Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's built a biodiesel processor/reactor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's built a biodiesel processor/reactor?

Darren
    The Red pump to the left (Riva Flow) pumps from the bottom of the processor up via the "sight tube" across and splashes down to the top of the processor. The sight tube will be replaced with black pipe and a glass in the future.
    You can get similar pumps on ebay for $60 to $80 dollars.

This system is completely fumeless and not open to the atmosphere at all during the processing stage. Mixing time is 2hrs 30mins per 100litres and settling time of no less than 8hrs b4 moving to wash tank.

Because I use NaOH as the catalyst I drain the glycerol about 1 hr after settling has begun and again a few times until I have drained as much as possible, using KOH the glycerol stays liquid and you would only need to drain off at the end of the settling period. I just cannot get my hands on some KOH at this time otherwise that would be my preferred catalyst. Otherwise you could always reheat the processor to liquefy the glycerol after settling, but I have not tried this to date as convection may mix things up again
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

Hi Hdj80,
      So you achieve agitation by pumping from bottom to top then splashing from top, OK, It obviously works.
      Well Done , Keep looking for KoH though. Most people are of the opinion KOH is a more predictable reaction, and its easier to get into solution in the meth.
      i've saved the photos of your plant for reference, as i recently found a hot water tank on the side of the road in hard rubbish.
      Cheers Darren.

Comment

Darren,
        I have a choice methoxide setup that is also worth a look. I'll post a pic when I can find them or take a couple more.
        Basically I purchased a 25litre Beer Fermenter drum (If you can, get a 30litre job) and fabricated a pickup out of conduit so when I suck in the methoxide the drum sits still and the methoxide is sucked from the very bottom of the drum, in fact it sucks this setup dry of methoxide.
        Mixing it is easy as I use "The simple way to Mix Methoxide" per 100litres wvo 22litre methanol in the fermenter plus 500grams NaOH+titration and then swirl it occassionally until it is mixed. It takes the time it takes to heat the 100litres in the Hot water Cylinder and then I just turn off the heat and plug it in turn my tap to gradually let it get sucked in. Easy..no splashing or pouring, stand back and watch it happen.
        I'll even get a pic of it connected up. Actually I am picking up some methanol today so I will be making some bio soon so I'll take some photo's of the process.
        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
        Canberra

Comment

Well as promised a couple more photo's of the thing at work.

By the title of the pics you should get the drift.
          HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
          Canberra

Comment

And some more of the equipment I use and have put together from pure problem solving using matterals that I either had on hand or could get easily.
            - 'KP's Methoxide Fermenter' is a 25 litre beer fermenter with conduit glue and shaped up so methoxide is picked up from the bottom of the container. Works a bloody treat.
            - 'KP's Storage Tank' uses compressed air to move the bio up through the filter and to the fuel tank.
            - 'KP's Wastepaper Basket Pre Filter' is used as a rough pre filter to get out the big bits. The pipe behind is a chimney to allow heat from the gas burners below to travel up through the oil. The burners have not being used yet but I expect to use them in winter and if I ever get wet wvo 'touch wood'.
            hdj80
            Last edited by hdj80; 16 January 2006, 09:31 AM.
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

Originally posted by hdj80

Because I use NaOH as the catalyst I drain the glycerol about 1 hr after settling has begun and again a few times until I have drained as much as possible, using KOH the glycerol stays liquid and you would only need to drain off at the end of the settling period. I just cannot get my hands on some KOH at this time otherwise that would be my preferred catalyst.
              Bummer, have you tried Pool suppliers in your area. You might consider a trip to sydney and stock up.
              Joe Morgan
              Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
              http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
              SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Pool Suppliers???? Why do they stock KOH
                KP
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

Yep, I buy my KOH from a pool chemical & cleaning product shop, see my post under Biodiesel Supplies, at:
                  http://www.biofuelsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2

Cleaning products and pool supplies manufacturers use KOH as one of their ingredients.

