Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Rail engines using b100 diesel

Hello all from Pommieland.

Just extracted some very useful info from this forum re DPF's as I am likely to replace my 2000 W202 Merc 220CDI with a newer model and was researching the DPF situation.

By way of a thank you and to put some (hopefully) useful info back in to the forum I have been making bio for a good few years (dry washing - but probably best not to get into the washing discussion again) and I have run the following vehicles on B100 all year round in northern England (late last year we had a run of at least 3 weeks where it didn't get above freezing even during the day and 24" of snow!). Both the Merc and the Mitsubishi started without difficulty and ran perfect.

Merc W202 C Class estate 220 CDI - in excess of 80,000km (50k miles)
    Merc ML270CDI - 20,000km
    Mitsubishi Shogun (Pajero) 3.2 DID - 20,000km
    VW Touareg 2.5 R5 - around 15,000km so far

The VW needed to 'settle in' so to speak on B100, it took a week or two for it to start instantly on the bio, but does now, but has aways run faultlessly so far.

Hope this info is helpful. Keep up the good work down under! Thanks.

Neil.

Comment

I ran B50 for some time in my Suzuki grand vitara without having any troubles and again the service department never once complained. I won't go into the bl@0dy DPF problems I had with my 2010 model though. I miss the 2008 model , no problems but the damage a tail gating semi makes
      Anyway good luck.
      Michael
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

The thing I find most disappointing is the sense that manufacturers and governments are only paying lip-service to environmental concerns. I can fully understand car makers not wanting to provide warranty support for new cars being run on poor quality, home-brew WVO biofuel (and I fully accept not all home produced fuel will be poor, much is probably of an excellent standard), but to also blanket-ban commercially produced, high-grade WVO fuel is really annoying.

Commercially made WVO biofuel isn't really much cheaper in the UK, but it would still save me around £7 per fill-up and more importantly, I'd feel a lot happier running my car on a carbon-neutral product derived from waste oil.

DPF issues aside (which I agree are a concern for folks who do lots of short trips), I expect that there are few technical reasons why a modern DI diesel engine can't be run on WVO biodiesel providing it is of a sufficiently high standard. Unfortunately with the 'Not Warrantied' threat hanging over our heads, it's not a risk that many owners will be willing to take....

Comment

Hiya fellow greasers and oilers
          Found this today. A french study on long term use of B50 vs dino diesel in Big trucks and common rail passenger cars http://www.ebb-eu.org/studiesreports/AEA2006_GATEAU 50% 12 years FRANCE.pdf
          Common rail Peugeot and Citroen. Pug did 230k kms over 5 years
          Makes good reading for Common rails.(only 2 cars tho )
          farmerpete
          Last edited by farmerpete; 22 October 2012, 09:49 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Working...
          X