Merc 240D 4sale / Ideas on using biod. in E300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 240D 4sale / Ideas on using biod. in E300

My'76 Merc 240D is for sale $3900 - rebuilt motor 30,000 km only plus heaps more - Have been using biodiesel from Waringah Rd servo. quite okay. (The daughter couldn't bring herself to driving the grand old lady.)
    Look here if interested.... http://www.carsales.com.au

Now what do I do with the E300 to make sure it will be okay. Is it just a matter of keeping an eye on the fuel filter or should I drain and clean the tank. It is a '93 so it may have some rubbish in the tank. I don't want to take any risks with the substantial investment. Comments..?
    NeilM

Re: Merc 240D 4sale / Ideas on using biod. in E300

Pardon me, but isn't the E300 a petrol engined car?
    Please enlighten me.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Neil, Is the bio from Warringah Rd 100 % do you know?, and which servo is it? Thanks very much
      300D

Comment

The E300 is a '93 6 cylinder 3 litre diesel - double OHC

The servo on Waringah Rd that sells biodiesel is the one that is on the right going south to Chatswood before the Roseville Bridge. It is one of the 'no name' brands - I can't remember the name but the garage is the last on the right before the bridge. The diesel pump is out on its own at the front corner of the servo. I have been there and it has not been working, but it has a small sticker on it that says it is 'biodiesel' - a part of John Howards timid Australia taking a small steps towards sustainable energy with small doses of honesty - you don't have to declare that it is biodiesel - pardon my frankness...

The 240D is going cheap $3900 !!! with August 2007 rego....

Comment

I don't think it is 100% biodiesel...

Comment

240D has been sold. Anyone got any comments on running the E300 on biodiesel ?

Comment

Neil,
              1. Buy some (5 or 10) cheap plastic inline fuel filters (<$2.00 each)
              2. Fit one to the fuel supply line, in an accessible location before the fuel pump.
              3. Put the other filters in the boot with tools to change them
              4. Obtain some quality biodiesel.
              5. Pour it in the tank.
              6. If inline filter clogs, stop and swap it for a clean one.
              7. Repeat until tyou need more filters or until the filters stop clogging.

Be sure to look at all hoses during regualr servicing as hose failure can be catrastrophic. (Brake, Coolant, oil, vacuum and fuel)
              Tony From West Oz
              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 8 November 2006, 01:18 AM.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi All
                Just a tip for any one who has issues with "dino gunk" in their tanks wanting to go B100
                The commercial refrigeration industry commonly uses Toilet roll filters
                They comprise of a canister with a removable lid that takes a roll of common toilet paper
                They come with inlet and outlet fittings as well as a removable lid so one can replace the paper roll
                They are used when a sealed compressor, usually in a commercial installation, has gone all "soft" and filled up the system with rubbish from the cooked windings or whatever else disintegrated finding it's way into the sustems piping which plays havoc with the TX valve, and generally sets up the system for another failure in the future
                One can certainly use on of these devices to clean up their tank
                The toilet paper roll has a much greater surface area to hold back gunk as well as solid particle matter than the small cartridge filters which work very well any way
                If you have a lot of "gunk" in there it will take a while for the system to clean up
                And, no name "John Wayne" (Rough Tuff and take no S..t from Indians) toilet paper rolls are very cheap it takes about 1 minute to change the roll
                It took about 12 rolls to clean up the tank on the 4100 Ford truck of mine tank is about 60 L capacity, but it has done over 1/2 a mill K on dino
                It is amazing the amount of crap the rolls collected
                Always have a few in the cab
                They also serve a dual purpose, if you are out in the bush and in need of a nature call the cartridge type filter is of no value at all
                They are available from commercial refrigeration supply stores or the local "fridgie" could organise you one
                Just a thought
                Cheers
                Chris
                Never give up :)

Comment

Hi all,
                  Chris,
                  I made a toilet roll fuel filter out of 100mm PVC pipe sockets and caps, at the moment I have it in the shed full of Dino diesel just to see how it goes, here are the fittings I used,

1. Two 100mm PVC sockets and threaded caps, sockets cut to the length of 2 toilet rolls
                  2. Short piece 100mm PVC pipe to connect the sockets
                  3. 40mm PVC pipe flange
                  4. Piece 40mm PVC pipe (slightly shorter than internal length of 100mm sockets) glued the pipe into the flange and
                  glued the flange on to the inside of the top threaded cap.
                  5. Two 3/8in barbed fittings tapped into top cap and one hex nipple and 3/8in ball valve tapped into the bottom
                  threaded cap

I just unwrapped about ten rolls off the toilet paper to fit it inside the 100mm pipe, slid them in through the bottom and tightened the caps.

I wasn't hard to make. If I knew how to post a Photo I would but when I last tried I think my photo was to big and I didn't know how to reduce it.
                  If some one could explain how I will give a go although the outside is just PVC pipe.

Regards
                  John H
                  Last edited by John H; 8 November 2006, 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Good on You J H
                    That is a good idea
                    If you take a photo leave it in the desktop then go to MS photo editor you can then resize it you can then posted up There are other ways of doing it I am sure but that is the way I do it
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    Never give up :)

Comment

Hi all,
                      Thanks Chris I will give a go, my computer skills aren't goood though.

Regards
                      John H

Comment

Hi,
                        John H. Im keen to see a pic or even 2. If you cant get it on here you can email it to me I will resize it and either send it back to you or post it up if that helps.
                        Ill send you a Private message via email then you will have my email.
                        Chris (Jasper)
                        96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
                        93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
                        90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
                        Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Hi All,
                          Thanks Jasper,
                          One Photo on its way I think, If I work our how I did that one I will send the other.
                          My computer skills aren't great.

Regards
                          John H

Comment

Heres the photos.
                            Chris
                            96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
                            93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
                            90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
                            Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

John H
                              Thanks for the filter idea.
                              Just checking some points on the construction and how it works.
                              1. Does it rely on clamping the toilet rolls tightly as you screw up the caps, therefore sealing the filter element ends.
                              2. Do you remove the cardboard tube?
                              3.How much shorter is the 40mm pipe?
                              4. Do you use 2 inlets to just even out the flow through the filter.
                              I think I could use one between my washtank and storage drum. Need a project to work on as well.
                              thanks
                              bj4408

Comment

Working...
                              X