frytol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: frytol

I use koh these days but the naoh i got was from coles supermarket its called Cuastic soda 99% pure and in small print its is made by recochem in Q.L.D.
    But the main label just has the name caustic soda.
    A blue 500gram container.
    Yes the picture is biodiesel made from frytol.

Comment

I just did a Dr Pepper test batch of Frytol type oil this afternoon, I have never used frytol before. It was used oil, it titrated at .25ml, I used 20% meth(200ml) and 9g KOH(8g Base and rounded up the .25g up to 1g). Good reaction instantly, well the solution thickened then thinned again, separation occured in less than 5mins and nearly 100% in less than an hour, nearly crystal clear at the top of the bottle already.
      So far so good, but it looks promising, I have been given an additional 3 unopened drums of this stuff to make fuel with, should have those done by the end of the week should this test batch wash and dry ok.
      Akazia
      Last edited by Akazia; 17 September 2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to eliminate water from the equation? Does heating oil to 120 for a couple of minutes remove it? How do you test/remove it from meth or lye?

Comment

How long you have to heat the grease depends on how much water is in it. I had some frytol that I boiled vigrously for over an hour before all the water was driven off. If you boil it, make sure you do it in an open top container so the steam can escape easily and not recondense and drop back into the oil like will happen if you try to boil it in a normal screw top tin like liquid oil comes in.

When all the water is out the oil will stop boiling. I heated mine till it was smoking and then let it cool. Didn't have any problems converting it so I guess at least enough of the water was out although there was a very fine layer of soap in the test batch.

To get the water out of the lye you could heat it like in an oven on a flat tray at say 120oC for maybe half an hour to drive the water off that way.
          Don't know if it is a good thing to do in an oven you want to cook food in later but the principle is gentle even heat.

I'm not sure about getting the water out of the meth, I think it is more like getting the meth out of the water but others may know a way to do it.

I take it you are still having no luck with converting your Frytol?

Comment

heated a batch to 190 degrees, no spitting, used fresh methanol and lye. Mixed at 55 degrees, 3 minutes to solid goop. Had enough of this game now, no-one seems to have any idea other than to guess "use a bit more of ..., or maybe less"
            Anyone want 19 litres methanol and couple of hundred of Frytol?

Comment

Hello spud

It is very hard to diagnose your problem without knowing what the titration of the oil is.

Tilly
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 23 September 2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Spud,
                The WA Renewable Fuels Association meeting should be on 1/10/06, look up Perth Biodiesel-WA Renewable Fuels Association Inc.
                I live in country WA and will be in Perth mid week if you PM me your phone number I can take a look if you like.
                Cheers
                Maxwell

Comment

Originally posted by spud
                  heated a batch to 190 degrees, no spitting, used fresh methanol and lye. Mixed at 55 degrees, 3 minutes to solid goop. Had enough of this game now, no-one seems to have any idea other than to guess "use a bit more of ..., or maybe less"
                  Anyone want 19 litres methanol and couple of hundred of Frytol?
                  Hi Spud
                  Looks like you have spat your dummy "No one seems to have any idea or knows" its not fair to people that are genuine in their attempts to help you
                  You are not the first or the last to have failures It is not that hard but it is a process that demands accuracy
                  The titration of the oil is most important so as to get it right
                  It seems that you have used more "lye" than necessary from what I can read
                  Don't give up man, you will get there, perseverance is what you want and are looking for at the moment
                  It is obvious that all of us here are quite willing to help and believe me you will get there
                  Edison had about 980 attempts to make the light globe When asked at an interview by a journo how he had failed over 979 times he responded "I have learned of 979 ways of how not to make a light bulb"
                  There it is, we still use the thing today more than 100 years later as it was invented
                  So you have now learned of one way of how not to make biodiesel if you remember exactly what you have done I am sure you will not repeat it
                  So hang in there mate you will be right
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Never give up :)

Comment

Originally posted by Maxwell
                    Hi Spud,
                    The WA Renewable Fuels Association meeting should be on 1/10/06, look up Perth Biodiesel-WA Renewable Fuels Association Inc.
                    I live in country WA and will be in Perth mid week if you PM me your phone number I can take a look if you like.
                    Cheers
                    Maxwell
                    A quick correction, due to the ublic Holiday on 2/10/06, the WARFA meeting will be held on the 8th October. Contact me on 0428 920 881 for venue and time details.
                    Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

sorry, didnt mean to give the impression of a dummyspit at anyone! only at me! my apologies! I know people here are giving advice for no gain for themselves.
                      Regarding the lye, base amount is 5 grams, which I have tried for identicle result. Is it possible to require less than 5 grams? My impression has been that it is the minumum amount to convert 1 litre of clean oil with no FFA's? Thats the funny thing, that there has been no variation in the result, just sludge. Now Im fairly confident that I have eliminated water, at least in sofar as I have cooked the oil, and replaced the methanol and lye at least. Today I will try some clean canola again to test the methoxide though.
                      Is there any other possible reasons, such as pH etc of the feedstock?
                      I dont suppose there is anyone on here living in the Midwest who could maybe have a go at a sample?

Comment

Working...
                      X