Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPHE and CAV order to fit????

Hey team

I've Brought a 30 Plate Heat Ex to fit to my rodeo running b100.My thinking is that i shouldn't have to worry as much about waxes and high melt crud blocking filters if a brew isn't quite right. Is this so?? I've also brought a cav type filter unit. My question is what sequience should this be in should it be like this?

FPHE--CAV and separater--Factory water separator--factory filter-- IP
    This is my way of thinking but happy to hear other options.
    I wants as many peoples input in this as possible DONT be shy.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
    sigpic

Re: FPHE and CAV order to fit????

Sounds about right to me. I used to fit a CAV before my factory filter. I didn't need the heat exchanger as I was using commercial biodiesel, but it's probably a good idea to put before your filters if you have the possibility of waxes etc plugging your filters on colder days.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
      Hey team

I've Brought a 30 Plate Heat Ex to fit to my rodeo running b100.My thinking is that i shouldn't have to worry as much about waxes and high melt crud blocking filters if a brew isn't quite right. Is this so?? I've also brought a cav type filter unit. My question is what sequience should this be in should it be like this?

FPHE--CAV and separater--Factory water separator--factory filter-- IP
      This is my way of thinking but happy to hear other options.
      I wants as many peoples input in this as possible DONT be shy.
      Why the CAV?
      Is it better than the factory filter or just using cheaper elements?
      I don't understand why you would have both. If the HE is to melt the waxes and hmp fats so that they go through the filter then of course it must go before the filter. Problem is it might cool down enough to clog the factory filter in the config described. I would either replace the factory filter with the CAV or leave the CAV off. I would configure as follows: Factory separator--HE--factory filter or CAV--IP. Any hmp material trapped by the filter when engine is cold shoud be melted by the hot fuel coming through.
      Actually what I would do is get another HE and a pollack valve and set up to run SVO. You already have half the parts needed and you could use your B100 for start-up/purge fuel.

Are you going to run the 300D on SVO or bio?
      How's the cyl head repair going?

Comment

For using B100 I think you maybe better off using a Twin Coil heat exchanger. This will give you a double heating effect that you can spread along the fuel system.

first coil --CAV and separater--Factory water separator--second coil --factory filter-- IP.

or

first coil --CAV and separater--Factory water separator--factory filter-- second coil--IP.

These twin coil heat exchangers are more compact and will not take a space. You will als save on fittings.

You can also keep the 30 plate to use on your 300D.

Good luck.
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

They CAV elements are way cheaper about $5 a pop compared to $15 for my ryco element for the Roidio. As for filtering performance i really don't know which is better.

The merc will be bio/svo blends to start but like the rodeo she'll probably EVOLVE.

Waiting on a manual to get the timing marks from for the cam to crank to ip.
          got all parts sorted though. she polished up real nice too.

these twin coils how much and where do i get them from???
          They sound like a good idea.

Thank you all for your responces.
          Cheers
          Nick.
          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
          sigpic

Comment

They CAV elements are way cheaper about $5 a pop compared to $15 for my ryco element for the Roidio.
            So replace the factory filter with the CAV. Put the HE between the separator and the filter.
            I have not yet found any water in the bowl of my CAV after nearly 7,000 km on WVO. Either my oil is quite dry or the CAV does not do a good job of separating. Perhaps I should run my WVO through the factory separator?

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

these twin coils how much and where do i get them from???
              They sound like a good idea.

Thank you all for your responces.
              Try Helton

Cheers
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

As for filtering performance i really don't know which is better.
                this is why i intend to use the factory filter as well.
                Cheers
                Nick.

sigpic

Comment

It is not recommended to run two filters in series. The injection pump in most diesels sucks fuel from the tank through the filter so as to have a constant internal pressure. By putting two in you get twice the restriction and even lower inlet pressure to the injection pump.

The end result is an injection pump sucking even harder to get fuel. It may well work but in my opinion will introduce unwanted stress in an expensive item in the engine bay, giving wear and reduced life.

Besides I have knowledge that the CAV gives a very similar pressure drop compared to a factory toyota filter, has a finer level of filtration and is cheaper so why not use it?

Just my thoughts,
                  Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I would suggest, if you have not already purchased the CAV filter, that you buy the filter housing that has an inbuilt hand lift pump.

Might (will) save frustration when you need to bleed the filter or lines. Might be the way you hold you tongue but I could never get mine to bleed properly - I now use stock filters.

Geoff
                    Telegraph Point NSW
                    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Good advice, get the one with a hand pump, there are at least two models with these. Absolutely required to bleed air when you change filters, which you surely will do.

Alternatively put a fuel bulb in line, good luck though finding one bio resistant.

Matt
                      Matt
                      Last edited by Matt; 29 February 2008, 11:32 AM. Reason: I'm an engineer, spelling is not my game!
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Matt and Geoff
                        Thanks for your commments.
                        my cav is one with 3/8 fittings so flow should slow thus pressure decrease inside the unit thus not causing much extra lift pump effort.I would think that pressure would not rise buy adding more filters in series provided they allowed a pressure drop throgh them with larger inlets and outlets thus hi flow abilities.
                        My factory water sepperator has the primer pump on it so i'll utilise that with the order of components i mentioned in previous posts. i will also make sure its mounted a bit lowere than the water sepperator priming pump. I think this would give the same result.
                        Cheers nick
                        Cheers
                        Nick.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X