Toyota Hilux 2LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyota Hilux 2LT

Cameron, I agree with your post about other resources. That is something that everyone should try to do with their individual vehicles. Joe and I had an off forum discussion about his vehicle. Here is what I replied -

"Unfortunately, every engine is different. Even the 2LT has a mechanical injection pump and a later electrical injection pump, so the techniques to tune the same basic engine will be different with the different pumps.

What I said about gettin a factory manual is the most important step. You need to find out how everything works. Once you know how it works, then you can tweak it to the way you want it.

The thread on the Surf forum can assist you to look at concepts that may or may not be implemented on your vehicle. You can purchase a boost guage for about $60. I didn't install it permanently, I ran the hose in my side window and taped the guage to my dash. All I wanted was to to see what was happening in the manifold. Once I knew how the pressure rose, at what RPMs and at what pressure, then I took it off. The guage is used for diagnostic work, not as a neat looking accessory.

On your system, look for something that delays the extra fuel flow while on boost. There may be an emission control function that delays the fuel flow so the vehicle produces less emissions in traffic.

Sorry I can't be more specific about your Mitsubishi."

When I purchased the Hilux, I didn't know that the engine was a transplant from another vehicle. It was only by doing a bit of research that I relaised it probably came out of a Toyota Surf. Once I had that bit of information, I then went to the Toyota Surf forum for some advice. From there I was able to piece together enough information from various resources (including a French site that had drawings of the 2LT injection pump, and also a British site that had drawings furnished by a fellow in Pakistan!).

Having access to a factory manual would have speeded up the process, but by some convoluted researching on the internet I was able to find what I needed. Recently I have used the Surf forum for some suspension research, again with success.

There are a lot of different forums available on the internet with many people who have probably had the same problems as you posting to those forums.

Comment

howdy folks:

terry Syd - you mention the 2LT turbo

Please to tell if you know where / who I can buy quality parts from for this engine

here in the states and Canada they were never really popular

Please and thanks

My 3b does very well on bio - just not my rubber hoses

peace:

Nomad

Comment

Nomad, for some reason related to Detroit, the Toyota light truck diesels never were imported into the U.S. I believe some may have gone to Canada.

I believe you can get the later Hilux in the U.S. It is called the Tacoma. It is a design that is influenced considerably by the SUV fad. It is bigger, 4-wheel drive, sits higher on bigger wheels - you get the idea.

The early Hilux is a true light truck. It sits lower and has less weight. It has less frontal area and the 2.4 engine is built tough and can take a broad range of fuels through the injector system. I drove out to the bush on a trip and did 650 kms. I climbed two mountain ranges, did 100 kms on a very cobbly dirt road and did a bit of around town driving - I averaged 27.5 miles per gallon (11.5 kms per litre or 8.6 litres per 100 km) on B75.

Some people want to have a 4-wheel drive as they believe that the 4-wheel drive will get better traction in the Mall parking lot. A conventional 4-wheel drive has two conventional differentials, one in front and one in the rear. That means it only has two driving tires - one front, one back. I have a limited slip differential in my 2-wheel drive truck, that means I have two driving tires - the same as on a conventional 4-wheel drive. It also means I have less weight, less mechanical complexity and less mechanical friction to overcome. I go bush a lot and the limited slip differential has gotten me out of heaps of difficult situations.

If you can find an early Hilux diesel (Canada is your best bet), grab it. Set it up properly and you will probably keep it until it rusts apart. Parts are still available for these trucks, I have read of people in the U.K. ordering parts from Australian suppliers. I'm sure there must be parts availability within the U.S.
        Terry Syd
        Last edited by Terry Syd; 1 June 2006, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Howdy terry;

thanks for the note
          Actually the toyota diesel was imported and sold in the US market from 1981- 1983
          We had one on our construction fleet- Weak 5th gear- typical to Toyota's - at least NA models

I am looking to bring in an 85 pickup with a 2LT - the 2.4 L turbo diesel yes?
          I understand these were scarce even for canada - and most guys get parts from your neck of the woods. I have 2 landcruisers with 3b engines and I get parts out of Toyota Canada when I can - or I hunt down under

i thought you would know specific who to contact down there who could supply me readily as I hurry up and wait for parts to flow

For me - as I live in the mountains - I like to galvanize the frames of what i work on and seal the inside body panels with Worth rubberized coating - reckless drivers are oout of my bounds

i have heard of specific rebuild kits for this engine - i know little - is it sleeved or will I have to oversize rings and pistons- Will I be able to find a good repair manual for this engine- etc...

What ever you can offer will be put to good use

Thank you in advance

Peace;

Comment

Nomad, the '85 Hilux would have the earlier engine which has the offset camshaft with rockerarms, that engine was manufactured up to about 1987. I ran one of those engines for 400,000 kms in the old Hiace. However, I don't know how those engines handle the extra stress of a turbocharger.

I mention that as there were some problems with the newer engines having a head cracking problem with overheating. That has now been fixed and people that have had the head cracking problem have simply installed the more robust 3L head.

The 2LT you refer to would be the mechanical injector system with the mechanical boost compensator. I have never heard of any problems with that injection system handling poorly made biodiesel (or straight vegetable oil). It is the system I am running.

The Australian Surf forum has a list of Parts suppliers that may be able to help you -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Here is another link that may provide you with further information -

http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/

This forum in the UK was also a great help for me -

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/index.php?

My brother in Washington State is going through the same problems you are in trying to find a light diesel truck. It seems bizarre to me that North Americans should have such difficulties in acquiring a Hilux. Over here in Oz they are one of the most common vehicles, with parts available anywhere you go.

Comment

howdy terry:

Again thanks for the info:

I have seen a few 2LT pickups in the junk yards in Phoenix area- i get all excited - then dispair when I see the head missing

Your brother should have little trouble - I know the 2 diesel centers in canada are B.C. and Ontario- the latter only for engines as by now the body and frame will be dust from the cancer

patience is always rewarded

Is the same with Landcruisers- 40's and 60's - they are everywhere down there - diesel many - here only big on the west coast and diesels only to canada

I seek my 3BT parts out of Australia and New Zealand - have even looked to South Africa

by the By - if you know where i might get a 13BT exhaust manifold - feel free to share this

Enjoy your weekend

peace:

Comment

Working...
              X