Comment

Hi all, I'm new to the site but have been making Bio now for about 3 years. Running 100B in a 1990 Nissan patrol LWB. I'm impressed by all your professional looking processing units. Has anyone worked out your total costs of making your fuel. IE: power, gas, meth, lye?
                    My set up is very stone age compared to yours and requires some manual handling but I have worked out my costs @ 21 cents a litre. Just interested in how that stacks up with yours. Hoping to keep in touch and follow your continued system set ups.

Tatey
                    Tatey:D

Comment

Hi, hj80
                      I was just looking at the photos of your reactor and noticed the thermometer. What is the brand and where did you get it etc.. Looks like just what I need.
                      Your setup looks well planned, I'm building an appleseed type reactor on a tank I have made. Will put up photos when I get closer to finishing.Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bj4408
                        Hi, hj80
                        I was just looking at the photos of your reactor and noticed the thermometer. What is the brand and where did you get it etc.. Looks like just what I need.
                        Your setup looks well planned, I'm building an appleseed type reactor on a tank I have made. Will put up photos when I get closer to finishing.Thanks.

bj4408
                        See http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/index.php this is a good start in fact I used this sites calculator only today as I am in the process of making some more bio and for the Thermometer go to http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/ Graydon will send it out np I got mine in a week. approx $AU34.00 http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/thermometer.php

HDJ80
                        Canberra
                        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                        Canberra

Comment

I've just processed my first batch of 50 litres WVO in my new processor . Made from 2 stainless steel barrels welded together to give total capacity 90 litres and should allow me to do 65 - 70 litres of WVO. The plumbing is basically an appleseed layout, with pump mounted vertically and bottom drainage of tank from its dish shaped end.
                          I salvaged a thermostat from a cafe-bar and wired it to the 2400w heater element , just need to get a thermometer(took oil samples and measured the temp. of these for first batch).
                          I use a 5% prewash 1 hour after processing.
                          Let settle overnight.
                          I drained off glycerine then pumped oil to plastic wash drum. It has a bottom drain and a side drain (instead of a stand pipe). Add water and stir with drill mounted paint stirrer. Thanks to the forum for info on 5% prewash, makes life so easy.
                          After washing I will store fuel in a drum in the sun to settle and then filter when putting in my vehicle.
                          I'm trying to stockpile my WVO in 2 x 44 gallon drums, , so the muck settles and pump oil from the top 2/3, let one settle while I use the other. Seems to have worked. My WVO is pretty good titrating at less than 1ml using NaOH.
                          I can see a bit of fine tuning needed but basically its working. Thanks to everyone on this and JTF forums for getting me going, especially Tilly's Dr Pepper method and the 5% prewash info.

Comment

It Works !! A simple and cheap reactor made from recycled machinery. (an old twin tub found on the side of the road for hard rubbish)
                            OK so it only reacts 50 lt a batch, and i have to wash in my storage tank (recycled oil heater fuel tank) . Go here to see.
                            Total cost $18.00 in plumbing gear.
                            I settle in 25 lt. plastic drums, then decant and wash in the storage tank, which has two outlets , one slightly elevated for the BD, the other on the bottom for the grey water.
                            My wash water is atomized by using a $2 shop spray nozzle with "mist function".
                            Too Easy..
                            Its not big enough to work as the collectively owned club reactor but it'll do me 'till the club gets enough capital together to build our collective reactor.

Comment

Hi Darren

I thought that the Centrifugal Spin Cycle would work as a filter system, just wondering what you are using as the filter element, someone here said that screen printing silk stitched into a bag and placed inside the spinner, 120 threads per inch or something like that would work, do you load all the oil in at once or just let it get up to speed and then start pumping the oil in ??

The Fat Man

Comment

Thermometer probe

For all those building a processor, here is a supplier of those hard to find probe type temperature gauges with a 1/2" BSP thread fitting.

http://www.mashmaster.com.au/

It's increments range from 0-100C, perfect for BD, and markings are for home brew beer making - but what the heck. Price is $35 + postage.
                                geewizztoo
                                Last edited by geewizztoo; 1 June 2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X