Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elements The end of a saga?

Originally posted by Dodge
    They both look good, so how much are they.
    Hi there All
    Well according to the manufacturer they should both be under the $200.00 mark GST inclusive
    He did tell me that there was not much difference in cost between the mechanical or the electronic T/stat so I suggested that he give us both so as to get some feedback
    I will certainly have a talk to him Monday and firm this up
    I will also post up addresses as availability will be all round Australia
    Regardless if any one wishes to buy they will be available from the Melbourne Biodiesel Club
    By the way I have a Sheet metal guy knocking up some conical bottoms for 44 as well as 20 Gallon drums for people to weld on the bottom of them so the can turn them into reactors
    They will come with a cross fitting of 1.5" or 2" and a ball valve at the bottom with the other two outlets on the cross plugged up with bungs
    You can then screw on your pump for recirculation in one of them and your Meoh injector in the other by using the right size reducer
    It may make life easier for all of the home brewers who are always scratching around looking for bits
    They will also be available from the Melb chapter

Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

Again
      I thought of asking our Cybor guru Robert for a specific section on this site for equipment and supplies with all the details there
      New members can then be directed there instead of seeking information as well as asking the same questions from all the old hands
      May be if we allow suppliers to have a post there after a certain due diligence by us and performance by them they may be prepared to contribute something towards the running of this site
      Any thoughts on that Fellows?
      Cheers
      Chris
      Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Chris sounds like a grand idea But I would say that the approach for listing needs to come not from the company but from a regular that has used the product or shared the prduct/service info around and a few members can speak for it.

That way we get a user's point of view and not a sales pitch.

Have seen some spam sales pitch'es round here of recent times and they just get blown away without thought so if it had little to do with the company we would likely get a none biased opinion in the begining and could move on from there.

Ok I have another question for you.

The Conical bottoms for the 44's what sort of pricing are they going for? I have afound an enginering firm in Sydney that will make them but they want a small fortune for them so I was wondering what you guys could get them done for in melb? Could well be cheaper who knows.
        Dave

Comment

Again?
          Well That is a fair question
          Since I am not doing this for a profit I am trying to keep the cost to the absolute minimum
          I anticipate that it will be less than $200.00 each including fittings as well as a spot where the element can go into
          I am looking into another issue as well
          I am trying to get a metal spinner to roll a lip around the edge of the cone
          The idea being that you use an open top drum, the ones with a clamp to keep the lid on, place a good bead of silicon all round and then one can slip it on the rounded bit that is already on the drum
          Place the clamp back on again
          The top of the drum then becomes the bottom
          By just drilling a couple of holes up the other end, the original bottom of the drum so you can circulate the oil you just about there
          Keep in mind that there is a spot to inject the methoxide down at the bottom on the cross shape fitting
          It will most likely come with a good set of legs as well, screw on ones so the cost of transport can be kept down
          Good to avoid welding as a lot out there cannot weld or don't want to
          One can get a lot of the head aches out of it without running around getting nowhere
          We will see how that will go However the weld on ones should be available shortly picture etc will go up for all to see
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Re: Elements

Any update of availability of the thermostatically controlled heating element?

Comment

Hi all
              I have asked the manufacturer to give the elements a name as well as a code so one can order from any electrical wholesaler
              I have also asked them to post up a list of his distributors Aus wide
              Yes they are available right now from Grimwood in Sydney but they only deal through distributors
              I expect a list of them to be posted up here any day now
              Ordering from a distributor will be easier for any one out there as they will be available all over this big country of ours
              Cheers
              Chris
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Blatant Commercial Plug!

Grimwood Heating Pty Ltd has joined the forum.

We have available our low cost biodiesel heater kit BDK2 for $250+GST, which comprises a 2.4kW 1 1/4IN BSP screw in element, electronic thermostat and enclosure. This requires a 1 1/4IN nozzle to be welded to the side of the container to take the element.

They can be ordered from any MMEM branch (Haymans, TLE, AWM, D&W).

Any problems let me know...

Brian

Comment

Hi Brian thanks for the info, the kit you mention is it the one with the digital thermostat that can be mounted in a seperate place and what is the adjustable range of the thermostat, and you mention a nozzle needs to be welded to the drum for the element, is the nozzle included with the kit.

Chris thankyou for your efforts well done.

Comment

I have not included the 1-1/4IN BSP nozzle, you can get that from any plumbers merchant. I have also not included the things your Licensed Electrical Contractor will have when he connects it for you (such as service cord, cable glands, terminal strip and the cable to go between the control and the element).

The maximum set point of the control is 99C (it is a two digit display).
                    The tripping differential is adjustable between 1 and 30 degrees.

BDK3 is available with 3 digit display, maximum set point 302C, tripping differential 0.1 to 30.0 degrees. That's an extra $10 (+GST)

Comment

Working...
                    X