at fault.

You will find most shop owners think of the used oil as a waste product they are more than happy to get rid of and don't give a dam who takes it as long as it is gone. Generally when you ask at places that have oil they will tell you they already have someone collecting it. I have then asked " Well would you mind If I collected some of it too?" This little persistence will then return a 90% response of " I don't care who takes it as long as it's gone!" You are then free to take as much or little as you like.

Many people reccomend having a meal or buying food at the place you want to approach and certainly this method has been successful, sometimes too much so, for me. I have been to places with friends who have had a word with the chef and lined up oil I didn't want in the time it takes me to go to the bar for drinks and come back!

If you approach 5 places and get the knock back from them all, you are doing something very wrong so change your approach and tactics and try again. If you have young kids, by all means take them with you and buy them something and then ask about the oil. In my experience your virtually guaranteed a yes with this pitch.

Many people go after oil put back in the original tins. Only a small percentage of places do this but they are normally the ones without collectors already. I find tins a pain and you end up with drums everywhere that if you don't stay on top of, can be a real problem. If you get tins, get a sledge or great lump of wood and flatten them down and put them in the recycle bin as soon as you empty them.

Personally I much prefer pumping from drums into the plastic 25L drums that the floor cleaner and detergent comes in and most restaurants have a pile of out the back you can appropriate for free. For $50 you can buy a boat bilge pump with a healthy flow rate on oil and just keep it submerged in the oil drum and pump off the liquid gold into the drums. When you get home you just empty them into your 205L settling drums and go out on your next run with the same small drums. I have 16 of these clear drums so I can see the oil level as I pump it. I can put 8 in the car at a time so I get one lot of 200L, unload it, put in empty 25L drums and I am straight back out to the next pickup. When i get that home then I can put it in the settling drums when I'm ready.

I suggest using the largest storage drums possible. 25's and 60's are a waste of time, go for 200's or the 1000L square ones on a pallet. I'm going to get some 200's and cut the bottoms out and weld them together so I can store more oil without taking up more yard space and have the bungs at the top and bottom for filling and draining. ( Fill from the Bottom Bung and take off the overflow from the top.)

Big tip: Check out the oil before you ask for it! There is some around that you really don't want no matter how little you regularly get!

Getting oil isn't rocket science but does take some effort and persistence. In the metropolitan area, there is more oil than all veg oilers could ever use.

Comment

Hey

New to the forum. I am interested in makign my own bio-diesel for personal use. I have a Holden Captiva turbo Diesel (2007). Before startign I would like to be able to watch someone making it, I learn best that way. I am in Mayshill (near Westmead).Thks
                  alex

Comment

You should come along to the picnic on Sunday - that's where you're sure to meet some people who can give you some good advice and help get you started.
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks mate,checking out the site now.If its not too far I will be there.

Comment

Couldn't make it out there is weekend.You know when is the next meeting?

Comment

We'll probably try to have one around March next year, but the location is as yet unknown.
                          Robert.
                          Site Admin.

Comment

Hey Robert

At the the start of this thread you seemed to not know much about making bio diesel.Where are you at now with it?Just for me to know. I am a medical practitioner with not much experience with hands on stuff like this. How difficult have it been for you to learn how to make it?
                            al

Comment

Originally posted by Kalikaputra View Post
                              Hey Robert

At the the start of this thread you seemed to not know much about making bio diesel.Where are you at now with it?Just for me to know. I am a medical practitioner with not much experience with hands on stuff like this. How difficult have it been for you to learn how to make it?
                              al
                              Funny thing is that I still don't make biodiesel!

Having said that, it's not that difficult. I buy my biodiesel commercially from The Biodiesel Station in Marrickville, rather than make it myself, but as you might imagine, I've mixed with a lot of people who do make it themselves.
                              If you can get yourself some used cooking oil, some methanol and some potassium (or sodium) hydroxide, you can mix some up quite easily. But I'm really getting out of my depth here, so I'd suggest you talk to some of the people who actually make the stuff themselves.
                              Robert.
                              Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Working...
                                X