Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Excessive smoke

Hi Fitian,

I'm not saying for sure the Pollak 6 port valves the problem but just that I have had a similar problem myself and only solved after understanding that cross contamination was occurring and modifying the use of my diesel tank to minimise the level of contamination. If you do a little searching and reading on some of the US sites, particularly Frybrid, you'll find a lot of those guys try to get almost zero veggie in their diesel.

Anyway, I'm not bagging the use of Pollak 6 port simply highlighting cross contamination, and I'm still using my 6 port at this stage. For the sake of the excercise it's worth draining some tank diesel and and comparing the colour with what you get at the bowser, also worth putting your samples in the fridge/freezer to see if it gels or worse still in my case, set solid......

Regards,

Cheeky

Comment

Hi Cheeky

Thanks for your thoughts. However, the Pollak valve would have nothing whatever to do with causing the smoke while running on veg oil. I don't have a problem when it runs on diesel at all. It will smoke while standing at the lights even after a good 30 minute oil run at 90km/hr, but the smoke disappears within 60 seconds of switching back to diesel.

While some cross-contamination occurs with any setup to some degree, with my system I can safely say it's so minimal that it's not worth worrying about. I fill my tank with diesel and it lasts me approx 2 months (About 4000km). The diesel in the clear filter is still clear after all this time.

While I'm suspecting the GP heater more and more, I'm looking forward to having a look at the injectors, although I did not check them before starting to run on oil, so I won't really know if they're any worse than they were. In any case they're probably due for a service anyway!
      bruceT
      Last edited by bruceT; 17 November 2006, 08:15 AM.
      Cheers
      Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
      1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
      1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
        While I'm suspecting the GP heater more and more, I'm looking forward to having a look at the injectors, although I did not check them before starting to run on oil, so I won't really know if they're any worse than they were. In any case they're probably due for a service anyway!
        Hello Bruce,

If your thinking is getting you to point the finger at the GP heater then how about placing a pre filter after it abd before the injectors? It will only cost you a $3 filter and a couple of clamps. Or change the thermostate so it switchs off at lower temp. Also if your engine runs perfectly normal on Diesel then the injectors are working fine. Don't you think?

After installing this new twin coil heater, I started to notice some white smoke at idling after a long run. It is not that bad though. It actually sends the aroma of fish n' chips all over the place .

Best of everything

Fitian
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

I guess vegetable oil being harder to spray would be the reason it smokes on veg and not diesel. Perhaps as the combustion temperatures drop when the car idles, this causes the spray to burn worse, causing the temperatue in the combustion chamber to drop further.

I have no idea if my merc does this as it does not spend too much time in traffic. By the time its hot, I am out of town.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
          X