X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Musso / Rexton 2.9L Turbodiesel Injector Pump fault

Originally posted by penangke View Post
    Probably no help to you, but...

My auto Musso would not go into reverse. I "fixed" it by buying one form Melbourne wreckers for $800 delivered to Bris. He claimed it had only done 40,000 Kms. If true, it was worth it I reckon. Anyhow it has done about 10,000 k now and all fine.
    Oh yeh, it also would jump down to 3rd for no reason. New box did the same. looked it up on British site and people said it was a common problem. Needed to change the Throttle sensor.(ABOUT $100 for the thing) Sure enough, fixed it immediately.
    Changing heavy auto gearbox is not easy though, so another fix would be better for two reasons- money and work.
    My first Musso had that issue also. I just had to park so that I didn't need Reverse to drive away (when engine was cold). Once the transmission was up to temperature it worked well in all gears.

UPDATE:
    I had a friend check the OBDCII port but the scanner would not connect to the car, so I am no better off than before.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Today the "new" Musso was missing badly on one pot. When I got it home, I lifted the bonnet to find a cracked injector line for #5 cylinder had sprayed fuel all over the engine. Fortunately, Veggie oil is not as flammable as diesel. Luckily, that one is the easiest to remove, only needing to unclip 3 supports, loosen one bolt and undo the nuts at the IP and injector. Most of the others need the Inlet manifold to be removed to access them.

I pulled the same one of the spare running Musso (no A/C, no heater) to get it going properly.
      Now I am looking for a replacement injector line so I can get that Musso running again.
      does anyone have a local wreckers who will sell a #5 injector line? Happy to pay for it and postage too.

It is a good thing that I can diagnose and repair minor issues on these cars.
      Little things like this would stop many people in their tracks.

I also found that the transmission was overfilled by about 500mL. Most likely it was filled when cold, to the correct level for hot oil.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

A few thoughts about the Musso Auto.

It was made by BTR in Adelaide- basically the same one used in the Falcon.
        The TPS causing it to arbitrarily "shift" is a known problem, just shifts down to third whenever it wants to and then, eventually back into 4th if you are lucky. It is probably a wire wound potentiometer that has become dirty and needs cleaning. In the good old days a bit of metho or iso and a Q tip would have fixed the problem in a minute. Now they are sealed and unserviceabe by mere mortals like us.
        I fixed this problem the first time by "shooting" lots of WD40 down the shaft while working it back and forth. it worked fine for several years. When it started playing up the second time this did not fix it so I soaked the whole thing in metho for about 10 minutes and then worked the shaft back and forth. Sit and dry in the sun for a day or three and it t worked fine again. However, I did eventually buy a new one just on spec and install it. I'm getting too old to muck around with crap. I still carry the old one in the glovebox "Just in case":

The Musso will not engage into reverse if the engine is running above an idle.
        The musso has a high idle on cold start that returns to normal something like 30 to 60 seconds after starting. I timed it once but can not remember. I know I can start the car and drive around down the back lane and stop at my gate and it will still be in high idle.
        Just recently, on 2 different mornings, my car would not go into reverse until the high idle returned to normal. I suspect the problem is the high idle has become too high to allow the car transmission to engage reverse.
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22 January 2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

G'day Tony,

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          UPDATE:
          I had a friend check the OBDCII port but the scanner would not connect to the car, so I am no better off than before.
          Tony

Unfortunately, back in the dark days when these Musso's and Rexton's were manufactured, they required a special reader called a "scan 100". As I recall, there are other Korean cars that used the Scan 100 such as Daewoo which took over Ssang Yong.

tillyfromparadise
          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22 January 2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I have sourced new replacement parts for this valve. The ones without the green rubber seal will work, I don't know why the one I tried didn't work - perhaps I didn't bleed enough air from the IP before giving up on it.

I managed to source 4 of these valves from Korea, but with the freight, the cost is high. (cheaper than buying another Musso though) at US$53.22 (~Au$64 plus GST = $70)
            As a result, I decided to buy 4 of the valves as I wanted one as a spare and one to fix the faulty one in the Musso.
            I am happy to on sell 2 of these for half of what I paid for them ($35 plus $13 postage to anywhere in Oz)
            or 1 for 1/4 of what I paid for them ($17.50 plus $13 postage to anywhere in Oz)

Message me if you need one of these.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Good to hear you have found the unobtainable part Tony. Waiting now to hear you have both vehicles running again.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I have the parts and now have had time to install it in the Green tray back Musso. All is good in Musso World!

I have a buyer for the 2 spare return line pressure relief valves.

I can send members the part number and seller if anyone needs to buy a replacement.

Thanks for your support.
                Tony.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Congratulations on sorting out your mischievous Mussos Tony. We went on a 2000km round trip towing the camper last month and the Jack went better than ever. I’d asked the diesel workshop chap if he could set the pump up for vege oil so he said he would use colder oil when testing it. They don’t use diesel but a special oil heated to 40 degrees or so. I did need to set the pump timing myself using a homemade dial indicator. Worked a treat.
                  Johnnojack
                  4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                  Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I have another issue with the Musso,The Vacuum pump only draws 250mBar of vacuum (half of what it should )
                    Does anyone have a spare vacuum pump for a Musso?

I am also looking locally, but few wreckers carry Ssangyong vehicles.
                    Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                    X