Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water washing

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz
    I would not like to see the heater on a PVC pipe. The PVC will soften at less than 100°C and may cause issues. Perhaps you could attach it to a piece of pine (sealing up the connections appropriately) and suspend it as par your suggestion.
    I like the idea, just not the PVC.
    Tony
    Aaaahhh???? Well it only gets to 30°C It is only there to warm the bio to help in washing and drying not for processing. This is an Aquarium Heater in fact the heater only goes to approx 35°C....
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

Originally posted by hdj80
      Tony
      Aaaahhh???? Well it only gets to 30°C It is only there to warm the bio to help in washing and drying not for processing. This is an Aquarium Heater in fact the heater only goes to approx 35°C....
      It was not your post I replied to, it was the prior post:
      "In the mean time, I have used a1800 watt immersion heater out of a 50 Litre HWS I picked up at the recycling centre, bolted it in the end of a 100MM PVC pipe, bolted to the end cap and sealed with silicone and the Blue pvc weld Goo. I will drill a hole through it at the height I want it to be in my new wash tanks and push a rod across so as not to let it get too low down in the tank."

1800 W does not sound like an aquarium heater!
      That is why I posted my comment about PVC softening.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Well guys,

I have almost finished the 2nd 100 Litre pre wash batch, one is just about to get nearly dry in a Blue carboy in direct UV exposure, been bubble washing now for nearly a week, gets so close to being clear in a 2 litre jug, can see the bottom of jug very well, not the sparkle of my previous washed batch (normal Proc No amount of further drying will seem to get it there. Have emptied the drum into seperate 3 x 20 Litre carboys (the rest of this batch has already been stored in finishing drum by test washing in 2 litre bottles (sparkling).
        My last pre wash sample is still settling in the wash tank (my new 200 lt natural colour tank- allows me to see any reaction I have.) Have done 2 long settles and 3 washes and no matter how long ( non have been less than 24 hours) I leave it I still seem to have a homogenous layer looking like orange juice. No obvious bubbles in it, water draining is slightly cloudy but the water has a PH the same as the water used to wash. 1 litre in a 2 Lt bottle of the stuff washed and agitated, drops out quickly and almost clear, balanced PH. and will dry in open UV. The main difference in Pre wash batches is the weather change. The straight process was done in hot dryish weather, there has since been a weather change of regular rainfall (Queensland Style) I have been for the past week monitoring the Humidity factor and there is from early morning a 75% humidity, improves about midday to around the 50%, which helped, but if cloud is evident the humidity soon climbs to the 70's +Even in cloud the UV factor is still effective for clear containers, it does have some effect. It appears that the weather could have a bearing on my outcomes. But the normal size batches of the pre wash are moving very slowly, I have also tried my SS Aquarium 300 watt thermostatic controlled heater to assist but to little avail. I shall revert in my next batch that I am ready to start with no pre wash under similar weather conditions, maybe it will react the same???
        Hope springs eternal, "I think"
        Anyone experienced the Humidity changes effecting things so much????
        I must still say I am at least producing so not complaining about the gold. Just that I cannot get the pre wash stuff from not finishing into the sparkling stuff I am expecting. Still, now having 2 wash drums it will help a lot to continue.

Rgds

Dillyman
        dillyman
        Last edited by dillyman; 20 May 2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Well, it seems that the answer has become self evident. Good sunshine today, humidity at 45%, the remaining 3 carboys have started to clear well in the sun. Little cloud, but reasonable weather all day. The last 100 litre wash batch has started to show better colour today with 6 hours of bubble wash, going to settle overnight, the water dropout is looking reasonable clear and no obvious soap signs. will await o/n settling. It certainly tells me not to expect too much progress in high humidity conditions up here. Have a break and await better conditions.
          Hope this gives some possible indications for others in similar conditions.

Rgds

Dillyman

Comment

Originally posted by dillyman
            Well guys,

I have almost finished the 2nd 100 Litre pre wash batch
            This is a stab but "pre wash" I use NaOH and as I have said in previous posts on this matter I did 3 of 100litre prewash batches and each one failed to impress me. I experienced similar washing troubles as yourself using the prewash method.
            Basically Bloody hard to wash and however the finial product did initially look fine but when my samples cooled they went cloudy very quickly and now a couple months on they each have varying quanities of a white layer on the bottom of each jar. Now this may indicate that the washing was poor but doesn't really worry me as each batch I have done on either side of these is fine... Pre wash may work for some but it's not my cup of tea. No Pre washing for HDJ80.

BTW Tony From West Oz Oooops sorry must read things more carefully
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

Hi HDJ80,
              Well, I have done two consecutive 100 Lt batches and both are not the best to handle. Certainly not as good as the basic batch, which by comparison was much easier and quicker to react. I must add the smaller samples behave very well indeed, but my choice batches ,afraid not! I use KOH, so it seems irrelevant which catalyst. I cannot say it is no good as it works for some people. For me, no thank you. I have no desire to be as active in the process as I have had to in these two batches. After my initial original thrashing in my first batch with wash and emulsion, after breaking this, it was great when I learned to settle better. I tend to feel that I will allow the process to continue overnight it may create more reaction than the instant halt of added H2O. I have toyed with the idea of the 2% pre wash, as suggested by Terry Syd. Nevetheless I do not think it will be for me, after my initial impatience the rest was great. So! back to the basic process for me. It works for some but, not for me. As I am getting a couple of 200 Litres ahead in storage for those impromptu trips that tend to happen, I shall use the Pre wash batches as soon as possible.
              Dont alter what works! As I am chuffed with the whole issue, quality fuel ,great price and enviromentally great. I need time for my other life as well. Great group of helpful, frank and honest people, it is a pleasure!
              I am with you HDJ 80, not for me .

Rgds

Dillyman

Comment

Working...
              X