X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which hose?

Originally posted by Captain_caveman View Post
    Gday
    I tried the gates SAE 30R7 and it started swelling and became mushy in a few weeks the stuff that is as good as viton is SAE 30R9 fuel injection hose its meant to be 100% biodiesel compatible but i havnt been able to find any in oz as yet.
    Thanks caveman
    Well that's very interesting then. Maybe the SAE rating has nothing to do with what the hose can carry?
    The stuff I had was a different brand. Stamped on it is (running off down shed to have a look) 'GROMMET RUBBER FUEL HOSE TO SAE 30R7'

The other stuff I had that was crap is 'MACKAY FUEL HOSE SAE 30R6 3169'

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
      Fujrther to my earlier post in this thread I have ditched the ORTAC as it was starting to sweat biodiesel. I don't know if there are different grades of the stuff but mine was not very good.
      Really? How long had you been using it for? What feedstock are you making your bio from? Mine's showing no deterioration after a year - I mostly use cottonseed feedstock

Ortac was only one of a number of rubbers that Blackwoods supply - I might chase up their catalogue and see what other options there are.

Matt - do you have a price on Viton tubing yet?

Comment

Had another look at the SAE specifications by google and man its hard to find anything - the SAE site wants you to join before they give out any info but apparently the j***R*** ratings only cover hoses inpervious to ordinary fuel and oil and the j and r ratings cover things like burst pressure,temperature , radius of bends and other structural elements but not types of rubbber as they are already "fuel and oil hoses"I had another thought and looked at food oil pipes and these may be worth a look, here is one site it may give a clue as to what to look at Rubber Hose, Sheet Rubber, Rubber and Plastic Tubing - Ace Hose & Rubber Company - Shop Online

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
          Fujrther to my earlier post in this thread I have ditched the ORTAC as it was starting to sweat biodiesel.
          Just thought of something - are you absolutely sure it was sweating bio? Are you sure it wasn't wicking up from a leaking hose clamp or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Mark View Post
            Just thought of something - are you absolutely sure it was sweating bio? Are you sure it wasn't wicking up from a leaking hose clamp or something?
            I had 2 runs of Ortac. 1 from the fuel tank to the CAV filter mounted under the tray on the ute and 1 from the CAV to the fuel line up to engine bay. After a couple of weeks both along their full length became soggy.

Blackwoods cattle dog number 04788364

By the specifications I thought it would have been the right stuff but the lot I got didn't seem to be up to the task.

My feedstock is Palm oil.

Comment

I think the Blackwoods hose is a nitrile based (Chemigum) hose. I have had straight cotton seed oil sweat through one manufacturere version of a nitrile based hose. It only happened on a short piece of 5/16" hose the 3/8" was OK.

Comment

I Have found a retail outlet for Bio in Chester Hill.
                Not sure is the price is good though. $1.71 / ltr???? How do I tell if the retail outlet is selling a blend or straight Bio. I know they should tell people. But what should I be looking for??
                Also I have an 89 Turbo Diesel. Mitsu.
                What should I be looking for re rubber corrrosion and

Comment

Originally posted by albrack_blacktwon View Post
                  I Have found a retail outlet for Bio in Chester Hill.
                  Not sure is the price is good though. $1.71 / ltr???? How do I tell if the retail outlet is selling a blend or straight Bio. I know they should tell people. But what should I be looking for??
                  Also I have an 89 Turbo Diesel. Mitsu.
                  What should I be looking for re rubber corrrosion and
                  Just ask them! I did when I filled up at Coolongoolook as it was a simple handwritten 'biodiesel' on the handpump.
                  The cash operator had no clue so asked the manager and he came out and said it's 10%. His look suggested that he wasn't sure that telling me was such a good idea. I wasn't happy initially because I wanted to mix in some B100 but with 10% the engine ran better. They just need to do something about labelling like they have with ethanol so you know what percentage is in there.
                  -Andy

Comment

10 or 20% should not be an issue, I have a big issue with B100 but against the manufacturers limit of 30% I am using 10% which is running fine. If was not going to I would know!

Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I see you guys have been trying to find some good hoses for biodiesel. I would just like to throw in here that we carry Viton Hose for a very reasonable price compared to our competitors located at DudaDiesel.com Biodiesel Supplies Our hose is compatible with B100 and highly recommended when using B100 or other rubber-damaging fuels. We ship world-wide.

Comment

Working...
                      X