Smoke on start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke on start-up

hi chippmobile i fitted a new set of glow plugs aprox ioo,ooo ks ago when i started useing veg oil [prob 4 yrs] i reccon i replaced 2 or maybe 3 glowplugs up untill the start of last winter when i added the override button and ive replaced one more glow plug since then. So id say no i dont reccon it does much to shorten plug life. It certainly would not start on frosty mornings without the override. Even double glow cycles didnt work anywhere near as well. If you add one use a push button so you cant accidentally leave it on, and i advise useing a realay set up so high current has a shorter distance to go Good luck

Comment

Thanks Dagwill i will defenetly do that i already have the spring return switch and will get a relay soon.

Comment

had the same problem with a hj60 yoto that was related to glow plug relay failure on the 60 there is two relays one sends power to the plugs at 12volt for x amount of time depending on engine temp then steps down to 6 volts for the remainder of the glow cycle, there fairly easy to diagnose with a multimeter and workshop manual to test your glow plugs remove the bridging strap and check for continuity at each plug no continuity= dead plug. to time the inline pump you need an old fuel line cut down to a specific length fitted to the pump( no one delivery nozzle) loosen pump set at tdc then rock crank back and forth till fuel spills out of line at correct degrees. sounds preety simple but it can be a pain. you can also incrase decrease the fuel delivery amount at the rear of the pump by screwing the queer looking nut there in out

Comment

shayne,good info espeasially on the pump timing. i would be eager to hear more my hj60 is just nudging 1/2 million ks, the IP never touched so its stuff like this that i feel i would be wise to learn THANKS

Comment

dagwill best thing to have is a workshop manual all these procedures are shown in great detail the factory one is best if you can get your hands on one but the other types eg gregorys etc are pretty good if you know your way around a petrol engine then you shouldnt have too many problems with an oil burner, diesels arnt as scary as people would have you believe just think of your injection pump as a carby. im not surprised to see half a mill klms on a 2h there pretty bullet proof if you keep fresh oil and filters up to them. I put nearly 20,000 ks on a 2h with 5 cylinders and hardly felt the difference the bloke i bought it off had a different dipstick in it with a temp probe on it and cut down the tube to make it fit when the probe failed he stuck a stock dipstick in it and knew where to fill it to only problem was he forgot to tell me so first oil change it read full with only 6 liters of oil in it when i finally stripped it down all the rings fell off number 5 piston and the bore was shot managed to score a good block from a bloke who thought his oil pump was gone but it was the pressure relief valve stuck in its bore so for a couple of cartons set of rings and a gasket set i was back in buisness with a fresh motor

Comment

My 89 Hilux started blowing a puff of white smoke on start every now and again. this doesn't affect the running in any way - just one big cloud of white smoke. my local diesel mechanic (BD-friendly) thinks it is just a sticky injector that occasionally dribbles a bit of fuel into one pot when I turn off. It only happens sometimes which seems to agree with his theory. I'll know for sure when I do the injectors.
              Lucas

Comment

Hi all,
                About 1 month ago purchased an 80 series 1hd-t cruiser and it started fine on dino diesel but when I put bio in it! Holy bat screens Batman!! did it smoke or what! Big clouds of white smoke. Very embarrassing!
                When I bought the car the guy showed me a receipt for the pump and injectors that was not very old so I was surprised.
                I booked it into my mechanic and he was booked up for 1 month so that gave me plenty of time to have a fiddle and see if I could find the problem. After remembering this thread I went straight for the glow plugs and found the fusable link to them had been blown. Great I thought, that was easy. Went right through them, removed and checked every one, fixed the link, test light etc etc. Next morning, just as much smoke. (1hdts dont need glow apparently)
                Went back to dino, no smoke! back to bio, lotsa smoke. I Had a fiddle with the fuel screw, up a 1/4, down a 1/4 no change, a month of stuffing around with no results.
                Anyway, finally got to the mechanics the other day and he spent the entire day on it giving it the full monty which included checking the pump timing. It was set to 1HZ specs that are quite a bit different from 1HDT specs, although very similar engines/pumps except turbo. Admittedly he did a few other things like tappets/shims adjustment, fuel filter, minor other adjustment to fuel, idle/aircon idle that could effect fuel, but the main one was the pump timing.
                Guess what? No smoke in the mornings anymore.
                I suppose this shows that biodiesel was not the cause, it was infact sloppy workmanship/bad communication when the pump was done. But it does show that biodiesel is a little fussy with these kind of settings than dino. The mechanic did show me the specs in the book but I cant remember if it was more advanced or retarded.
                Anyway, it was mentioned earlier in this thread about pump timing but the discussion didn't follow those posts so I'd thought I'd put this info here to confirm incase someone else has this problem.
                Happy BioDieseling to you all!

Chris (much happier motorist now)
                96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
                93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
                90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
                Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Working...
                X