Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenolphthalein powder

Hi
    Anyone purchased phenolphthalein powder from an national chemical company ?? or a company that will post

Can't find any locally

Stuart

Re: Phenolphthalein powder

I am a convert th the cheap and cheerful TUMERIC as an indicator solution. Shown to me by the Professor of Uni of WA (forgotten his name,frequents this site) who came over east to show a titration workshop to a meeting of the club back in 2005.
    Go to your local supermarket or Asian grocer and get a small jar or bag of TUMERIC. About 100 grms. Yes the spice used in Indian cooking. Pour the whole contents into a 1 litre bottle of Methylated spirits and wait for the tumeric to infuse into the meth.
    The meth will turn a typical yellow colour like the colour of your Butter chicken from the local Indian restaurant. Use the solution as an indicator solution just as you would Phenalpthaline. The indication is when the yellow tumeric in solution turns a "Vindaloo" RED colour. REALLY it turns a definate red. Be sure to use only the coloured meth with out any powder in it. I usually just pipette from the top of the bottle as the powder settles to the bottom of the bottle, however the Prof. suggested filtering through a coffee filter paper to remove the powder.
    try it, if you cant get the expensive Phenolphthalein.

Comment

i have never seen powdered phelphlene only ever liquid.
      You can also use 'phenol red' available from pool shops and places that sell pool stuff. heaps cheaper and works with the same method.
      Hope this helps
      Cheers Nick.
      Cheers
      Nick.
      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamLaming
        ..... add a 1/2 teaspoon of phenolphthalein powder per 100 litres batch and allow to mix thoroughly. You'll need a sight tube to view the mixture. A narrow clear branched tube, off the outlet of the pump is safest - you want to be able to instantly see the colour change, so the tube must carry some of the pump outlet flow thru it.
        Thanks chaps

I'm keen to give the Graham Laming's method a run

Stuart

Comment

If Graham said it I'm sure it'll work a treat. Good luck finding it
          Cheers
          Nick.
          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
          sigpic

Comment

Phenolphthalein degrades rapidlywith age (unlike Tumeric which is good for many years).

To make your Curcurmin indicator ( Tumeric) steep Tumeric in alcohol overnight and then filter to solids from the alcohol.
            Be aware that this is a strong dye and will affect clothing and many natural materials to adopt the colour of the indicator.

Depending on the strength of the solution you may need one or more drops of indicator in your titration. Expiremt to determine the correct amount of your solution to use to indicate the titration end point.

Best wishes,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Why not titrate the easy way.
              Drop 10 - 15ml metho into a glass.
              Drop in Tumeric powder. About a pin head size amount.
              Swerl around.
              Blank as usual.
              Add oil as usual.
              Titrate as usual.

All too easy and simple. No need for iso, or containers of indicator.

Here's a tutorial on the subject for your reading pleasure.

Comment

may be i am lucky i just get the chemist at work to mix me up 250ml whenever needed i know they do get it in powder and mix with ethanol and small amount of water. If i am careless enough to ingest any it gives you the runs.
                i used to make my koh titration solution with water but now make it with 1 liter of methylated spirit as it is much easier to see the exact end point more red/purple unlike the strawberry colour you get with water.
                sounds like the tumeric is as good if not better, i could find out who supplier is at work if you really want regards andy

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
                  Why not titrate the easy way.
                  Drop 10 - 15ml metho into a glass.
                  Drop in Tumeric powder. About a pin head size amount.
                  Swerl around.
                  Blank as usual.
                  Add oil as usual.
                  Titrate as usual.

All too easy and simple. No need for iso, or containers of indicator.

Here's a tutorial on the subject for your reading pleasure.
                  Here's an even simpler version using Turmeric. I have found it is easily repeatable (ie. to get the same number twice) and have never had a failure with it
                  http://www.biofuelsforum.com/making_...ice_shelf.html
                  Johnnojack
                  4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                  Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X