Foolproof Room Temperature (FRT) Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foolproof Room Temperature (FRT) Biodiesel

REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF CATALYST! Blimey that's radical. Sorry Mark I couldn't resist that little dig. Glad to hear it though. Maybe you could even try titrating your oil. I look forward to your results.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hi Mark

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
      Method update:

Also, as I've become aware that this method uses about twice as much (apparently) catalyst as the Dr Pepper method, I'm going to attempt to optimise it.
      But you only recently increased the KOH from 15g to 20g. Maybe you need to further increase the amount of KOH you are using- say to 25g or 30g KOH per litre of oil.

If I can reduce the level of catalyst, that will cut a few cents off the cost and reduce the amount of solid waste generated. Stay tuned
      Do you mean you finally realize that the HUGE glycerol layer you are producing because of the massive amount of KOH you use in the reaction is a big waste.
      PS you forgot to tell everyone about your degrees in chemistry

Comment

Dr Mark Are you still drying your methoxide solution prior to the transesterification reaction? Maybe drying with cement? Le Chatlier's principle would indicate one advantage to that in the increase in methoxide concentration in solution but making soaps bonded to a metal with a valence of 2 is not good. Calcium soap, magnesium soap would be difficult to remove from biodiesel product. In the case of drying with calcium oxide , calcium hydroxide would be soluble in methanol/ methoxide solution to a degree and would make calcium soaps , combining with free fatty acids present in used vegetable oil.

Comment

Working...
        X