Titration Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titration Results

G'day all, Its been a while since I've logged in. News update I'm now married & Just back from my Honeymoon.
    I'm using cottonseed oil & have been told it tends to hold water how true is this? My Tirations are showing that I need to add 11grams of Pot per liter of wvo, however my test batches (Dr pepper style) the BIO looks clean & ok but when I do the test of adding 3ml of bio to 27ml of methanol I get sediment from the solution, so I re did the test with 13grams of Pot & the results were better almost no sediment in methanol however the methanol looks cloudy. Does this sound close enough for a large batch or should I try another test say using 15grams of Pot per 1 liter of wvo?
    Why are my initial Titration results not accurate?
    Thanks & Regards
    Michael
    Michael David
    Last edited by Michael David; 17 October 2006, 05:35 PM. Reason: Add Signature

Re: Titration Results

Hello Michael

When you say pot do you mean Potassium Hydroxide? That is normally written KOH.
    What was the titration of your oil not including the base amount?
    What did you use in the titrating fluid, NaOH or KOH?
    How much KOH did you use for the base amount per litre WVO?
    What is the purity of your KOH, 90% is very common.

Tilly
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17 October 2006, 06:44 PM.

Comment

G'day Tilly thanks for the quick responce.
      Yes I'm using Potassium Hydroxide KOH & I used KOH in my titrating fluid.
      I'm at work & unfortunatly will be here till late tonight, so I'm going from memory here but I think my base was 7grams & my titration figure was 4. I'm not sure what the purity of my KOH is. Is there anyway of working out its purity?
      Regards Michael
      Michael David
      Last edited by Michael David; 17 October 2006, 07:00 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Hello Michael

The purity will probably be written on the bag it came in.
        I just wish to remind you that if you are making mini-batches using the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend) you do need to shake off and on for an hour at 50deg C

Tilly
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17 October 2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Tilly,
          Yes I used Dr pepper & shook occasionally for 1 hr & maintained 50c as best as possible using hot water in sink & after 1 hr used the 5% wash.
          Then let it settle for 24hrs & tested with 3ml to 27ml methanol. But am thinking maybe I should wash the bio then retry the methanol test.
          Thanks & regards Michael

Comment

Working...
          X