Common Rail engines using b100 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Rail engines using b100 diesel

i have a 2008 ford ranger 65000 klms and a 2009 ford focus 18000 klms both running on 100% home made bio washed 3 times and then air dried filtered through a normal truck type fuel filter then poured straight into the vehicles in winter we put 10 litres of dino per tank no problems at all have yet to happen except frozen fuel once or twice in the ranger all we do then is restart the engine and let it idle for half an hour and of we go again probably forgot to put dino diesel in it

Comment

Originally posted by 250downunder View Post
      Thanks Tony,
      I did find the first paragraph in HJ80's post confusing - and still do! However my response was to his statement "if you have a CR diesel 'do not water wash, air wash only' Fixed. This is misleading, as is the statement "by not adding water, you don't have the problem with Biodiesel". The problem is not with water washing Bio but FAILING TO REMOVE ALL OF THE WATER FROM THE BIO following water washing.
      Here we go, water versus air - I'm outa here!
      yeah thanks Tony Comment deleted by Moderator

Originally posted by 250downunder View Post
      Thanks Tony,
      I did find the first paragraph in HJ80's post confusing - and still do
      Let me explain. There is a way around just about everything to do with bio and using it... If you have problem with water in you bio because you water wash then air wash, Or dry your bio properly, Comment deleted by Moderator. and for that matter you can't have water in Dino either as Tony had to point out to you, water in any fuel in a diesel fuel lines will kill the injectors... I just thought that was common knowledge...

I don't want to sound like I am on the attack it is just that I am really passionate about making bio and everyone makes theirs different to the next guy, then when you get someone posting a negitive without offering a solution helps no one...

I wanted to offer a quick solution to water in bio problem which is air washing as I would like to see more CR engines out ther running B100.

Next time instead of a negitive only responses try offering a solution, now that would be helpful...
      Tony From West Oz
      Vice Chairperson of WARFA
      Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5 April 2010, 10:23 PM. Reason: Moderation
      HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
      Canberra

Comment

250downunder, KP started making bio many years ago and was water washing in the early days, he's now air washing. I've gone the opposite way and started air washing and now water wash. KP also distills a good proportion of the Meth from his bio and glyc before he air wash's and I think this makes a big difference.

All the points he raised are very valid, especially in relation to water in any fuel and it's effect on injectors. Likewise offering solutions to problems rather than just problems without consideration of options is preferred.

Back to the topic of this thread. I've been running B50 in my Common Rail VW Golf (2005) for the past 6 months without issue. It doesn't have a DPF.

There has been a pretty good write up in the past about why you don't want a DPF, a quick search will explain.

So if the vehicles you are looking at run a DPF then you might consider another vehicle or engine. For example, I'm looking at replacing my 80 Series with a 100 Series. The 100 Series will have a 1HD-FTE and not a V8 as I know that the 1HD-FTE will run very nicely, with only the usual material incompatabilities, with B100. Personally I'm not yet convinced with the Common Rail engines and B100.
        maverick_sr71
        Last edited by maverick_sr71; 5 April 2010, 09:15 PM.
        Maverick
        Canberra

Comment

My VW Golf is the last of the 2.0l TDI engines without a DPF. I intend to increase from 30% to 50% Bio in the near future. I am well aware of the DPF problems.
          It was interesting to read that you went from air to water washing; I did the same and and have probably overstated my reasons, and have copped due flack. I would be interested to hear your reasons for going to water washing.

Comment

Lets keep the washing thread in the washing thread and leave this one as a Common Rail thread.
            Maverick
            Canberra

Comment

Agree, but pardon my ignorance and im sure i will know once it is said, but when you refer to DPF? what is that. Again once it is said, i bet i slap my head because it is obvious.

Im interested in runing the 2005 patrol 3lt with bio, and i put it down to cleaning and filtering with both methods, but will see which is better with my own experiments. Cant afford a blown pump for a lazy $6000..

But its all with each and how we prepare and feel comfortable...

