What can we do with glycerine???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can we do with glycerine???

Yes, what can we do with glycerine? The first few batches I made resulted in the glycerol sitting in a few 20 litre buckets which I stored in the proverbial too hard basket!

But, something had to be done with it. I learned it could be melted so I melted it and poured it into a settling tray which I made for the purpose. As soon as the glycerol had solidified, I was able to cut it up into manageable sized cakes, wrap it in newspaper and dispose of it with the household garbage. A few batches later I made and installed a simple condenser which I use to retrieve the methanol from the glycerol. That was all of six months ago and I continue to remove the methanol and pour the remaining glycerine into the settling tray. The system works well for me. Unfortunately, it does not earn me any dollars and cents, but it does get rid of the glycerine in a manageable and safe way.

As you would have already realised, I am using NaOh and intend to continue doing so as I prefer the glycerol to be solid rather than liquid.
    I will attempt to attach a few pictures of this part of my process.

Cheers,
    Spanner
    Spanner
    Last edited by Spanner; 13 August 2006, 11:22 PM.

Comment

HEY Spanner..I think your throwing away good soap, on par with the old Pears, the photos look like it. And considering you prefer Naoh to Koh, i reckon it would be good. People sell home made soap at the markets you know Spanner.
      At our Melbourne club meets a guy comes to do workshops on "how to" make soap from glycerine. Glycerine is the important ingrediant you cant get in regular supermarket soap, that does amazing things for your skin. Try it. I've been useing biodiesel soap for months. Cut up the slabs into soap bar size cakes. TRY it.
      darren leonadas
      Last edited by darren leonadas; 22 August 2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

How do you clarify glycerin from biodiesel? I have made lots of soap and it turns out ok. Makes your skin soft, but cant get it to smell good or look good. Its kinda like washing yourself with a turd. Yah, its a hard sell for others. Of course, I feel good about using it because I made it. However....If I can clarify it, separate the glycerin which is white, no scent from all the yuck then im in business. I currently have 110 gal of glyc. If I can make 4oz bars of glyc soap and sell for 1.5/bar, well, thats like $9,000. Does anyone know how to make this stuff smell good?

Comment

neutrliseing acid compost gave me a great idea.
          i live on 6 acres of very poor sandy soil not far from the barossa,ive often wondered if there was an easy way to improve the soil. its not to hard to get truck loads of grape march [left over skins and seeds] but the stuff turns the soil as acid as can be so ive crossed it off the possible list
          now if i got a few truck loads and then in the summer time left a good number of 20 ltr containers of glyc. in the sun to melt and pour it over the top presto compost heap

Comment

I've accumulated about 1000L of Glycerol, and its starting to take up space.... I think its about time i started the soap thing...

Comment

there are any uses for glycerine, AND is used for making many other chemicals , although many may not be pracitial for the home producer.

there is some info Turning a Glycerin Glut Into Ethanol Helps Biofuel Industry
              http://www.glaconchemie.de/english/start_en.htm

Comment

when things get really tight and big collection companies have musseled us out, i will slowly turn around and smile at my hundreds of ltrs of glyc.......i will then use one part glyc to 4 parts dino and use it as if it was svo
                nothing is rubbish, just depends how you look at it

Comment

your spot on dagwill but most of us are space restricted. That link saying that ethanol can be made from glycerine is pretty cool.
                  trouble is 100litres wvo becomes 100litres of bio and 10litres glycyrine. the gly then becomes 10litres etanol. if we one day run 100% ethanol in petrol engines we will have to have 90 per cent of our vehicles as diesels. Poor holden and ford i guess you might have to lift your game. no 6 litre v8s in the future.
                  good on ya rudolf you were a real thinker
                  Cheers
                  Nick.
                  Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                  sigpic

Comment

I wash my kitchen dishes in glycerine,and it is fantastic as long as you have a double sink for rinsing, the wife is'nt too keen on it and I think she's influenced by the grotty oil I sometimes use. I dont understand it because she gets dermatitis from regular dish-washing liq. so she wears rubber gloves and slops water all over the place, the glycerine is good for your hands too, they come out clean and fress as a babys bum.

Comment

i haven't tried the dishes i must give that a go. but my work overalls are great now they have had the goo treatment before laundering.
                      I even mixed some with some water to clean the oil and crudd out of my ute (I had a WVO drum lid come off) It worked so well i did the rest of the ute in it.
                      Does anybody know would this water and glycerol mix hurt the enviro much if it went down the drain??
                      maybe we could make a car wash by product and sell it to oil collectors to wash their vehicles with.
                      I'm sure their trucks would attract the dust like no tommorrow with all the sticky fat residues.
                      Cheers
                      Nick.
                      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                      sigpic

Comment

I also wash any thing in the w/machine that I wouldnt clasify as frillies of female kind ( gets pissed off) As far as I know if you use Potassium Hyd. in your reaction there is 'nt any inviro problems, Sodium Hyd. is a different issue. What I still have over I use as a fertilizer on my trees in my plantations. I an unaware of any methanol problems in the glycerine and I understood if the titration is right it should all be consumed in the reaction

Comment

i use sodum hydroxide (caustic soda) so i guess that could be a no draino
                          Cheers
                          Nick.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trevor w View Post
                            I wash my kitchen dishes in glycerine,and it is fantastic as long as you have a double sink for rinsing, the wife is'nt too keen on it and I think she's influenced by the grotty oil I sometimes use.
                            He he! I have made up some liquid soap which I keep by the kitchen sink for hand washing, but the missus refuses to use it because it's black and comes from WVO! But it cleans my hands beautifully, even if it doesn't smell quite as fresh as normal soap!

What I still have over I use as a fertilizer on my trees in my plantations. I an unaware of any methanol problems in the glycerine and I understood if the titration is right it should all be consumed in the reaction
                            You have to be careful of the methanol left in the glycerin unless you've boiled/evaporated it out. I accidentally killed the wife's prize lemon tree after dumping glycerin on the nearby compost heap. Since then I use it to kill weeds on the driveway - works great!
                            Sean

Comment

Trevor, yes I get the same female responses but on your methanol observation your not on the money, sorry.

Making biodiesel uses twice as much methanol as is consumed to make the fuel, that means half of what you put in somes out in the byproduct layer (I am loath to call it glycerine as its a lot more than that). This is why methanol recovery can be used and some say to boil or let it evaporate away. Google Stoichiometric ratios like air/fuel ratio it will help.

Matt

Originally posted by trevor w View Post
                              I also wash any thing in the w/machine that I wouldnt clasify as frillies of female kind ( gets pissed off) As far as I know if you use Potassium Hyd. in your reaction there is 'nt any inviro problems, Sodium Hyd. is a different issue. What I still have over I use as a fertilizer on my trees in my plantations. I an unaware of any methanol problems in the glycerine and I understood if the titration is right it should all be consumed in the reaction
                              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~bhe/pdfs/asabe066223.pdf has some ideas about the utilization of glycerol. how practical iy is for the home prodcuder i have no idea ,,,, sorry for the spelling and grammer ,,, bit tyied and pissed at the mo

Comment

Working...
                                X