BIO number plate sticker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIO number plate sticker

Good points raised. We should investigate this with the RTA. Good point too about protecting the name/image/logo, you are right, I don't think any if us would be likely to try and cash in on this, but there could certainly be other unscrupulous folk who could.

Step 1 - check the state laws regarding size & placement on the number plate, specifically also to check if a non regulation sticker (such as for LPG) is allowed.
    Step 2 - Form some sort of National body representing biofuel users that can be a legal entity, rather than just a website and can own intellectual property etc.
    Step 3 - Find some way to trademark whatever cute marketing promo ideas are used to keep them safe from misuse by the less scrupulous.

Who's gonna volunteer for step 1 in each of their states?

Let's not stop investigating pricing/printing etc for this one while we wait though!

Good idea also re downloadable logos/slogans etc for people to print themselves. In fact if anyone wants to post up logo submissions please do!
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Robert I have had a talk with the Local Office Admin/manager what ever they want to call themsleves these days.

I was informed basicly that unless it was required by legislation eg. LPG stickers then we COULD be in trouble.

I pushed a little further to ask were in the legislation DOES it say that we CAN'T and they could not tell me, then I pushed a little harder and it was just his personal opinion so I am back to step one NO WERE

I have tried searching the Legislation quickly and can't at this point even find the section that requires the LPG stickers nor can I find anywere at a quick glance were there is anything there that would stop us from sticking them on.

I am going to see if I can get some help from a lawyer friend and see if he knows were it would be but he might not, he is more involved in criminal case's rather than civil

Could be an issue in NSW that unless we find someone in RTA that wants to help and KNOWS what they are talking about we might not be able to find a quick answer.
      Dave

Comment

This is all getting too difficult and bogged down by virtual bureaucracy!

In Vic there is no offence for placing a sticker on the number plate as long as the numbers and/or letters are clearly visible at 20 metres distance. (Road Safety (Vehicle) Regulations 1999 reg. 222)

I agree that whatever symbol is used it should be freely available for everyone but the spirit of the idea was to produce a professional, high quality UV vinyl sticker that would be cheap so everyone could have access to it.

I conducted a search and there are no registered trademarks similar to the suggested sticker (my avatar) but there are plenty of business names and trademarks with bio in them. Personally I would be happy to use BIO as we are not using the sticker to sell anything and "bio" is an abbreviation for "biodiesel". If anyone has a better symbol or idea let me know.

Update:

A non-reflective sticker will cost approx $1 a pair. A reflective sticker would cost approx $2 a pair (not incl. postage etc.) and take at least 3 weeks to order.

Anyone still interested?
        Jeff & Sarah (but really Sarah) ;)

Comment

Yes, I will definitely order 1 pair if you go ahead, and I would prefer the reflective version.

I would also be interested in bumper stickers - I know this was discussed once before but were they every actually made? Something like "Powered by Biodiesel" or maybe the Sydney Biodiesel logo (as per Robert's avatar).
          Sean

Comment

Don't get me wrong Sarah I am still up for them. I have been through the
            Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1998

And have only found 2 sections that they could get people on being.

85 Number-plate and registration certificate and label offences
            (1) The driver of a registrable vehicle is guilty of an offence if the vehicle is used on a road or in a road related area:
            (c) with a number-plate obscured, defaced, or otherwise not legible or displayed contrary to the requirements of clause 24 (1),

24 Display of number-plates
            (1) Unless otherwise approved by the Authority, a registered operator of a registered registrable vehicle must ensure that a vehicle number-plate issued by the Authority for the vehicle is permanently affixed to the vehicle so that (assuming the vehicle to be on level ground):

And then it just goes on to say in measurements were the number plates are to be placed.

So they could say that the Plate has been defaced with a sticker placed on it but I also can't seem to find were the regulations say that the LPG sticker MUST and is ALLOWED to be afixed to the number plate so really WHO KNOWS.

I would go for 4 pairs of the reflective stickers

As for the bumper stickers I would be up for a few of them as well.

Intresting to see what alternatives there are for what to put on them.
            Dave

Comment

Sarah, I am definitely still interested in the reflective versions, please go for it and I'd like a sheet of 50 please (maybe more if enough people are interested... I suppose at 2 for each plate, that would only cover 25 cars).

Re the legalities, they do say it is easier to seek forgiveness than permission, so if we cannot find out the law ourselves, maybe it will have to find us if we have done any wrong . Good work Jacka - keep pushing for a better answer, we'd all like to know.

Pangit, I've never got around to a Sydney Biodiesel sticker, despite much discussion. I've got the logo ready in a format suitable to print, it just would take time, effort and money to make it happen. There have also been some good suggestions for stickers from forum users, but thus far no one has offered to go any get the printing done. I've not got around to looking for quotes myself. If anyone wants to take up this cause, please do!
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

With the number plate sticker, given there is mention of defacing a plate, I would myself be steering clear of attaching a sticker. I'm usually the kind of guy that also subscribes to the " better to ask forgiveness ( if your caught) than ask for permission" theroy but given the couple of occasions I have run across the highway patrol gestapo that feel compelled to get you on whatever they can, I think caution is the smarter option here.

