BioD in 4JXI 3.0 TDi Jackaroo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying advice for a TDi Jack

I am hopefully going to look at one or two TDi Jackaroos this weekend (a '98 and a '99). Can anybody tell me the important things to look out for when inspecting them?

I'm pretty mechanically minded and have a 3 page generic checklist I always use when looking at 2nd hand cars, but this would be my first diesel and I need to know what specific problems to look for in a Jack. For example:
    • How important is a full service history? (and what parts such as timing belts should have been changed at major service intervals?). Normally I would insist on a full history but there are so few diesel Jacks around I may have to look at ones that don't.
    • Does it matter if it hasn't had the injector recall done yet? If not what damage could have been done to the engine and how can I check for it?
    • How many miles is the 4JX1 good for? I'm guessing on a service life of around 300,000km, so would be aiming to get a vehicle of less than 180,000
    • I know this engine should have a thin engine oil in it. If it has been running for years on generic oil, could this have done any major damage?
    • What parts other than the engine should I look out for, that are known to go wrong on the Jack?

I've tried to post this on the Australia4WD forums, but my account hasn't been "approved" yet to post!
    Sean

Comment

Re: Buying advice for a TDi Jack

Originally posted by pangit
      I am hopefully going to look at one or two TDi Jackaroos this weekend (a '98 and a '99). Can anybody tell me the important things to look out for when inspecting them?

I'm pretty mechanically minded and have a 3 page generic checklist I always use when looking at 2nd hand cars, but this would be my first diesel and I need to know what specific problems to look for in a Jack. For example:
      • How important is a full service history? (and what parts such as timing belts should have been changed at major service intervals?). Normally I would insist on a full history but there are so few diesel Jacks around I may have to look at ones that don't.
      • Does it matter if it hasn't had the injector recall done yet? If not what damage could have been done to the engine and how can I check for it?
      • How many miles is the 4JX1 good for? I'm guessing on a service life of around 300,000km, so would be aiming to get a vehicle of less than 180,000
      • I know this engine should have a thin engine oil in it. If it has been running for years on generic oil, could this have done any major damage?
      • What parts other than the engine should I look out for, that are known to go wrong on the Jack?

I've tried to post this on the Australia4WD forums, but my account hasn't been "approved" yet to post!
      As with every car if you can see a full service history then this is great. However it is not essential.
      Note that there is a new injector recall out now, released this month. If the prievious recall hasn't been done and the car is still running then chances are there aren't any probs as the problems that arise from the prievious injector issues, you would get expect rising oil levels and or engine run-away.
      Have a look at the oil level, check to see that it is not above the full mark by more than 5mm. If it is, it can be an indication of injector issues. however under the new recall, the injectors are replaced and the oil changed if this is the case.
      Things to ask are "when were the valve clearances last checked (should be every 60,000)"
      The timing belt in the diesels have a service life of 200,000Kms
      Ask what oil they use. a 5w30 or 5w40 is strongly recommended especially if you are in a cooler climate. Mobil Delvac 1 is probably the best oil out there for these engines. Next would be Penrite HPR DIESEL5. The oil needs to meet CH-4 or better. If they have used some other oil that doesn't meet the specs, then the engine probably would be "dirty" ie soot build up. However changing to a suitable oil and will gradually rectify this, more so if you include an oil flush treatment. The only reason for the thin oil requirement was for cold starts, due to the Hydraulic-actuated Electronic-controlled Unit Injectors (HEUI) requiring oil pressure to operate right from the instant you hit start. A thicker oil should have caused to many dramas, other than cold starting issues.

As for all other diesels, watch for excessive smoke on start and during running. It is nothing unusual for them to blow a small amount under load or revving at around 2800-3000rpm.

I know there is a lot of info to digest however let us know if ya have other questions. email v k 1 n f i AT g m a i l DOT c o m.
      I am sure you will be happy with one of these fine vehicles....
      Save a Whale..... Collect the whole set!!!!:D

Comment

Re: BioD in 4JXI 3.0 TDi Jackaroo

Thanks for the advice, Jack. I'm actually going to see a couple tomorrow, one a 98 and a 97 which has the pre-4JX1 engine in, so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Once I've bought one I'll be starting to build my reactor - biodiesel here I come!
        Sean

Comment

Well, I bought my new Jackaroo at the weekend! It's a 98 model with the 4JX1 engine in, and although it's done 191k it is immaculate, and has had all the recalls done.

Thanks a lot to Jack who has been a great help, both here and over email. I'll be giving it an oil and filter change in the next couple of weeks, and see how it goes from there.

I am planning on building my biodiesel reactor in the garage soon, with a view to running it on B100 eventually.
          Sean

Comment

Good to hear buddy,
            Hope to hear many years of happy motoring. Keep us posted on how you go. Not sure on how B100 will run. I would imagine fine, the B80 was okay in mine. Let us know

Cheers mate
            Jack
            Save a Whale..... Collect the whole set!!!!:D

Comment

Working...
            X