Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From WVO

Hello chris

When you say two stage, do you mean Acid/Base or Bass/Base?
    When you say 1 Atmosphere, do you mean Unpressurised? Our everyday life is conducted at 1 Atmosphere ( 101,325 Pa) or do you mean 2 Atmospheres?

You said:
    However it will give you biodiesel that does not need to be washed
    I would have thought that this would have to be an advantage

Many people do not wash their biodiesel. I am not sure whether it is an advantage or not.

You said:
    "I am not intending to go into the ins and out's of this as I am not in a position of sufficient knowledge to do so"
    I believe that.

You said:
    "Suffice to say that most commercial biodiesel producers do have a pressurised conversion process"
    I believe that.
    Pressurization speeds the process. However, pressurization for the average home brewer (This is a forum about home production of biodiesel after all) adds extra complexity and a certain amount of increased danger. Most of us are not commercial procducers and probably do not require the reaction to be finished in 5 minutes.

You said:
    and they (Commercial Biodiesel Producers) do not use wash,
    I do not believe that.

You said:
    neither do we
    If you say so.

Tilly

Comment

Hi Tilly
      Any comments on my "titration" speil?
      Cheers
      Chris
      Never give up :)

Comment

Hello Chris

This explanation leaves no room for misunderstanding

Titration

"The process, operation, or method of determining the concentration of a substance in solution by adding to it a standard reagent of known concentration in carefully measured amounts until a reaction of definite and known proportion is completed, as shown by a color change or by electrical measurement, and then calculating the unknown concentration."

Tilly

Comment

So if you do the reaction using pressure, and dont need to wash is that because you can use less caustic or is it more complicated than that.

I hate washing it sends me nuts, but that something i will have to live with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
            So if you do the reaction using pressure, and dont need to wash is that because you can use less caustic or is it more complicated than that.

I hate washing it sends me nuts, but that something i will have to live with.
            Hi Dodge
            Look Do you self a favour and read the titration bit that I posted earlier
            If that does not expalin the reason why you use caustic or lye or N than I must say I did it in vain or I have used language that is not understood
            Tilly also made a contribution on the difinition of titration which leaves no doubt as to what it does
            The simple answer is you use what is necessary No more No less full stop
            But it is better that you understand the reason therefore the comment above
            Besides you are the only one that can do that by reading the post so it is abunduntly clear in your head
            Once is there believe me there will be no need to question the point ever again
            Cheers
            Chris
            Never give up :)

Comment

Hello Dodge

Let me clear this up for you.
              THE ONLY THING INCREASING THE TEMPERATURE OF THE REACTION DOES FOR THE TYPICAL BACKYARD PRODUCER IS MAKE THE REACTION OCCURE FASTER!
              THERE IS NO OTHER BENEFIT!!!

At abouy 70deg C the methanol will start to boil at 1 atmosphere pressure in the reaction. To keep the methanol from boiling at temperatures HIGHER THAN ABOUT 70Deg C the reactor needs to be pressurized.

However, if you can achieve 100 bar pressure (1,450 psi) and 350 degrees celcius in your reactor, I understand the reaction can be performed with no NaOH/KOH

Tilly
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 4 October 2006, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tilly and Chris, i wonder what the pressure rating is for those household gas bottles or car gas tanks, but i suppose 350 degrees celsius and 1450 psi would need a fair bit of energy, and you wouldnt want it to start leaking in a suburban backyard, neigbours might get annoyed.

Comment

1450 psi and 350deg C in a water heater

Comment

Working...
                  X