Toyota Prado and fuel tank/s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Prado and fuel tank/s

We have just purchased a Toyota Prado (2004) with the intention to convert it to SVO. I found that the so-called dual fuel tanks are in fact one large tank. There is only one filling point and they automatically, electronically switch over when the primary tank is empty. I didn't realise this when I bought it. I have enquired with Toyota about isolating the tanks so I can use one for start up/shut down and the other for VO. They say it is very expensive to do so and didn't have any experience with anyone doing so, and thought I was crazy. I contacted a few other fuel tank people and got the same answer. Apparrently there is a transfer pump in the sub tank that fills the primary tank and if separated would not be able to adequately supply the fuel system. If I used the original tank/s for VO would the transfer pump handle the movement of VO into the primary tank (like diesel)?

I am thinking of just getting a smaller diesel tank for start up/shut down and using the existing tank/s for VO.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with my situation? Would it be more cost effective to isolate and add a lift pump to the second tank?

I am still gathering information to make the most efficient effective SVO conversion.

Cheers,
    Simon

Re: Toyota Prado and fuel tank/s

Is this a common rail injection system? They are trickier to convert (but possible) I would be surprised if the original fuel pump will pump veg oil betwen the tanks, but I have been surprised before.

I think elsbett (elsbett.com) can convert these engines (1KD-FTV?) they supply second fuel tank, relays, wiring, fuel heaters and electric pumps.

So I guess the short answer is, no I cant really help.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: Toyota Prado and fuel tank/s

Hi, I am also interested in using VO although in a 2002 Prado. Has anyone had any success? Thanks Darren

Comment

Working...
      X