Police have discretion as to wether to book you or not and if an orificer decides you have defaced a plate ( which I think is a pretty stiff penality from memory) then even if you are in the right, you have to go through the hassel of proving that. For me and what putting a sticker on a plate is worth, I rather just avoid any chance of trouble in the first place.

Thinking about it, I reckon it would be far better to have stickers that go on the back window like car dealers use than on the number plate anyway. If you have a sticker that is say 15cm across by say 5 cm high, you can get a lot more recognition for your logo and put a message on it if wanted than what you can with something say an inch square.

It is a lot easier to see a window size sticker and recognise what it means than those tiny LPG size stickers. For this reason and the legality point, I think bumper / window size stickers would be far more effective in getting the intended message across to the general public who by and large don't have much of a clue what Bio is.

For this reason, I think a larger sticker that can be more easily seen and have a explainatory message added would be a far better method of educating the public.

Comment

Robert

I am up for going and getting pricing and finding a printer to do bumper/window stickers.

What do people want on them?

How many colours?

What Size do people want?

As I drive as a courier at the moment I still have several weeks were I will be making deliveries to many printers who produce or can get produced Bumper Stickers So I am Up for it.

I want to see this move foreward and am very big on wanting to get a national organisation moving forward so we can all fight the good fight so to say rather than State by State and become fragmented. So I am in for a penny in for a pound. I have been making/studing and advacating BioDiesel for as many years as I can remember, my uncle is a fitter and turner by trade and has always been understanding how the diesel engine works and the fact that when the engine was first invented and shown to the world it ran on SVO so he has always pushed and prodded me in that direction.

And now to find somewere to work together with others in AUS with a like mind and ideal is a place to vent and support and UP UP and AWAY.
                  Dave

Comment

Jacka
                    Mate reading through all your posts.Good stuff.Now can you do us all a favour.It would be interesting to find out how RTA goes about making the number plates.They must have a rate contratct with some mob who supplies them and that way they keep control.Right?Now what if we as a body(So important that we organize ourselves and start having a legal entity...which will give us all the benifits of using the law to make the laws....I like using the system...thats why it is there for...for us...our welfare ) approach the RTA and ask them to issue upfront a Number plate with the design,logo whatever we think of is best for all cars that are running on bio diesel.bio ethanol,hydrogen...whatever.
                    If one can have personalized number plates why can't we have ours???

Another thing I was thinking off is that if we can organize ourselves we can collectively take advantage of Clean Defence Mechanism and carbon credits ,which means that we actually get paid for using Bio Diesel.
                    I think that is fair.Or atleast that could offset the tax levied on it.If Industries are benifiting on a macro level by using the carbon credit game.I don't see why on a micro level we can't use it as an instrument.
                    But foremost is to have a well structured organization going.

Well just a thought again.

Cheers
                    Sauman
                    Use the system.It's to help you they say.

Comment

Originally posted by JSA
                      I have come up with a concept sticker (see attachment) .

Cheers
                      I like it!
                      Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

I looked at my numberplate yesterday and it's the new NSW style which is 3 sets of 2 numbers/letters with no gap in the middle for a sticker (e.g. AB 12 CD). So I think it's out for me anyway.

I'm still keen on a bumper/window sticker, and no issues with legality make it a simpler option. Robert's logo would be great for me as I live in Sydney, but I imagine it would have a limited take up for people in other states! So something simple and generic like "Powered by Biodiesel" would be good. There is a US based website that sells loads of different designs here, which we could either use for inspiration or just order directly from him. Although at US$4 each + US$4 for shipping they aren't cheap.
                        Sean

Comment

New number plate ... no gap...
                          I have also a new number plate and the sticker would fit perfectly well because it happens to be 73 so it fits between the 7 and the 3....however...if i had a set of mumbers that did not allow to fit one in the center...say 96 I would fit one over one of the gaps .... or one over each gap...

Comment

Really good idea, I would definitely go for a few bumper or preferably rear screen stickers.

perhaps

"If the govt were interested, I would be using BioDiesel"

The canola droplet in the forum header would be a good sort of background. Needs to be simple with a strong message?

Perhaps the BD trip this weekend could ask for sponsorship?

Geoff
                            Telegraph Point NSW
                            Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                            Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

I've got a few bumper stickers that Morris was giving out at the biodiesel station. He seemed to have plenty of them then. Morris? I'm happy to give one to anyone who swings past my place in Newtown, Sydney until mine run out.

The stickers have "Powered by Biodiesel" and the ABG logo on them, and are about 300mm long

Comment

I would be interested in both a bumper and rear window sticker..... reflective type. License plate numbers will not allow plate sticker to fit.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X