Comment

Diesel Particulate Filter

OK, you can stop slapping your forehead.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I have been using B100 in my 03 pajero cr turbo for over 35,000k's. Sofar no problems and my mechanic is very impressed with its performance to date.I have not noticed any changes in its performance when changing to dino (when touring-Simpson desert in September, Flinders Ranges at Easter) or changing back to B100.I am of the opinion the vehicle runs better on bio! The fuel is water or mist washed for about an hour,(after moved from the reactor), settled for a few, drained, then bubbled for a week, then transfered to the holding tank and filtered through a 5 and 0.5 water filters for about 2 hours. When transfered to the car it is filtered through the same system. Thats what I do. Cheers Brenden
                  2003 3.2 DiD Pajero Exceed
                  2003 2.8 td Triton Ute
                  2005 1.9 tdi pump deuce Golf

Comment

my ranger wouldnt start this morning cold frosty night winters come and snuck up on me have to start mixing abit of dino diesel in it now that the colder nights are hear frost didnt lift till ten o clock hear in ballarat

Comment

Originally posted by sean musso View Post
                      my ranger wouldnt start this morning cold frosty night winters come and snuck up on me have to start mixing abit of dino diesel in it now that the colder nights are hear frost didnt lift till ten o clock hear in ballarat
                      Sean is the place where you are called Bittern as in bitterly cold?
                      I remember my first road trip to Melbourne when I was 17, camped in car at Ballarat, woke up freezing at some ungodly hour, car caked in frost. Started off again to get heater working, very thankful I'd fitted the heater, after market option would you believe. It was a long time ago
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

2005 Nissan Pathfinder R51 (new model, new engine, pre-DPF versions)

Have been running mostly B100, sometimes various random mixes with occasional dino topups or fills when out of town or as needed, for a little over a year.

No problems whatsoever with the car - but problems getting more B100 now that Fina has fallen in some sort of deep hole.

Most recent B100 fill was 180L in Townsville (from Andre at reefuel.com.au) two weeks ago, at the start of the return leg of a long trip. Was very happy to find Bio in Townsville, very disappointed to get back to Melb and find that Fina's problems are apparently still ongoing, and this city has been thrown back to the dino age. Perhaps I should have stayed there.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                          Started off again to get heater working, very thankful I'd fitted the heater, after market option would you believe. It was a long time ago
                          That is right, heaters used to be optional extra's on Australian built cars. They had to change that when the Jap cars started being sold here.
                          Those were the good old days. They were good because I was young.

Comment

I ran 100% biodiesel in my e320 cdi 05' for a good 6 months with not a single problem. In fact,the only reason I went back to USLD was the loss of subsidy and ,consequently, the cost benefit of buying the fuel (not to mention the added hassle of having to store the Biodiesel myself in 55 gallon drums. Now that the price of USLD is going through the roof, I'm thinking about going back. Yes, I'm willing to take the risk. I would love nothing more than to prove all the naysayers wrong by running my car out to 500k without a rebuild or anything other than regular required maintenance, but it has to make economic sense first (I'm a suburbia boy and don't have the space or the raw resources to justify making it myself).
                            The jury seems to be split on this one. I do respect the opinions of manufacturers and many very skilled and competent technicians. However I have yet to see a factual account of someone destroying a CDI engine (or even describing a fuel-delivery system failure) in a common rail vehicle running with high quality biodiesel. If they are out there, please post the links in a response.
                            I say this with all due respect as I think it is a shame that more isn't being done develop and promote the use of biodiesel. One day, maybe not too far a way, someone will figure out the secret to extracting it from cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) and then it will move from being what they like to call a "boutique fuel" incapable of ever meeting the diesel demand to a widely-available environmentally friendly solution that just may even make the engine blocks last longer due to higher lubricity.
                            Why isn't more being done to facilitate running cleaner burning engines : )
                            Tony From West Oz
                            Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 27 February 2011, 11:23 PM. Reason: Removed off site links

Comment

Gday,I have a 2003 Peugeot 406 that has a common rail motor.I have replaced the high pressure pump twice in 15 months.I have pulled the pump apart and the only thing that i believe is causing them to fail is the piston (3 of them) which is the size of a pencil end up sticking because of polymerisation over time.The pump is simple in design and has inlet and a outlet valve in each chamber.The symptoms were that it became harder to start,but once it started it ran ok.The pistons operated on a cam and their return is activated buy a spring.If one of the pistons or plungers stick at top of its stroke then there is no pressure or fuel to the common rail.I am going to get a second opinion from Geewizztoo this weekend.Will give a update next week.Regards Westwinds

Comment

I've run SoyDieselB100 in a Skoda Octavia '07 (PD1.9) and more recently Superb '09 (CR2.0) for a total of 50,000 km over the last year. Will keep using it as it is available. Last month the only B100 retailer in Sydney pulled B100 from the driveway but still sells B20. I get B100 from Kempsey whenever I drive through (150lt at a time). This is EN 14214 certified fuel from Port Kembla. Last week I completed a trip from Sydney to Yass to Sydney running B20 and got 4.4l/100km each way averaging 92km/h.
                                mikepotts64
                                Last edited by mikepotts64; 2 May 2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X